Author Topic: Tech info for stuck barrels (warning to modem users: large images)  (Read 19993 times)

Offline DWTim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Modem users... sorry in advance.

Also: I tried to sign up at myhostedpics, but there's a perms issue with one of the PHP includes, so it failed.

Yes, friends, it's the Tactical Dan Wesson Stuck Barrel-nut And Barrel Removal Tool. I will be applying for a patent shortly. :)

It all started after I noticed some scratches in the barrel of a 375SM I'd just bought. I figured I'd just unscrew that sucker and send it back to DW for inspection, right? Wrong! Those internal bbl nuts, they seem to be either too loose or too tight. And when they're too tight...

Post-operation observation reveals that there was apparently some gummy tape residue in the threads and the shroud. That and the nut was just too darn tight. ;D My attempt at turning the nut absolutely butchered it, so I fumed, put it away and waited over a month to tackle it again.

Then I came up with the idea of turning the barrel inside the shroud. I'm posting the results so that someday, somewhere, someone else with the same problem can benefit. Or, you can have a good laugh at my expense.

Plate 1: The TDWSBABRT fully prepped and ready for action. Note the hi-tech clamping device. It may look like some scrap wood left over from my dryer vent project, but it's not! It's hi-tech stuff, I swear!

Plate 2: Here you can see my Torque-loque(tm) system, giving good grip on a 5/16" screwrod. These may look like penny parts from a hardware store, but do not be fooled!

Plate 3: Here you can see the double-nut on the forcing cone side. This is after I popped the barrel. It turns out that the nuts were just the right size to fit through the frame as I turned the barrel out.

Plate 4: Okay, seriously, though. With common tools and $1.16 worth of hardware, and a little gentle nudging on the vicegrips, I saved myself a ton of aggravation and some cash, too. Here you can see the butchered nut.

Whew, glad that's over with.

Offline mg66

• Contributor
    • Bow and Gun Hunting Illinois
Re: TDWSBABRT (warning to modem users: large images)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 10:18:34 AM »
Well done dude. Good clear pictures too.
mg66 - "every deer you legally take with a bow is a trophy"

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 11:15:30 AM »
Thanks, but I did something wrong, because the images were scaled slightly, and now they're full of 'jaggies'.

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 12:01:29 PM »
Great job tim.  I am going to sticky your post so it will reamin at the top of the forum for all to see.  May I change the title to something like "Tech info for stuck barrels"?

Thanks again,
Roll Tide

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 01:17:13 PM »
Thanks! When registration on myhostedpics.com is working, I will switch them over from Imageshack.

EDIT: Title change is fine by me.

Offline Van/TX

• Avid Poster
Re: Tech info for stuck barrels (warning to modem users: large images)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 02:46:21 PM »
That's pretty dang slick Tim.  You remind me of me.  Cheap and innovative ;D ;D...Van
USAF Ret (1966 - 1988)

Offline 22shooter

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 05:10:19 AM »
Great idea!  I am going to use it to remove a stuck barrel.

Offline BLASERMAN

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 01:11:20 PM »
You know I am glad that you posted this I just bought  my 7 th Dan wesson and the barrel is stuck . AFTER YOU PUT THIS HIGH TECH DEVISE TOGETHER AND TIGHTEN   ,YOU TURN THE THREADED  ALL THREAD WITH VICE GRIPS . HOPEFULY THE BARREL COMES OUT. IS THIS CORRECT.

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 04:03:13 PM »
Sounds about right. The idea is that the nuts touch only the muzzle and the forcing cone, i.e. only the barrel. Then after you tighten the nuts just enough to get good purchase on the barrel (but not enough to mar it), you crush those vicegrips on the screwrod and turn the barrel counter-clockwise inside the shroud.

Note that the threads on one side of the rod will get damaged by the vicegrips, so you'll have to unscrew the nuts on the forcing cone side to take the thing apart. After that, you have to deal with the barrel nut. Mine was already ruined, so I ordered another.

Good luck with your 7th (;D) DW!

