Author Topic: 10 gauge rear sights?  (Read 416 times)

Offline kylongbeard

• Trade Count: (0)
10 gauge rear sights?
« on: February 17, 2006, 05:10:56 PM »
Hello to all.  I'm new here, but have had a 10 gauge Pardner for the past 2 years.  Have taken 2 nice birds with it, but not too excited about the single bead on the front of the barrel.  Is there any way to put rear sights (similar to rifle sights) on this thing?  I replaced the choke with a Kicks Gobblin Thunder and that really improved the pattern out to 50 yds...but still likes to shoot a bit high.  Not really wanting to mount a red dot or other scope just for the sake of jumping through the woods (I also like to be a bit more primitive).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
10 gauge rear sights?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 07:23:54 AM »
Any gunsmith should be able to mount a set of rifle sights on it for you.  Marble arms and Williams both make bases that fit shotgun barrels.  They may require some work to fit the contour of the 10 ga barrel, but they will work.  Williams has fiber optic sights that would work well or more traditional sight, whatever your preference.

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
10 gauge rear sights?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:26:43 AM »
Try a search on barrel burnishing.

It is supposed to tighten and center the pattern of a shotgun. I did my 24" turkey barrel right out of the box (Not a good idea) and have fine patterns out to about 40 yards with the Gobblin' Thunder turkey choke. I feel no need for more than the front bead that is supplied with the barrel.

Correction.

I patterned the barrel with the stock full choke and then burnished the barrel. Then installed the Gobblin' Thunder choke. Then I felt it was a 40 yard turkey gun. Never tested the factory full choke after burnishing the barrel. Not the most scientific way of doing things but it worked for me.

Nixter