Author Topic: 30-06 for the Handi?  (Read 817 times)

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
30-06 for the Handi?
« on: February 21, 2006, 04:21:17 AM »
Any folks out there wrtked with a 30-06 barrel for the Handi?  Is it an accurate caliber with handloads?  I am looking for something a little bigger than my 223 for shooting and maybe a deer hunt in the future.  Ant recomandations?  Maybe the 25-06 will work better?
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 05:21:41 AM »
Both the 30-06 and the 25-06 are good choices.Both are usually very accurate and both will work great on whitetails.With the 30-06 you can take much larger game if you choose to you can get bullets up to 250 grains and larger from some of the custom makers..With the 25-06 you have one of the flatter shooting rifles made in a Handi..as Sierra says about it.." The 25-06 is a devastating long-range varmint cartridge,fully capable of making 500 yard shots in a accurate rifle.It has also earned an excellent reputation on deer and antelope,and has been used successfully on game as large as moose and elk.With it's flat shooting,hard hitting performance the 25-06 is the quintessential western big game cartridge. " Pretty high prasies from the Sierra boys..The 30-06 is a awsome cartridge too..it has so much history behind it that it has the distinction of being a Legendary cartridge which has been used all over the world on probably everything that walks..anyway..both are good choices and I wouldn't hesitate on either one..I've had 3 Handi's in the 30-06..and I'm on my 2nd 25-06 now..and am having a ball working with it..

Good Luck :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 05:38:39 AM »
There lies the delema.  Flatter shooting trajectory, or more foot pounds.  HHHMMMMM......... :?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 06:13:16 AM »
Here's a ballistic comparison of the 25-06 120gr, 30-06 and 280 Rem for kicks....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/quickdtoo/ScreenHunter_1.jpg">

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 06:29:48 AM »
Here's another compao with different bullets..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/quickdtoo/ScreenHunter_2.jpg">

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/

Offline Sourdough

30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 07:35:20 AM »
While I have no experience with the 25-06, I have a lot of experience with the Handi 30-06.  I use mine to hunt here in Alaska.  I have taken Moose, Caribou, Black Bear, cayotes, and lots of wolves with my 30-06 Handi.  I shoot a 165gr Sierria SPBT for everything from Caribou down.  For Moose and Bears I like the 180gr Nosler Partition.  I will not hesitate shooting a Caribou out to 500 yards.  Wolves on out to 600 yards.  I take 700 yard shots at wolves occasionally, and when I hit one it's mine.  Haven't had one go farther than 40 yards after being hit, but usually they are dead on the spot.  I also like the 125gr Speer TNT for plinking, and shooting groundhogs out of the garden.  Too explosive on Foxes, but great for cayotes.

I hand load all my loads for the 30-06.  I have the Handi sighted in for 300 yards.  I like to shoot 4" clay targets at 300 yards.  I have been using a Shepard V-2 6X18 scope.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 07:52:32 AM »
and has been used successfully on game as large as moose and elk

I am not even a rookie with big game hunting past the Whitetail deer.  But, I would think that the 25-06 would be on the very light side for game such as Moose and Elk.  Am I wrong with this thought?  I have entertained the idea of going on a big game hunt one day.  Can the 25-06 get the job done on this size game and if so, at what range generally speaking would a person want to limit themselves too with this caliber on big game?

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 07:55:57 AM »
Sourdough,

What kind of groups are you getting at 100yd with yuor loads?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 08:23:08 AM »
The 25-06 can handle larger game fair enough..but..using a smaller caliber bullet as with the 25-06 you would need to limit your yardage somewhat and make darn sure you can place the bullet thru in the correct spot.There are plenty of good bullets made that will ensure this..even some custom bullets you can buy that will make it better than average loads.The 280 and the 30-06 gives you much heavier bullets to choose from and if your in a place where the critters can eat you..I would want something heavier than the 25-06 to be able to break heavy bones and penatrate from all angles..but..then again..where I plan on using my Handi's I don't really have that worry either and I know how to pick my shot!!!! My 25-06 is going to be used on mule deer and smaller animals,and I'lll reserve my 338-06 Handi  for the really big stuff. Since your handloading for it..you really need to compare what velocities are attainable from the various bullet manufactures and powder companies..you can even call the bulletsmiths at the various bullet companies and speak directly to them..most have 1-800 numbers for just this thing..The 25-06 will hold it's own as a supurb deer cartridge giving less recoil than either the 30-06 or the 280..and usually the lighter recoiling rifle is easier for the shooter to shoot it more accurately and for longer periods.Right know my 25-06 is giving sub-moa groups with factory ammo and so-so with 1 paticular handload..but I have many more bullets and powders combinations to go thru.1 good thing of the 25-06 over the others is the real light weight varmint bullets..which have been doing very well out of several folks Handi's of late..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Sourdough

