Author Topic: On Firearm for you :(  (Read 727 times)

Offline mlmathis.308

• Trade Count: (0)
On Firearm for you :(
« on: February 07, 2006, 10:24:51 AM »
A friend posted this on Georgia Outdoors and I wanted to share it with you guys .
My wife and I went to Walmart today to buy a Ruger 10/22. I go to the sporting goods department and of course no one is there to show me a gun. I look around and find someone watching someone else work and ask him for help. He opens the case and hands me the gun. I look at it and then hand it to my wife to get her opinion. She says it looks nice and hands it back. I give the gun back to the guy and ask him if he has one in the box. He spends about 10 minutes looking through a book and then says he has one. I then tell him we will take it. He asks me who is buying the gun and I tell him I am. He then tells me he can't sell it to me because I let my wife look at it and I might be buying it for her. I tell him to to sell it to her then, and of course he says he can't do that either. He tells me if I want to buy it I will have to come back another day. He said he didn't know who was buying the gun and store policy says he can't sell it to me. I asked to see the policy and he looked for it for about 15 min and couldn't find it. We asked for a manager and she said it was store policy but it wasn't written down. We left angry and with out a gun!  

On the bright side we went to a pawn shop and got a nice looking one for about 60 bucks less.

I never knew that walmart was like that  :roll:

God Bless
Mike
Take care and God Bless

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 10:43:47 AM »
I'm sure Bluebayou will have an opinion on this one as a Walmart employee. My opinion of Walmart's policy, not their employees specifically, is they are real cautious with firearms sales due to the California debacle. That is compounded by ignorance and lack of training in too many stores. The employee in the above situtation probably took question 12a on the 4473 that you aren't buying the firearm for someone else a little too literally.

Tim

http://www.atf.gov/forms/4473/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 01:01:23 PM »
That is just crazy. What if you were going to be buying it for your young daughter or son for instance? You would want them to shoulder it to make sure it fit them. They sure are not going to sell a gun to a minor, are they? Then why couldn't they just sell it to one or the other? Crazy! :roll:

What difference would it make if he came back the next day? If he was going to let her use it, either of them would still have access to it.

I know the real motive behind their policy is to keep someone from buying a gun at a moments notice and FBI check and going out and commiting a crime with it. They are truely paranoid, that is for sure.

I'm surprised they don't make you pay for a background check before they will open the gun cabinet and let you look at or touch a gun. I probably shouldn't have said that, might give them an idea. :?

If I buy a gun, there is no law that I know of that says I can't let my wife or kids use it. If the guy didn't like the gun, he could turn around and sell it face to face with someone the next day if he wanted to with no background check. He was not buying the gun for someone else originally and I don't know of any law that says you have to keep a gun for any length of time if you no longer want it.

I sure miss the good 'ol days, don't you?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Plinkomatic

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »
Yet another reason not to buy from WalMart.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 02:01:36 PM »
Thats why I buy at the local guy..    

...yeah, I pay a little more then what I would at Wally World.  But LB Toney's Gun Shop owner isn't a billionaire like all the Walton family members are.   And he's one of my cable tv customers, so I get some of the money back in a way.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Plinkomatic

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 02:08:08 PM »
Way to live up to your name, Knight.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 03:29:16 PM »
I believe under BATFE it is what they call a straw purchase.(you buying a gun for another party) It may be a PITA but he, as an employee, was probably doing what he was taught to do. This is the way so many felons buy their guns. They find someone with no felony record and have them purchase the gun for them. It would have made me mad too but that is probably the policy he was refering to.
Do you know if you go into a Walmart store and buy some 22 rifle shells and tell them it is for a pistol they won't sell them to you if you are under 21. I have heard of this happening too. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline SID SMITH

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 03:44:15 PM »
Maybe they didn't want to sell him a gun cause they were to lazy to walk him to the door with it. :)
Jeff223 in Disguise aka .308 also

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 06:10:48 PM »
I remember when I was 19 or 20,K-mart wouldn't sell me 44 mag ammo because it was a pistol round....even though I was buying it for my ruger 44 mag CARBINE   :roll:
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline muzzle_blast

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 12:17:30 AM »
About 6 months ago, when I went into Wally World to look at a 22 for my granddaughter, the only thing of interest in the case was a Savage Mark II with scope for $100 but it was full sized. It felt good and I always did like bolt action 22s, so I bought it. At the same time, I ordered the same rifle in a youth model for my granddaughter. No questions were asked but according to their policy, that should have raised a flag.:)

Offline flyfisher

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 03:36:42 AM »
I assume that your friend and his wife both fit the criteria of being legal citizens capable of purchasing firearms.  Since the two of them are legal to buy firearms, I don't see the rationale behind one or the other buying the gun.  I know that there are some silly policies involved with Wally Mart and the sale of guns, but this seems more like a case of stupidity on the employee and Manager's account.  

I agree with knight...buy local and keep on supporting local gun dealers and businesses.  My local guy is a heck of a lot nicer than some random guy off of the street, more knowledgeable, and believe it or not often times cheaper than the "big" stores.  I would sooner wait a few days for him to order a gun for me and support him than walk in and put up with such a hassle.
How'd you like a peek at my 14-incher? (Contender, that is)

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 04:50:20 AM »
All of the firearms I've purchased in the past three years have been at Sportsman's Warehouse, and I seem to recall that the paperwork asked me whether I was buying them for myself or someone else. I would think that would cover Wal-Mart's paranoia, but I guess no-one ever said common sense was a requirement to work there.
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline mlmathis.308

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 05:31:02 AM »
Yep they are legal citizens. Born and raised.  :D
Take care and God Bless

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 06:24:33 AM »
We have a few Walley Worlds here..and I have always found if you deal with the SP manager..you'll usually have better luck..(..usually..not always..)...most of the others working or filling in for someone in the department don't have a-lot of information..and what they do have is wrong quite often..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 09:21:41 AM »
It could be worse, you could have registration of all long guns and handguns as we do in Canada. Even to buy ammo you need to have a Possession and Acquisition License(a $200.00 item). And at Walmart they fill in a great form that you have to sign and date.

Of course everyone knows that crooks are basically honest people and they don't bring illegal guns across the fully patrolled border into Canada and if they did they would right away go and register them. Also allot of Canadians consider that registered guns are inherently safer than unregistered guns!!

We are so lucky in Canada!! And the gun registry for long guns only cost two billion dollars. That's write two billion!!

McLernon