Author Topic: WHAT DOES NEF/H&R NEED TO KEEP IT'S CUSTOMERS  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
WHAT DOES NEF/H&R NEED TO KEEP IT'S CUS
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2006, 06:50:20 PM »
Well I liked my .243 and .223 handi rifles when I got them and I still do  :grin: Honestly I feel I did get more rifle than I paid for.

John

Offline Hunternz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2006, 09:52:59 PM »
I enjoy my Handis and quite honestly get a thrill in spending time getting them to shoot well. I enjoy shooting them at the range as well (accurately) as most people with more expensive rifles, I enjoy making one good shot to put food on the table. Strange to some since I manage a hunting &  fishing shop and sells a wide range of rifles from cheap to expensive and now after 8 or so bolt actions later I have my Handi and  spare barrel and will get more in time as I like shooting different calibres. The H&R allows me to that without increasing the mortgage. Yes they have their qurks and faults but no one has made the perfect rifle that suits everyone.  Long live the H&R because God willing I will have at least another 40 years of fun shooting them.
Regards Howard

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2006, 10:35:11 PM »
I’m very lucky I‘ve got what I call shooters (rifle can shoot under 1” at 100 yards), there are lots of folks that have gotten total JUNK rifles from NEF

NEF/H&R better look out because there is a new kid in town that is taking over the cheap (sorry not cheap how about LOW cost) rifle seen by storm.

It’s called ATA 100 & ATA 200 you can walk down to the local Wal Mart and pick one up with SCOPE ready to shoot for under $265.

Say what you like but if NEF/H&R don’t fix there problems I can see them being run out of business or at least feel the squeeze of major competition from Mossberg.

Like I’ve said before I like my handy but if the ATA was out early last years I wouldn’t owned my handy’s I have today. I myself would rather have a bolt than a single shot, and most folks do and for only $20-40 more than a single shot why not own a bolt.

This is just my views.

Warf
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 05:26:25 AM »
Say what you like but if NEF/H&R don’t fix there problems I can see them being run out of business or at least feel the squeeze of major competition from Mossberg.

Like I’ve said before I like my handy but if the ATA was out early last years I wouldn’t owned my handy’s I have today. I myself would rather have a bolt than a single shot, and most folks do and for only $20-40 more than a single shot why not own a bolt.

While I'm sure you feel strongly about what you've said..there is something that you may not have taken into account..The NEF rifle hasn't really changed much in many many years..except to become a better rifle offered in more calibers. Also..cost isn't the only reason people buy the Handi rifles..granted..a-lot are indeed  looking for a in-expensive way to shoot..but there are just as many who want a American made single shot rifle and have made the decision to purchase one...not a bolt gun..and while the ATR may be a good value to some and give those folks a inexpensive repeater..many like minded people here have already purchased the Stevens/Savage bolt action as well..and have given it also a good review..I've read many reviews of both..here and in print.. and have seen and handled both models and have been able to shoot a Stevens..both rifles do offer a inexpensive alternative if a person is so inclined but..for me..the feel of either rifle is totally different..and from the accuracy I witnessed from the Stevens with several different handloads and factory loads...I wouldn't rush out and trade all my Handi rifles off to own either one...even with them offering a cheap scope with both packages..If you want a bolt gun..that's fine..many folks do..if you want a good American made single shot which is inexpensive,and to be able to have additional barrels fitted to it in various calibers for the least amount of total cost..your best bet still is the Handi rifle..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2006, 06:23:23 AM »
Quality control is all thats lacking in my opinion and maybe a jazzed up synthetic stock and forend.  :lol: The product for the money is great, just too many sloppy put together guns hitting the market is hurting their reputation. And sloppy repairs.  Quality control , Quality control , Quality control !
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 06:34:30 AM »
Speaking of jazzed up stocks, it wouldn't take a lot of investment for Marlin/H&R to modify their current stock finishes to end up with this look in different colors. This is a standard black/gray Marlin laminate that's been refinished by Tuck. I'm seriously thinking on doing one in dark green...

