Author Topic: Model 94 legacy 30-30: Good points and Bad points  (Read 1431 times)

Offline coyote trapper1929

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Model 94 legacy 30-30: Good points and Bad points
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:16:47 AM »
Hi:

Does anyone have the Winchester Model 94 Legacy 30-30 rifle that has the 24 inch barrel? What are the good and bad points of this rifle , if any.

Thanks,

Offline jh45gun

Model 94 legacy 30-30: Good points and Bad
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 05:21:03 AM »
Not sure how new this gun is if it has the safety I know a lot of folks who shoot the older lever guns do not like them. If it would be your first lever gun and you get used to the safety setup right off the bat it should not be a problem. Folks say the newer rifles are built better than the ones made in the 70's and 80's. I have a post made in 64 and I like it. Even the ones made in the 70's seem to be holding up and the design of the gun is a good one no matter when it was made.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 06:42:40 AM »
Would the Model 94 Legacy be ok to use if you shoot left handed?

Thanks,

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 06:44:31 AM »
What is the safety like on the Model 94? Is it the crossbolt style safety or a slide button safety like on a double barrel shotgun?

Thanks,

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 02:39:14 PM »
The older guns used the hammer on the half cock position as the safety. You had to know how to do it to make sure it was on half cock or it was not safe on some guns. Just releasing it from full cock to half cock sometimes would not engage the half cock sear right and the hammer would fall. The best way was to go from full cock to uncocked and then pull the hammer back to half cock until you heard it click. The newer winchester lever guns and the Marlin guns have a safety near the hammer that is a crossbar type safety. If you are used to the old lever guns some guys forget about the safety and the gun does not fire when they want it to. As I grew up with the old style that is what I prefer.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 12:08:32 PM »
If you like Winchester 94s there are no bad points. The safety is a non-issue. You will either use it or you won't. Either way will work if you handle it safely. I personally disable such safeties because I grew up with out them but, that's me, I'm getting old and think that if it wasn't broke it shouldn't have been fixed. I don't care about new magnum caliburs, I don't care about the latest stock materials (or stainless metals) and I don't care about political correctness. When I began my 20 year law enforcement career in the mid-seventies the Texas Dept. of Public Safety High Patrol was still issueing  Model 94s, the Texas Dept. of Corrections still issued Model 94s and I carried one my dad bought new in 1957 in my patrol car and on man hunts when I was asked to do a track. I still use that rifle and it still works. Marksmanship and common sense will still beat fire power and deer and bad guys will still fall in front of a 3030. You will like the longer barrel (sight radius) and maybe gain a tad more velocity. It was good before my time, in my time, and is today. :wink:
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 05:17:54 PM »
I am going to have to keep my eyes open for a pre 64 model 94.  I have been shooting a Marlin for years, and a few months ago I got a new 94AE as part of a trade.  I like the way it carries.  It seems a little lighter, and just seems to fit.  I hate the trigger, and the action is pure grit.  With the market currently strong for them I should sell the AE and start looking for an original.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin