Author Topic: False Pin Length?  (Read 322 times)

Offline one$$shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
False Pin Length?
« on: March 03, 2006, 06:47:13 AM »
I'm using a piece of 3/16" brass rod I got at the local hardware store.  I put it in the drill and took it down to .181 per faq sticky with sandpaper.  When I cut it off I went a tad short (.490) instead of .530 per faq sticky.  Any issue here?  Should I make another?  It took me less than ten minutes using brass instead of steel.

Chuck

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
False Pin Length?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 07:10:48 AM »
If this is for the slave pin used in the trigger hone job, being a little short won't hurt anything, it just makes it more critical that it be centered within the trigger housing so reassembly goes smooth. Some people have even used a wood dowel, so the material isn't critical, either.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
False Pin Length?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 07:32:22 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
If this is for the slave pin used in the trigger hone job, being a little short won't hurt anything, it just makes it more critical that it be centered within the trigger housing so reassembly goes smooth. Some people have even used a wood dowel, so the material isn't critical, either.

Tim

Thanks Tim.  It is for the slave pin.  I went ahead and made another out of brass and did it again!  This time only by a couple of thousandths (.528).  Now I have an extra.  It's a cinch to make them out of brass but they probably won't last as long as a steel one.  I'm going to use this on an old NEF Pardner 12 gauge.  Mostly for the experience.  I'm not out much if I fail and I love to learn.  Sometimes I learn not to do it again.   :grin:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
False Pin Length?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 08:08:00 AM »
That length will work fine, mine is only .518" and I've done 14 trigger jobs plus a bunch of R&R for hammer and latch work!! Yours will not wear out but the spare will come in handy when you loose the original, mine has been MIA a few times!!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
False Pin Length?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 09:18:32 AM »
Thanks again Tim.  I think it might be a hint too me about material up front.
As you've said before "It is much easier to take material off than it is to put it back"!  I need to take it easy.

I don't understand...I keep cutting the darn rope and it's still too short!

:-D