30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 09:22:47 AM »
I honestly cannot say what size my groups are at 100 yards, I seldom shoot at 100 yards.  I am shooting a three inch group at 300 yards.  A practice session at the range with my 30-06 is to shoot  4" clay targets on the burum at the back of the range.  It's 337 yards to the burum from the benches.

As for shooting Moose or Elk.  I don't recommend anything smaller than a 30-06 for Moose or Elk.  Yes, I've seen small women shoot grizzlies and Moose with .243s, but I don't recommend it.  Personally I look at the 30-06 with a 180gr bullet as being the minimum for Moose.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 10:09:02 AM »

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 10:12:27 AM »
This is getting a lttle off topic since Swift One only asked for deer calibers, but.....Alaska DF&G recommends a minimum of a 150gr bullet at 2500fps for moose...

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.moose

Rifle – Any rifle capable of shooting a bullet of 150 grains or more at 2500 fps or more will work on moose. The .308, .30-06, .300 magnum, .338 magnum, and .375 magnum calibers are all good choices. I personally use a .300 magnum topped with a 2X7 power variable scope and fitted with a synthetic stock. Make sure that your rifle is properly sighted in before going afield. I sight in to hit 3½ inches high at 100 yards, which means I can hold dead center on a moose's chest from the muzzle out to over 300 yards without thinking about where my bullet will hit.

And Chuck Hawks pretty much agrees with that minimum...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/moose_cartridges.htm

A 1999 survery put the 30-06 at the top of the list of the 10 most popular calibers used in Alaska...

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntingbulletin.hntbul8#cartridges

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 10:47:14 AM »
Thanks for the intell guys, this is good stuff.  I have always been told that a 30-06 will take anytihing in North America down well but I wanted to hear it from the folks that actually hunt the bigger game.  I will probably go with the 25-05 for coyote and a deer hunt in Michigan if it presents an opportunity.  If I make it out west for a bigger game hunt, I will probably opt for a 30-06.

Offline Sourdough

30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »
Quick:  Swift one asked about  Elk and Moose in his post.  He also asked what my groups were.  So I answered him.  

I've seen a lot of Moose lost to folks shooting .270s, 7mm Mags, and .308s.  Also seen a lot of Moose taken with .243s and 30-30s.  Depends on the shooter, and cercumstances.  Notice in the article the 30-06 is the most populer gun mentioned, also the smallest gun in their survey.  When I'm going out into the bush I never carry anything smaller than a 30-06.

As for the Alaska Dept F&G?  Our biologist aren't real gun savy folks, so I don't take too much they say very seriously.  Like that biologist that Friends Of Animals taped trying to kill the wolf, in a snare.  Friends Of Animals then played that tape all over the southern states in their campain to stop aerial wolf control.  This biologist took a 22mag pistol and 22 Long Rifle cartridges.  He then could not figure out what was wrong with the gun, it only shot every third or forth time.  It took something like eighteen or nineteen shots to kill the wolf.  This guy was also in charge of the  State Hunter Safety program for the Fairbanks area.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »
Quote from: Sourdough
Quick:  Swift one asked about  Elk and Moose in his post.  He also asked what my groups were.  So I answered him.  

Rog, that's true but he didn't ask about em until after you broadened the subject to include bigger critters. His original question only pertained to deer. :wink:

Quote from: Swift One
Any folks out there wrtked with a 30-06 barrel for the Handi?  Is it an accurate caliber with handloads?  I am looking for something a little bigger than my 223 for shooting and maybe a deer hunt in the future.  Ant recomandations?  Maybe the 25-06 will work better?

Swift One, one other thing that hasn't been mentioned is the .25-06 is only offered in a 26" barrel, if that makes any difference. It does to a lot of folks here. Some prefer the longer barrel, others don't care for it and prefer the 22".

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
30-06 for the Handi?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 06:25:07 AM »