Author Topic: is there a .17 cal based on 9mm luger?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline jerkface11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
is there a .17 cal based on 9mm luger?
« on: September 16, 2005, 01:50:01 PM »
I'm looking to build a .17 rifle and i'd like one based on either 9mm or .40 cal does such a cartridge already exist?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 04:24:10 PM »
What kind of action are you going to use? Sounds like either one of the pistol caliber carbines or a Contender. If it's a Contender, the 17-30 carbine or 17 Bee works great. I imagine you could neck down a 9mm or 40, but it'd involve quite a few form dies. Just making cases should keep you entertained for quite a while.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 02:25:11 AM »
I'm planning on using a handirifle i think i'll probably go with a 17 based on 22 hornet

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 06:18:28 AM »
Good choice. 17 Ackley Hornet is a good one. Check with Fred at Bullberry,   www.bullberry.com  for one of his double ended form dies to make cases so you don't have to drop the $100+ bucks RCBS wants for a form set.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 06:54:48 AM »
I second the double end dies. One end necks it to .20 cal, flip the die over and it necks it to .17 cal. Works with any .22 cal case. You could neck the 9x19 to .17 but you'll end up with VERY little case capacity. If you are thinking of building a cartridge on a 9mm case may I suggest either the 9x23 or 9mm Magnum case. You'll get much better performance. I know 9x19 cases are really cheap and easy to find but it would really be more work than it is worth. The .17 ACK Hornet is a very nice cartridge. It has no recoil even in an 8 or 10 inch barrel (neither does the .17 Rem for that matter). Velocities will run in the in the 3500's with a 25g bullet.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 03:32:18 PM »
I have a handi chambered in 17 Remington, you don't need to make brass and it will go faster than the hornet if you want.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Dirigo

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 02:53:44 PM »
maybe you could neck down the .22 Reed Express

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 11:18:37 PM »
There is actually a guy out there that has done just that. I have not heard from him, so I do not know how it ever turned out, but it will be an interesting project.
Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline RangerRiz

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 12:13:28 PM »
I did see oneline once where they made .17-.357 sig and it gave amazing velocity out of a relativly short barrel.
God did not create all men equal, Colt did!
ROLL TIDE!
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 12:23:30 PM »
Well,

I did hear from the guy that necked the .22 Reed Express down to .17 cal. When I asked about how he overcame the problem of enough thrust his answer was "Uhh..I just raised the load, when the cases kept blowing in half, I went to 9mm Mag brass, when those kept blowing apart, I went to steel .223 cases necked down"   :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

This is also the guy that bought a .22 Reed Express barrel, blew it apart, and called to demand a refund!  :shock: Believe it or not I am now having to justify myself to the bank with a posted warranty statement/cancelation agreement. I tell you the lawyers are killing this country.
Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 04:40:57 PM »
Don't you mean those who "HIRE" the lawyers?????

Drilling Man

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 01:46:59 AM »
No, and I guess I should qualify the Lawyers I mean, and those I mean are the ambulance chasers types that completely slept through or continued to be drunk through the ethics courses. Laymen (laypeople for the P.C.) do not understand the law for the most part and are only subject to the knowledge they get on T.V. When they feel they have been wronged they go see a lawyer and ask for help. Those that are worth a darn follow common sense and good judgement and either tell the client yes you have a case or no you don't, the others don't care and will make a case out of nothing at all no matter what it takes as long as they get their share.
Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 06:00:27 PM »
And here i thought you was talking about those "wonderfull citizens" that pour coffee in there lap just to get greedy and sue!!!  OR, maybe throw an end of a finger in there chilli and try to sue!!!

They wouldn't have ended up at a laywers door step if they weren't GREEDY!

I also know the type your talking about too, but i also know that there are some very good lawyers out there that really help folks out!!

Drilling Man

Offline Encore_Shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
17 jet
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 11:00:38 PM »
I am having Fred at Bullberry to build me a 17 Jet in a 16.26 inch contender barrel. should push 20 gr. bullits around 3800 f.p.s.