Author Topic: Eye glasses and scopes ?  (Read 351 times)

Offline nofun1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Eye glasses and scopes ?
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:48:34 AM »
I am 48 and just started wearing reading glasses. I can see far away perfectly. but anything real close I have trouble with. It seems harder to focus on my cross hairs in my scope now, I try to adjust the focus. but still doesnt seem as clear as it should be. My reading glasses are the ones you can look over,and to small to try with a scope. Would  glasses help me see through my scope better?

Offline bluebayou

Eye glasses and scopes ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 02:30:21 PM »
I asked an optometrist one time.  The optical center/focal point/whatever of the glasses is in an average place in your glasses lens.  I have forgotten what he called it.  Anyway, when you are measured for glasses they do they thing with the little ruler and see how far apart your pupils are right?  Same thing just a different dimension.  See if the optometrist can raise the optical center up in your field of view.  This might mean a pair of "shooting only" glasses, but it might help.  The biggest thing that I notice after screwing around with Leupold, Bushnell, and Simmons and all of the flavors of multi-coatings is that you need the antiglare or antireflective coating on your glasses.  The newer version isn't so smudge sensitive either.  I had the old coating and HATED it for the smudging.  So I opted not to get the coating.  Big mistake.  Bright sunlight means reflections between the scope lens (on cheap scopes) and my glasses and between my glasses and my eye.

Offline RemingtonMagnum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
View
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 02:44:04 PM »
A pair of varalense glasses helped me to use open sight again after so many years. Love them.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag

Offline missed_shot

• Avid Poster
Eye glasses and scopes ?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 03:17:18 PM »
RemMag is correct - those lenses allowed me to use open sights again also.
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON