Author Topic: .45/70Handi and Black Powder  (Read 606 times)

Offline tanoose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
.45/70Handi and Black Powder
« on: February 04, 2006, 06:37:44 AM »
Has anyone used black powder cartridges in there handi rifle? I see  that Cabelas i now selling Goex black powder cartridges and there 45/70 load consists of a 405 Gr. RNFP bullet At $ 22.99  and i was thinking of giving them a try.I was also wondering if you had to clean the barrel like you might with a muzzloading rifle, when i shoot my .54 Renegade i have to clean the barrel every third shot due to fouling . Would it be the same for the handi rifle , Goex says they use a soft alloy bullet and its lubed with SPG lube.    Tanoose

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 06:46:08 AM »
I don't, but here's a great read by someone who does....

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/1871.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 10:15:30 AM »
Hi Quickdtoo:

Great article. Thanks for posting it!!!

McLernon

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »
tanoose make your self one of these if you are going to shoot at the rainge.
it will keep the fowling soft ,you can by them from buffalo arms but make sure the chube is not to long you wont all the moist breath to go int to the barrel.

here in west oz cant get blow tubes for black powder cartridge cuns,so i made my own 45/70 case drill out the flash hole to 23/64 one pice of 23/64 aluminium arrow shaft cut to 2-3/4".wrap the cut arrow shaft from one end of the shaft for 1-3/4" to make it a snug fit inside the 45/70 case push into the case so the untaped part sticks out through the rim of the case and push clear tube on to the rest of the shaft one blow tub as can be seen in the pic's.

bernie  :D

if its feral its in peril

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 01:33:47 AM »
I bet that 45 caliber darts take lotsa huffing and puffing to get them to shoot outta that thing.

You related to the big bad wolf?
 :)  :)  :D

Offline charlie45

its a learning thing!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 09:38:08 AM »
I spent the best part of one summer loading 45-70 foe a handi with Goex 2f and various cast bullets & primers,wads.disk. exc.
    A great learning experience. But very time consumming and the 22 inch Handi barrel imo is too short to fully use the bp.
    I returned to my plinking load that was a moderate load of imr 3031 and 405 home cast. these were quick to load, cheap and 1.5" groups @ 100 yards.
     I'am not done tring BPRC by any means, but hope to do it with a proper rifle next time. Besides I love shooting the 45-70 its a wonderful cartridge!!
    Your luck may vary from mine, give it a try if you have the time you will learn alot about powders, bullet casting and lubes exc. all of which will make you a better reloader bp or smokeless.
if its worth doing, finish it!

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
45-70
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 04:49:48 AM »
I just got into loading BP in the 45-70 this past summer ,can't waite to get back into it this spring.
I am a flinter shooter and a handloader for 40 + plus years ,but loading BP in the 45-70 is a blast.(centerfire is on the back burner for the last 6 years)
I found cleaning after every shot is not needed went as far as 3 shots before runing a wet jag down the barrel .
The H@R BC with 405 grain FP cast bullets in .458 did well for the first time out but I am going to try some .459 this spring.
I also have to say thanks to alot of forum memebers lending me a hand to get started :D