Offline BLASERMAN

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 01:14:01 PM »
  Thanks I'm working a deal on my #8    .375 Super Mag

Offline ira41magfan

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 06:03:21 PM »
Man!! I buggerd my barrel nut today and after calling every gun smith in town, I figured I would have to send the revolver back to DW.

Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You!

I recon your as handy as a pocket on a shirt.
Rob

Offline David Carey

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 07:17:28 PM »
I have one 6" comp barrel that I got used the barrel nut is stuck on the end inside the comp any ideas how to get it off

Dave
NRA Life Member

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 03:59:52 PM »
Is the barrel on or off the gun?

Do you have the flat of the round comp wrench?

Is the barrel nut still intact?  Specifically, will the wrench still engage the barrel nut?

Roll Tide

Offline David Carey

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 07:30:06 PM »
Hello RollTide,

Off the gun, yes the wrench will engage the nut but looking in there the nut has been damaged some, I have two comp wrenches both round one is brand new and never been used the other is older but still in great shape. The nut looks like it might be on the barrel cross threaded but not sure.

Dave
NRA Life Member

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 08:57:36 PM »
Go to your nearest appliance parts house and buy some "Zoom" loosening agent.  It will come in a small clear plastic bottle with a long extendable plastic tube for applying the liquid in tight places.  Soak the barrel nut with this liquid and let it set for a few minutes.  This will take care of any rust or fouling that may be complicating the removal.  It will also lube the threads.

I would use blocks of wood and clamp the threaded end of the barrel in a bench vise vertically, and VERY tightly.  You may need to clamp 2 pieces of 2X4 in the vise and drill a hole slightly smaller than the OD of the barrel straight down the mid line between the 2 2X4's.  Now you will have a groove in each 2X4.  Then loosen the vise, insert the barrel in the grooves and tighten the vise.  Now carefully seat the barrel wrench into the nut as firmly as possible.  With heavy but controled downward pressure on the wrench (you might want to use a cloth wrapped over the end of the wrench to protect your palm) slowly try to turn the nut off. 

If that doesn't work for any reason, as a last resort you could drill a small hole in the bottom of the barrel shorud that will completely penetrate the shroud and go about half way into the nut. (You will probably need a drill press and press vice for this.)  Thread the hole with a tap and insert a fine thread grade 8 machine screw.  Now the shroud is locked to the barrel nut.  Place in the vise as before, but now pad the shorud and turn the shroud with an adustable wrench.  Once the barrel has been extracted, you can weld the hole in the bottom of the shroud solid then grind and file it flush with the shroud surface.

Good luck,

Roll Tide

PS If it is a blue 44 or a stainless 445 barrel, just sell it to me, and I will go through the above process and let you know how it turns out.   ;D

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 07:42:40 AM »
I have had luck removing stuck DW barrels by warming up the barrel by shooting some loads very quickly. Warming the barrel causes it to elongate. The barrel nut then comes right off. You could probably do much the same thing by pouring boiling water through the barrel using a funnel on the breach end to warm it up.
Tom

Offline Dan Wesson

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 03:25:17 PM »
RollTide wouldn't doing as you stated here Below Break The Indexing Pin That lines the barrel shroud up to the frame ?? I'm Not Sure if the Porkchop barrel has the indexing pin as my 15-2 has??

I Wasn't Thinking Before I Posted, I WAS WRONG!!
Useing the threadall as you have shown would turn only the barrel & not the shroud..
I have picked up a Nice aftermarket DW 22/32/357 barrel tool off of eBay for $25 & it's absolutely great..

That's Right I'm Back.. Bought a 15-2 Snub Yesterday For $225
My New Car Gun..
It's Great To Be Back..
Thanks For all The Great Tips In This Thread Too..
Gary/DW BerettaPistols@Yahoo.Com

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 05:42:46 AM »
This info is posted at the danwessonforum. Just saw it in the how to.
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 03:33:16 PM »
I wish I would have seen this earlier because tonight I had to fix my DW 375sm. I used a small punch and kept going around and around I thought it was just the nut turning but then I noticed it was the barrel coming off.Once it came off then I could get a good bite on the nut with visegrips while having the barrel in a padded vise. My procedure took probably 45min. the procedure shown looks like it took about 15minutes.