Author Topic: 'boots' obermeyer on barrel erosion  (Read 787 times)

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
'boots' obermeyer on barrel erosion
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:09:52 AM »
this is the magazine article that i referred to elsewhere with 'boots' telling us what he's found causes barrel erosion, and why.

www.snipersparadise.com/tsmag/june2001.htm

he briefly touches on cartridge expansion ratios and the phenomenon of pressure curves being indicators that verify his observations.   it is not overly-technical, so i think it is relevant to our studies.

i hope you enjoy it,

ss'

edit:  i am not trying to say that we can't grasp technicalities.   it is just that some recent research I did on the subject of stainless steels used in rifles did leave ME shaking my head!   i took a while looking at the chemical compositions and other factors involved in those metals before i figured out that Remington could be right about using "416"-grade stainless in their Model 700 sps barrels.   Weatherby advertises that they use "410" in the Vanguards.   I figure that they both make good rifles and wanted to know why the difference.  it was not easy getting the info', and some of it was tough to understand.    anyway: that's my story and i'm sticking to it!
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Nightrain52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
'boots' obermeyer on barrel erosion
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 04:36:21 PM »
yup
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS