Author Topic: Big Knife? Little Knife? What's your pick?  (Read 3496 times)

Offline TreyAzagthoth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Big Knife? Little Knife? What's your pick?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2006, 07:15:15 AM »
i carry a rambo knife just cause i can :D but when gutting etc i'd use my buck fixed blade i think its a 5 inch blade cant remember.
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?"
Well, to tell the truth I shoot a Springfield XD so it doesnt really matter.

Offline TNrifleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2006, 03:37:27 AM »
I actually carry at least three knives while deer hunting. I always have a Victorinox pocket knife that is my daily carry knife. I also carry a Benchmade Outbounder 3.5" D2 fixed bade in my day pack. Lastly, I carry an old Buck Special fixed blade on my belt... just because.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 03:30:02 PM »
Well, you asked what length of knife we like and got chewed out twice about the deer. I've cut a deer's throat before too. Well, BACK TO TOPIC!  4 1/2 " Case custom made in Solingen Germany and a cold steel tomahawk I carry tied on my haversack. If the deer gets up I'll Mel Gibson him with the tomahawk. If that don't work I resort to the Winchester again. A 4" Buck Vanguard ain't half bad but, don't throw that well. That's just a joke boys no lectures please.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline popplecop

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006, 04:59:10 AM »
Generally just carry a Gerber Gator, or the newer style Freeman design or something like that.  I have been given knives over the years so have a large selection to choose from.  But it's a folder on the belt and if I'm wearing a back pack will have a fixed blade too.  I've been hunting deer for almost 60 years and remember as a kid growing up in deer country a saying the old timers had:  The bigger the knife they carry the bigger the city they're from.  Now I don't agree with that entirely, but in my career as a Game Warden I did see some huge blades.  An average Wisconsin whitetail will dress out at 125.  That includes bucks and does averaged out, how big of a knife does one need?  But what ever suits your fancy or need carry it with pride, sharpen it, keep the blade clean, and be carefull of how you use it.
Life Member: VFW, NRA & Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc.