Author Topic: New Survivor 308  (Read 764 times)

Offline Gutshot

• Trade Count: (0)
New Survivor 308
« on: February 03, 2006, 02:08:30 PM »
I picked it up at Wall mart today it took 7 days to come in.  $215 out the door (not bad). I love the balance on it. Got it in my gun room at 4:00 today and have done the following so far to it.  
Re-mounted the scope rail (Loc tite)
Put bushing in forearm  
Cleaned it up in and out  
Mounted a 3x9x40 VXII (Bore Sighted)  

It came with a cheap but functional sling. It has the extractor not the ejector. The reciever has almost a park finish to it and the barrel has a normal blue. The scope mounts I had on hand are low mounts and the scope just clears the hammer. I think if it had a lighter barrel it would be too light. The trigger is very good crisp and clean.  

Range comes tomorrow if it does not rain. If it does Ill take a few shots of the porch with it. I will see how it shoots as is now then see if I need to flitz the chamber and barrel and such. Ill try some rem 150grn and win 150grn along with some wolf ammo Once I have this barrel shooting well I plan to get a 204 Ruger Fluted and a 450 Marlin Barrels for it. Those three calibers should cover about everything I need and alot more. The Walmart salesman said he liked the way it looked and said he was going to get one and invited me to his clubs range this weekend. I have no compiants yet.  

I hope I make out better with this one than the 270 I had a few years back.

Sincerely,

AL

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
New Survivor 308
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 06:22:13 AM »
Congrats AL, Looking forward to your range report! :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
New Survivor 308
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:38:33 AM »
Yeap, sounds like your on the right track. From all accounts I remember the 308 Bulls shoot really well. Keep us informed.
-Aaron

Offline Gutshot

New Survivor 308
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 01:45:36 PM »
OK Here it is as of today. The rain moved out and it is very nice spring like weather. Very little wind about 55 deg.

Picked up a box of 180 rem cor-loct and a box of rem 150 psp cor-loct. Maine Military Supply has buy one get one on Remington ammo there is little left.

Remember this is off of my tailgate sitting on a bucket.

Zeroed at 50 to 55 yards paced off with the 180grn grouped about 2 inches.

Fired the rest of the 180s and got about the same group size.

Moved on to the 150s and got one ragged hole about 3/4 inches. I was very shocked. I was prepared for a long break in period. About two more groups opened up a bit Because I didnt let the barrel cool. They opened up to about 1.5 then 2 inch. Decided the metel plate I have at 320 yards or so was looking like a possibility. It measures 8x12x3/8 inches nialed to a cedar fence post. I let it cool down and got the wheeler out. Fired one at it and missed (no bang) second shot I thought I heard somthing through the muffs but not sure. Third shot Definately was a hit bang. I jumped on the  wheeler and drove out. Sure enough a nice dent dead centerand a nick off of one side.Flew back on the wheeler and was hitting it about every other shot. I am very happy and I think its going to get better with some home rolled ammo. 150 grn seems to work well I will stick with those for now. Trigger is not as good as I thought but still not bad.I think it will break in nicely.

AL

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
New Survivor 308
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 01:54:46 PM »

Offline Gutshot

New Survivor 308
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »
Thanks for the link. I read that before and tried it out on an older shotgun frame. I plan on getting a 20 slugger barrel on that frame it came out very good. Thanks agian. I think I got a good one here.

AL

Offline myarmor

New Survivor 308
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 03:02:13 AM »
That marrying the trigger method works well. I used it on 2 of my SB-2 receivers and it made them a lot smoother. Just try not to press too hard or let the hammer slam shut with all that thumb pressure behind it. It's just hard on the internals of the action. My 2 cents.

Offline rms4570hr

• Avid Poster
New Survivor 308
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 04:25:37 AM »
Hey gutshot do you remember what the wal-mart product number was on the suvivor 308 my stepson's wanting one and the wal-mart by us can't find the gun listed in thier H&R-NEF catalog.

Thank's
rms270hr
You know handi rifles are like lays potato chip's with the chip's you can't eat just one same with the handi rifle's you can't buy just one.

rms270hr

Offline myarmor

New Survivor 308
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 08:51:43 AM »

Offline Gutshot

New Survivor 308
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 09:29:09 AM »
The box has a large number on it it is as follows.96011244-01Hope this helps But you can find it at the link Armor gave you. Print out the page and bring it in. They will order it for you.

AL

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
New Survivor 308
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 09:54:44 AM »
Bluebayou is currently working on getting a current list of all Walmart UPC and order numbers for NEF/H&R firearms for inclusion in the FAQ.

Tim

Offline Gutshot

New Survivor 308
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 04:24:44 PM »
Thats alot of homework. Thats one dedicated man.

Thanks for the resilient work you all do.

AL

Offline rms4570hr

• Avid Poster
New Suvuvor 308
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 02:01:50 AM »
Quote from: myarmor
This might help:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3138428

Thank's myarmor the wal-mart link was what i was looking for. mainly wal-marts item number

rms270hr
You know handi rifles are like lays potato chip's with the chip's you can't eat just one same with the handi rifle's you can't buy just one.

rms270hr

Offline rms4570hr

• Avid Poster
new Suvivor 308
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 02:04:36 AM »
Quote from: Gutshot
The box has a large number on it it is as follows.96011244-01Hope this helps But you can find it at the link Armor gave you. Print out the page and bring it in. They will order it for you.

AL

Thank's gutshot and myarmor the link is what i needed.

rms270hr

rms270hr

Offline Gutshot

New Survivor 308
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 03:20:30 AM »
I hand fitted a 20 Gauge barrel to my survivor frame this morning just to see if I could do it. It really is pretty simple after reading the stickies. All I had to do was emery off about .002 from the barrel lug notch and file/hone the latch suface of the barrell. The latch was the more tediuos part. It locks up very tight not loose anywhere. I will be shopping for used barrels from now on. This could beat out my 35 Rem as my favorate pretty soon. It is really coming together quickly with out any fuss.

AL

Offline myarmor

New Survivor 308
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 07:09:01 AM »
Quote from: Gutshot
I hand fitted a 20 Gauge barrel to my survivor frame this morning just to see if I could do it......... This could beat out my 35 Rem as my favorate pretty soon. It is really coming together quickly with out any fuss.

AL

:)  :toast: Sounds like you got the addiction now, starts out slow...but :P they just keep finding there way home. Have fun.