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122376
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 01:11:29 PM »
Reading some of the quality problems posted here had caused me to waiver in my plans to send another Handi frame in for additional barrels.  I think that NEF products, when the quality is up to snuff, are outstanding values.  The rifled slug guns will shoot with any of them at any price.  The Huntsman is one of the unfussiest and easy to use ML's there are, my .17HMR (for $119) has such a good trigger and is so accurate it's unbelievable, and my centerfire Handis run from 2" to 3/4".  For the price, I can put up with some gunk and a less than high level of finish.  BUT poor fitting and premature failures due to lack of QC is never acceptable and I don't want the hassle or the aggravation.  Anyway, six weeks ago I sent a Tracker slug barrel in to the NEF repair dept. because the rear sight solder had failed and the sight fell off.  The barrel is about 15 years old - so no big deal.  Yesterday I received the barrel back - nicely packaged, new owners manual and literature included, and the sight reinstalled very nicely.  On top of it, the barrel must have been buffed or finished somewhat and reblued.  The bluing and the finish is nicer than anything I have ever seen on an NEF gun.  All I can say is I consider this to be a first rate job. No charge either.  I guess I might send that frame in for a BC barrel after all. :D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 03:09:45 PM »
All I expect from any product is that it live up to its advertising. Most of the Handi rifles I have owned have done that or came pretty close. I can't except sticking cases however. I hope the new extractor will fix that problem. I was not happy with my stainless 243. The cases stuck bad and accuracy was not good. My 280 was a very good shooter which never shot a group bigger than 1 1/2 inches with anything I tried. I had a few cases stick until I realized my brass was a bit to long.
shot placement is everything.

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2006, 03:47:12 AM »
First of all I agree withMac I have owned 3 of these little rifle and all have been tack drivers. My 25-06 Ultra would stick a round every so often, polished the chamber zero problems after that. I have looked at the cheap bolts from Savage and Mossberg and the stocks look like they came off my grand kids toys and the triggers are nothung to write home about.  Where else can a working stiff build a 5 rifle battery for $2000-2500 depending on the scope he or she puts on. We all can raise caine if you get a Ruger 1 that is less than perfect but a $ 250.00 rifle please! I have shot Mossberg shotguns for 40+ years, I had a 500 that was the worst gun I HAD EVER OWNED, I NOW SHOOT AN 835 AT EVERTHING. Americans kill me we want Caddy quality for a GEO price. In my book these little rifles ROCK  for the dollar spent the best thing I have run across in my 56 years on this planet.
That's my 2 pennies worth. Jess :D
Jess

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2006, 06:21:30 PM »
One thing NEF did do to keep its customers was to bring back the 35 Whelen.  I am pretty sure the only reason why they brought it back was due to the calls for it on here.  Hopefully, it will sell well enough for them to listen to us again next year! :D  

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline FirstFreedom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2006, 06:40:40 AM »
I jush wish they'd come out with a lightweight rifle in .243 that SHOOTS.  Wouldn't mind having same LW gun in .260 rem or 6.5x55mm as well

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2006, 08:48:58 AM »
FF, there are several Superlight .243 shooters here that get sub moa accuracy with them, it just takes the right load and lots of patience to find it!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Nightwing

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2006, 09:09:10 PM »
Quote from: FirstFreedom
I jush wish they'd come out with a lightweight rifle in .243 that SHOOTS.  Wouldn't mind having same LW gun in .260 rem or 6.5x55mm as well

I have a .243 standard, NOT the bull barrel.   It will print 3/4" with EITHER 55 grain balistic tips or 60 grain hollow points loaded by Federal.  I know the twist rate is not "right" for this, but the rifle does not seem to notice that.   It shoots 95 grain core loc's just over an inch, and 70 grain balistic tips at about an inch and a half to 2 inches.
For the $125 I paid for it used, I can't even begin to complain about any of those groups!
Sasquatch Research Inititive.  Honestly think you have seen a sasquatch or bigfoot?
Report it here:
http://www.sasquatchonline.com/
Talk about it here if your serious:
http://bigfootdiscussions.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/