Author Topic: Turkey Season Opening  (Read 469 times)

Offline kylongbeard

• Trade Count: (0)
Turkey Season Opening
« on: March 28, 2006, 08:57:59 AM »
Well, the countdown has started for me here in KY.  April 15th is fast approaching (not tax day, TURKEY DAY)!  I want to hear from some of you turkey hunters and hear your method for success this year.  Guns, Amo, choke tubes, pictures, lies, whatever.

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Turkey Season Opening
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:52:41 PM »
April 17th is the opener here.  I will be using a 12 ga frontstuffer this year, hopefully.  I haven't got it to pattern quite to my liking yet.  If that doesn't work it will be a Winchester SX2.  I was going to buy an H&R 10 ga but I bought two other guns instead. :grin:   I just bought a turkey vest after holding out for years, mainly just to keep all my stuff in one spot.  I have several different calls but mainly use diaphram calls, Primos Diamond Yelper is my favorite.  That call is the last thing 6 turkeys in the last 3 years have ever heard.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Turkey Season Opening
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 07:07:46 PM »
kylongbeard,

My season starts May 1st, 2 weeks after our opener April 17th, but I get to hunt until May 31st. We have several seasons, zones, hunt codes, private and public.

Critter,

What kind of front stuffer are you using? I have a White White Thunder (Tominator) and a Knight TK-2000. I use the White because it is lighter and balanced better. I use 90 grains 777 FFG, BP Turkey Ranger Shotcup, 1-7/8 oz hardened #5 shot topped off with two of my home-made styrofoam over shot wads. Knocks 'em dead! :grin:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
Turkey Season Opening
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 08:26:48 PM »
:D i got the fever i went out got a seat big fanny puoch you know the tipe with shoulder straps head net one of them stupid looking rollup hats some high top camo rubbers put it all on and my better half started LOL at me i said the turkey wont be when the last thing he heres is the sound of my trusty pardner 20 ga go off but i did look stipid all camoed out in the living room :grin:

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Turkey Season Opening
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 03:23:11 PM »
Busta,
It's a put together.  It's an Italian shotgun barrel that is half octagon and half round.  I have it mounted in a Thompson Center Renegade stock.  I got my best patterns with 90 grs of 777, a overpowder card, a yellow Win 1 1/4 wad and another overpowder to hold the shot in.  I've tried a few other combos and have a couple more to try out this weekend.  I picked up some differnt wads to try that hold more shot.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Turkey Season Opening
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 08:16:44 PM »
Critter,

That sounds cool. What type of choke does it have?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Turkey Season Opening
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:53:29 PM »
I wish I knew.  I keep forgetting to measure it.  I know it has some because I have to turn the overpowder sideways to get it in.