Author Topic: Security Cameras In Dillingham Alaska  (Read 690 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Security Cameras In Dillingham Alaska
« on: March 06, 2006, 03:43:06 PM »
The office of Homeland Security has placed 200 security cameras in Dillingham Alaska.  What terrioist are they going to see with that?  No one but locals wants to go to Dillingham.  There is nothing there but some homes where the locals live.  One dirt road that goes a few miles to the village of Eggagic (or something like that).  Dillingham is nothing but a deadend little coastal town, with nothing there.  Are the terrioist going to blow up some fish?  It's hundreds of miles from anywhere.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 379 Peterbilt

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 03:50:48 PM »
Crazyness indeed. What is really funny is you can fly there commercialy with frontier flying with live ammo in your pockets and your rifle next to you.

Sourdough, do ya have a link for this?? Sounds like some typical grant money that gets pissed away routinely.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
I had heard this on the radio yesterday, today it is in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner.  Now I also have to correct what they said on the radio and that I input yesterday.  It's not 200 cameras, it's only 80 according to the news paper article.  But you know they really have to watch for those suicide Balugas, wearing explosive vest.  They could jump right up on the docks and blow up the citizenry.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Daveinthebush

• Trade Count: (0)
Security
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 06:16:36 PM »
I have to pass around one 9/16 wrench in the classroom when we take apart small engines and one of my text books was printed in 1981, but they can afford 80 cameras to protect Dillingham from...............

I am still thinking what from..........

still thinking...........

forget it I am going to bed. :roll:
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 07:01:23 PM »
Here is a copy of the article as per:

http://www.anchoragepress.com/archives-2006/flashlightvol15ed9.html

Every move you make...

Residents of Dillingham recently received the unsettling gift of 80 digital camera installed at various locations all over the city, according an article by Jedediah R. Smith published January 21 in the Bristol Bay Times.

The cameras - quickly labeled “big brother” by Dillingham residents - were purchased using a $215,000 grant from the Department of Homeland Security.

Dillingham Police Chief Richard Thompson told the Bristol Bay Times that there is a drowning in Dillingham nearly every summer, plus criminal mischief like car break-ins and drug- and alcohol-related activity. In the past, residents have also stolen narcotics from ambulances at the city's fire department. The cameras, about one for every 30 of Dillingham's 2,400 residents, were installed on the roof of Dillingham's city hall and on fixtures near the boat harbor and dock. Thompson hopes the eyes in the sky will prevent crime and discourage legal action against the city, according to the article. They have already aided police in gathering evidence that led to successful prosecution in three criminal activity cases.

Anchorage's own hotbed of vice, Spenard, will get a single peeper this spring. Sam O'Connor, president of the West Side Community Patrol, says the camera - purchased with money from a 2003 fundraiser after the death of 16-year-old Ann Saephan, who was shot outside the old Space Station arcade on Spenard Road - will be mounted on KTVA's tower on 32nd Avenue. Tom McGrath, Vice Chairman of the Spenard Community Council, said the camera will monitor a wide view of Spenard. Flashlight assumes that wide view limits some useful details, such as a suspected criminal's license plate number.

“We're not looking to catch your mother doing anything,” McGrath said. “We're just trying to make Spenard a better place - but not we're not trying to intrude on anyone.”

Despite the camera's selected location, just north of a wide swath of residential neighborhood, O'Connor says special pains will be taken to make sure the camera doesn't peek onto anyone's private property.

The eye in the sky, along with two smaller cameras to be placed on West 40th Avenue between Spenard Road and Arctic Boulevard, will be erected when the weather warms up, O'Connor said.

- Lori McAllister

Was the city that bought the cameras using a Homeland Security Grant.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline `RS

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 08:44:06 PM »
Pretty ridiculous in my opinion.  I saw it in the Anchorage Daily News yesterday--waste of money and resources.

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 02:13:07 AM »
Is it possible that the government has something up there we don't know about. I'm sure their not just protecting the whales and docks. There has to something up there of importance to them.

Offline powderman

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 03:41:34 AM »
Quote from: marylandeer
Is it possible that the government has something up there we don't know about. I'm sure their not just protecting the whales and docks. There has to something up there of importance to them.

I agree, got to be more to this. Maybe a suspected point of illegal entry??? POWDERMAN.  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Daveinthebush

Point of entry
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 04:28:30 AM »
Dillingham is not a possible point of entry.  If you look on  map, it is in upper Bristol Bay and there are no roads leading to any point in Alaska.  Unless Dillingham has a nuclear reactor they have been hiding all these years,  There is Nothing There. No major airlines fly into there.  You have to fly in from Anchorage.

Someone found a grant application from TSA, filled it out and got a grant for cameras.  Heck, if Nome can have a swimming pool, Dillingham can have cameras.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 06:58:30 AM »
Wow, now Bethel is going to be jealous.
What Is A Veteran?