Author Topic: Confidence . . .  (Read 548 times)

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Confidence . . .
« on: February 28, 2006, 05:04:19 PM »
I just got done posting about this topic in another forum and thought I'd share my thoughts on "confidence" as it relates to shooting.  In the other post people were bickering back and forth about the best scope base and rings.  Several manufacturers were discussed along with likes, dislikes, and some failures.  It was begining to spiral out of control with all of the personal attacks.

I replied by citing an example from some years ago when I chased the groundhogs (woodcucks) around the fields of Pennsylvania with a Remington Model 700 in .222 Remington.  I remember that one day I returned to the hosue after an evening of "hog hunting" and told my dad that I thought something was wrong with the gun.  I explained that it had shot fine in the past and that I hadn't dropped it or fooled with the scope adjustments at all.  But, I wasn't hitting anything.

Dad seized the opportunity to break into a "teaching moment".  He told me that my confidence in the gun was often more important than what load I was shooting, how powerful the scope was, etc., etc.  He suggested that I go to the range and verify that either something or nothing was wrong with the gun.

At the range I fired a dozen or so handloads at the target and was surprised to see that they were going where I aimed.  I returned home and advised pop that the gun was on.

My next days afield showed that confidence was everything.  It seemed like every "hog" I put the crosshairs on was toast after that.  The lesson in confidence, and the trip to the range to rebuild mine in that gun, drastically improved my success in the field.  

Relating back to the post about scope bases and rings, I said that one's confidence in their gun is what really matters.  If $150 bases and rings allows you to have extreme confidence in your weapon, then by all means buy 'em.  If, however, you are confident with your rig and its wearing $10 walmart rings then have at it.  

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Confidence . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 12:10:02 AM »
I think you are right.
Long time ago I learned this.
That said, a good, well made, reliable weapon will inspire confidence. I try to never go cheap and , alas, I cannot afford real expensive but I research and buy the best I can when choosing.
There is lots to be said about this but when it comes to trusting it, most of the time it cost a little more.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Confidence . . .
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 02:37:49 AM »
wil,

I agree.  In the past I used to outfit my rifles with $50 scopes and now my latest scope purchase was approaching ten times that.  Most of my rifles cost me over $500 each, or close to double that.  And I definately value quality.  I too spend lots of time researching upcoming purchases to death to make sure that the product that I purchase has a solid reputation.

All that being said, there are tons of folks out there every year that bag game with less expensive equipment because of their confidence in their gear and their abilities.  

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline Shorty

Confidence . . .
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 01:50:03 PM »
Confidence also has a lot to do with expectations.  I know a man who has absolutely no confidence in his ability with a handgun because he expects to shoot as well as with a rifle.  If one has a rifle with which he can place shots within a 12" circle at 100 yds, he may have no confidence on the fireing range, but he might have great confidence on the deer stand.  :wink:

Offline Shorty

Confidence . . .
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 01:51:35 PM »
Confidence also has a lot to do with expectations.  I know a man who has absolutely no confidence in his ability with a handgun because he expects to shoot as well as with a rifle.  If one has a rifle with which he can place shots within a 12" circle at 100 yds, he may have no confidence on the fireing range, but he might have great confidence on the deer stand.  :wink:

Offline rockbilly

Confidence . . .
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 04:27:19 PM »
:roll: Most of us make our purchases based on what we can afford, if  on a limited budget, you buy cheap.  If you can affford to purchase better equipment, then most likely you will lean that way.  In the past I bought several items that were "cheap" because that was all I could afford.  Today I can afford to buy most anything I want, and usually buy the best (?).  One thing I have found, scopes make a diffrence.  I have Bushnells that are OK, but the sight piccture through some of the more expensive scopes is by far better and increases my ability to hit the target.  

Back in the early 60s I bought a BSA 30-06, used, and put a 4x Bushnell on it.  I thought that was the best shooter in the world.  It was fairly accurate, and took many, many mule deer and several elk.  After a while I stasrted buying better quality guns, and better scopes.  Today I take the BSA out of the safe, pull her up and take a peek through the scope, and I think, darn, how did I ever kill anything with this gun. :shock:  :shock:

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Confidence . . .
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 03:52:36 PM »
Ranger413
I appreciate your story, it reminds me of what someone said many years ago. He said that the older he got, the smarter his Dad became & that
happened to me too.
As you said, confidence is a big factor that determines our success. I learned in my late teen's that if I had confidence in what I was using then
most of my "Buck Fever" went away until I had pulled the trigger.
Thanks for sharing!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Daks

• Contributor
Confidence . . .
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 09:25:50 PM »
I agree as well. I spend a fair amount of time at the range getting ready for deer season. It isn't that I'm not a good shot - it is just that I want to KNOW that when I draw down on a deer, it is going to go home with me.

Quick story: this year, I had a deer of at least my lifetime (30+ years of hunting in the Adirondacks) show up but of course, he did so in a spot I didn't expect him to be. As he was walking, I picked out a relatively clear alley down which I could thread a bullet to hit him about 70 yards away. Given how fast he was walking and the size of the alley, I had about 2 seconds to put the crosshairs on him or I'd never see him again. I'm not really sure of the time window - I did a "one thousand one, one thousand two" estimation. I got my deer but only because I was confident in my gun and my ability to shoot it.

I knew my gun could shoot sub MOA and that I could shoot it sub MOA. From then on, I just had to get a sight picture and that would be the end of the story. Being confident and knowing that your confidence is well-placed because of your practice is critical when hunting.