Author Topic: AR-10 or M1A or? Which is best  (Read 662 times)

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
AR-10 or M1A or? Which is best
« on: February 22, 2006, 04:40:27 PM »
:-) Would like your opinions on which you think is best or what you would get if it were you.

Been looking for a good semi auto rifle in something heavier than 223 cal.  I have several of them.  I have lots of heavier cal hunting rifles and I am not looking for anything to shoot 1000yds.  Just a good 300-400 yd gun in 30 cal.  I have narrowed it down to either an M1A or a AR-10.  But I am open to other ideas.  

I would really like all your opinions on which you think would be best. AR-10, M1A or ?   :D

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 12:44:48 PM »
Geez I don't know I would say the only reason why I own a AR is because I can't afford a M1A. I'm not saying I don't like my AR, I love my AR I do feel a bond with it and have alot of confidence with it due to my time in the Marines. I don't have much of a opinion of the AR-10 only because I've never had one in my hands and I've never shot one. I will say this I do have a passion for the M1a. I will own one before I die that is for sure. I guess I'd have to go with the M1a only because I have never had a ar-10 in my hands to try. never know I might get my hands on one and passion might change never know I guess it would be what you would want it for just to play with or to play?hunt or just to have play with and customise if you wanted to play and custommise I'd say go with the AR-10. if you don't and you want something that's been battle proven to be reliable and is still used today as a match rifle I'd go with the M1A. But as of where I sit right now knowing what I know I still say M1A. I am in the same boat I have all kinds of hunting arms. I only have a few niches left to fill in my collection and thats a 223 barrel for my encore , a 1911, and the M1A.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 01:02:53 PM »
they are both nice..and I have had both.I sold the m1a,and still have the ar10.plus a bunch of ar15s.not many folks have shot my ar10..but when i go to the range I set up on the bench and whale the 200 yard chicken as fast as i can pull the trigger.i have had 4 people come over and see what i am up to while out at the range on differnt occasions,I have sold everyone of them an ar 10 after they shot it.I know two of them and they both have m1as.and like the ar better for going out blasting.the muzzel brake on the ars works real good.but if you forget the hearin protection.it be loud.as that noise is directed back to you.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 04:48:46 AM »
I have had and shot both. I still have the AR10.  I had a .308 Panther by DPMS and sold it in a weak moment.  6 months later picked up an armalite AR10 with the 20 SS match barrel and this one has the FH on it.   Its a keeper and will regularly turn out 1 MOA groups (or slightly less) if I do my job.

I have had 2 M1A's.  I like the rifles they would not shoot the groups the AR10 will.. Of course they were the normal run of the mill Springfield M1a's and were not bedded or accurazied in any way.

Best thing to do is to see if you can get your hands on both, shoot them and then decide.  If you check at your local range you can usually ask around and find someone more than happy to let you shoot theirs for comparison purposes...

Good luck..
DonT :D

Offline S.S.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 04:59:51 AM »
Not fond of ARs, M1A is a nice weapon, AN HK 91 is a better weapon!
I know it is not one of the choices but it is far superior firearm.
I am talking a true HK, not one of the piece togethers that are all over the market now. An FN FAL would be my second choice.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".