Author Topic: New to Group  (Read 264 times)

Offline Dean van Praotl

• Trade Count: (0)
New to Group
« on: March 02, 2006, 06:29:20 AM »
I've been lurking for a while, and just want to voice my appreciation for this fine forum.  I'm starting to work up handloads for my 223 Ultra and I was dismayed when I measured the throat in it.  However, a search for "freebore" threads convinced me that I shouldn't panic.  

This 223 is my first Handi rifle although I've also had one of their shotguns for a while.  (I have to admit, the Pardner makes me appreciate the recoil from my Ithaca pumpgun.)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
New to Group
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 07:00:28 AM »
W7APD

Welcome to the forum , and by all means don;t let the long throat scare you , my .223 bull barrel shoots very well .

Read the FAQs if you haven't yet , they are a wealth of info on these great little rifles . The Win. White Box ammo is the gold standard for the handi so by all means pick up some and you will be pleasently suprised how good it shoots .

If you reload it can get even better , but that is hard to do . The 1 in 12 twist barrels don't seam to like the heavy bullets so start with the 45 to 55 grain stuff and if you got lucky and got one of the 1 in 9 twist  , it will even eat the 65 and 70 grain well .  :D
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline tstevens41

• Trade Count: (0)
New to Group
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 07:19:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  I am not a veteran in this area, but i have had my .223 handi long enough to know that I love it.  It handles the 50 SpSx grain bullets well.  I think you will become addicted like the rest of us.  Welcome again.
Nothing like knowledge.