Author Topic: Cannon Lock  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Cannon Lock
« on: March 01, 2006, 05:47:10 PM »
How is everyone?

A customer of mine, wanted me to build him a lock to go with a mortar I'm building. It was to have a replaceable musket cap. Here is what I came up with. Here is a photo of the prototype.

It works very smooth and you don't have to pull the lanyard very hard to set off a cap. The "string" is a small steel cable to prevent wear around the mechanism. The final version will be blued and polished. The edges will also be rounded. These can have holes drilled and countersunk, so they can be fastened to a barrel that dosen't have a 7/16-NF vent hole. I am also consedering an all brass version.

I will have these avaliable for sale. If any are interested please let me know.

So what do you think? Are there any changes that you think need to be made? Or is it OK the way it is? I'll post pictures of the final product soon.

Later, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
Cannon Lock
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 06:05:07 PM »
Wes,  My first thought is, will the flash coming out of the vent hole force the arm back up and pull the lanyard from your hand.  This is a thought, do some testing and let us know. Other than that it looks good, should work.
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Cannon Lock
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 06:14:23 PM »
I've set off several small charges and the hammer dosen't even bounce. I think It workes pretty good. I was supprised that the cops didn't show up, though. I "tested" it several times :-D
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Cannon Lock
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »
Glad had already left when you tested that rig.  Pulling that trailer I wouldn't been able to get away.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Cannon Lock
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 01:11:35 AM »
My .50 cal. hammer has a shroud to keep (or direct) the fragments (if any) of the spent cap from flying in one's face.  A consideration.  It may be that there is no danger due to the distance one is from the mortar.

I like the curves of the hammer.  How about a spherical one?  For me, I could see one shaped like a mini sledge-hammer.  :)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Cannon Lock
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 01:23:52 AM »
Could you please post a picture of the shroud.

Thanks, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
Cannon Lock
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 04:51:05 AM »
Quote from: Cat Whisperer
 For me, I could see one shaped like a mini sledge-hammer.  :)

Like this?  :-D

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
Cannon Lock
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 12:14:06 PM »
Crazy question, is there some reason the hammer/striker is not spring powered.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Cannon Lock
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »
Quote from: Powder keg
Could you please post a picture of the shroud.

Thanks, Wes

TC Renegade .50 Cal. complete with rust and crud.  Note the groove in the front of the hammer to remove fragments of caps that might become wedged inside the cup.  The cup or shroud effectively shields fragments from flying towards one's face.

Squire Robin -

Thanks for the pix!  That's close, I was thinking of something more of the profile of a 3 lb or 8 lb hammer head - larger in diameter shorter in length.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Cannon Lock
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 11:13:30 AM »
Quote from: jeeper1

There were cannon locks that were spring load being little more than locks from standard firearms.  These are just a simpler version.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Cannon Lock
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 11:44:46 AM »

My first response would be "The more Plumbing they put in.,The easier it is to stop up the drain"

My meaning is I think it would be more repairable in the field and more reliable as well ..,left simple ?

Also I know we are talking about a percussion method of ignition .,
However I am posting these anyway for your viewing enjoyment.

I believe this was introduced in the Napoleonic Wars however many didnt want to change over to them as they felt they would not be as reliable as a slow match.

After the invention of the Percussion Cap .,the militaries then felt the cap was a more reliable and safer way than a hot match (a Fire )  on a gunpowder laden wooden ship.  

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Cannon Lock
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 04:29:22 AM »
Thanks for the pictures people! I think I might try one that looks like a sledge hammer. I can counterbore the face for the shroud pretty easy. and I can taper the sides on my lathe, I think? I'll do a couple to see how the look.

Later, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
Cannon Lock
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 05:29:27 AM »
I was just thinking something like this could be make as a spring powered lock.

I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Cannon Lock
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 07:23:09 AM »
That is what I loosly based my lock off of. I don't really like the looks of it. I have been trying to come up with a better looking design. The base is OK, but that hammer looks like a club foot to me.

I don't see the need for a spring powered version. The one I built dosen't have to be pulled very hard to set the percussion cap off. It works VERY smooth. Also it is designed with a slightly longer throw and more weight towards the business end.

Well better get back out to my shop, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Artilleryman

Cannon Lock
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 08:40:25 AM »
The locks that I have observed or had experience with will fire the primer with just the weight of the hammer fall.  The advantage in competition is obvious as the gun would not be disturbed by since you would not be exerting a hard pull on the lanyard.  This would be particularly useful on small guns.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Cannon Lock
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 06:54:23 PM »
Here is the redesigned lock. I changed the shape of the head and added a recessed striking face. I'll post some more pictures after I locktite everything togather and polish it up a bit. should look pretty good.

Later, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
Cannon Lock
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 07:47:46 PM »
Looks good. Is the nipple part of the threaded rod/bolt? Or did you D&T it so you could use a  replaceable nipple?

Offline GGaskill

Cannon Lock
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 09:13:37 PM »
It might be a good idea to make the head from steel so the repeated pounding of the caps doesn't deform it.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Cannon Lock
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 12:07:10 AM »
Sweet!

Nice curves on the brass!

Since the impact is on the inside of the hammer face you shouldn't have any deformation to speak of from repeated hammerings.

The nipple on my .50 cal is stainless (a replacement) they wear/corrode much less.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Cannon Lock
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 01:18:43 AM »
The nipple is replaceable. It is threaded into the stem. I'm thinking of adding a steel button to the counterbored section so the striking face sosent get mared to bad.

Later,
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"