Author Topic: collecting winchester 70 now?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
collecting winchester 70 now?
« on: January 19, 2006, 04:28:20 PM »
i have been wanting to add a winchester model 70 to my collection. is now a good time or should i wait and see if they will be dirt-cheap soon due to the closing?

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline JDenis

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 01:34:56 AM »
I talked to a local dealer about Winchester closing their factory, and he said the Winchesters are becoming real hard to get from the wholesalers. He finally got two set aside for himself. If it was me and I had the money I'd be working hard now to get one before price gouging starts, but thats just my opinion. Maybe everyone (me included) is over reacting over this one. I have always wanted a 70 supergrade in the 338 but just don't have the money so I'll have to hope they'll be around and under $2000 in a couple years. However it does seem there is an over abundance of the WSSM's on sale especially at Gander MTN, but maybe theres a reason for that.

Just curious but what Winchester were you considering?

Offline armory414

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 02:41:01 AM »
Okay,

If the Mdl. 70 is going away, does that mean the WSSM calibers will be going away in a few years too?

Offline JDenis

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 04:04:49 AM »
I would think that Browning would keep manufacturing the WSSM calibers, since they are making them also. However I have never seen a sales chart or memo stating how sales are going for the wsm & wssm's. I personnally like the 270 & 300 WSM and hope they are around for a while.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 03:00:15 AM »
The wsm's have taken such a liking by so many rug, sako, c-z, savage, rem, all offer the wsm calibers.  The ammo is a different compnay anyway..  I sure hope someone steps in and gets the company going again.. Can this big name rally be done????   :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
The definition of a bargain...
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 05:51:21 PM »
"Bargain"...something you don't need at a price you can't refuse.

I found a "bargain" on a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 and bought it the day before Winchester made the announcement.  I always wanted one of the lever action Model 94s, so I went out and bought one of those too...a day or two after the announcement...total price for both rifles with a cheap 3-9x40 scope was $449.

Who thinks the prices will continue to climb?  I just checked gunbroker and I see a couple of "new in box" Model 94 Ranger 30-30s going for $450 to over $500...can this be true?  Should I go out and buy every Model 94 that I can find in my local shops?

Moonlitin

Offline Moonlitin

• Avid Poster
The definition of a bargain...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 05:53:31 PM »
"Bargain"...something you don't need at a price you can't refuse.

I found a "bargain" on a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 and bought it the day before Winchester made the announcement.  I always wanted one of the lever action Model 94s, so I went out and bought one of those too...a day or two after the announcement...total price for both rifles with a cheap 3-9x40 scope was $449.

Who thinks the prices will continue to climb?  I just checked gunbroker and I see a couple of "new in box" Model 94 Ranger 30-30s going for $450 to over $500...can this be true?  Should I go out and buy every Model 94 that I can find in my local shops?

Moonlitin

Offline JDenis

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 01:49:53 AM »
Lately I have noticed notes in several dealers ads, saying "this will be your last chance to get a winchester.....". I have not seen a significant increase in price of winchesters, (on gunsamerica, gunbroker, etc), but I have noticed a definite increase in many dealers prices. In my opinion I think they will continue to raise the prices, because they think people are scared that they might not ever get another chance to own a winchester. However I think there is going to be a breaking point where people start buying from other companies like Marlin, Remmy, Sako, etc... because the Winchesters are just too expensive. Thats just my opinion.

Offline JDenis

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 01:54:49 AM »
Moonlitin
By the way that sounds like an unbelieveable deal on the two winchesters. Congrats. I might have even bought a 30-06 for that price. The only good deal I ever got was on a Marlin 336SC.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 02:26:20 AM »
Have seem plenty of really good Winchesters (all makes and calibers)
  at the local gun shows. I`m not in the market for a new Win but rather an older model, in my case a pre 64 in a model 94 .32 Spl.
    New ones are nice if you want-um plus you get the pick of the latest  models but for me the type i`m looking for already has "character" and as production of the 94 will soon be terminated  the price and availability
  will be dictated by demand. Looks to me if your a Win person(to be politically correct) nows the time to stock up. One things for sure demand will drive the price up.  IMO.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Moonlitin

• Avid Poster
Current prices vs. Pre-64 prices
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 02:44:30 AM »
I'm interested in what's going to happen to the prices of the Model 70s and Model 94s that are currently being produced, but won't be after March of this year.

I keep seeing posts about the value of the Pre-64 models going up, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but logically that does not make much sense to me.  After all, they stopped making the Pre-64 models on December 31, 1963...right?

Should I go out and buy a couple more of the soon to be extinct brand new Model 94s if I can still find them for a reasonable price?

Moonlitin

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 04:16:42 AM »
Moonlitin: Your right on point in your comments. In my case that`s the model i`m looking for. When i said." character" it was ment in terms of quality, and the like plus you`ve got a 40 yr jump on todays 94`s.  The new model Win`s hold no interest for me.  In actuality i`m a Savage 99 (pre-mil) fan/collctor. For me a Win would be just an investment.
  AS far as price goes i believe the pre 64`s will far exceed the price of the new 94`s, time will tell on that. IMO.Course, i`m talking 30-30 and .32 Spl only.  :D

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 07:17:07 AM »
Can't seem to find any 94 in my area.. Anyone have some in your area???? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 08:52:25 AM »
Quote from: msorenso
Can't seem to find any 94 in my area.. Anyone have some in your area???? :D

Plenty down here in Fla.   All the bigger gun shows have tables that are loaded.   Best part is you get to pick and choose, then haggle on price.

Offline Flyrodder

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 10:54:47 AM »
Saw about 50 of em on one table at a show up here by Spokane Washington. All 30-30's

Offline K.K.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 11:00:43 AM »
There may be a premium on the higher grade Model 70s.  I can't see the 94 getting too out of hand. I see them all the time around here.  Winchester has produced millions of these guns, so I forsee a shortage.  I am thinking of picking up a few nicer Model 70s though.

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
winchester
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 12:15:44 PM »
yes, they are going up. get what you can. will double in two years

Offline Cecil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 06:30:36 AM »
read in American hunter mag. where Winchester distributers bought all stock from Winchester right after anouncement made too close plant. Looks like some price gouging will be going on.
Cecil