Author Topic: Holster and Grips for Freedom Arms 454?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Matt in AK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Holster and Grips for Freedom Arms 454?
« on: March 29, 2003, 04:42:30 PM »
:D OK guys, you talked me into buying a Freedom Arms 454.  I picked up a Field Grade model with the 4 3/4" barrel for $1000 in absolute mint condition with adjustable sights (look like Ruger style)-- like new :grin: .  Now I need to find a decent holster and some grips that complement the gun.  I just can't stand the Pachmayrs (functional but ugly as sin).  Can you offer some advice? :?

Thanks.
Isaiah 6:8

Offline J.Solo

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 07:03:19 PM »
Matt:
I also have a .454 field grade Casull with 7 1/2" barrel and I have been using an Uncle Mike's Shoulder Holster for about 10 years. It's a great holster and this year I added a 2x Leoupold scope to the gun (eyes are not what they used to be) and I'm going to buy the scoped version of the same Holster.

I'm also in the market for a set of grips to replace the Pachmyer grips. Freedom Arms sell theirs for about $170. Too steep for me. I would like to find someone that makes grips for this gun at a reasonable price.

I loaded 50 rounds tonight for the range tomorrow. Just remember to use MAG dessignated bullets if you are going to reload. I have now swithed from the 250 grain Hornady XTP - Hollow points to the Hornady 240 grain XTP/MAG Hollow Point bullets. They are supposed to hold together better at high velocities. I have not had a problem with the 250's as I have taken deer for the past 10 years with only one shot on each. It's a Devistating bullet. I switched because I don't want any problems in the future with Forcing Cone wear. I just hope the 240 grain XTP/MAGs perform as well as the 250 XTPs have in the past.
Good luck with your search for the grips...... I will be watching this post to see if any are available other than from Freedom Arms.
J.Solo

Offline BER007

Re: Holster and Grips for Freedom Arms 454?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2003, 09:38:18 PM »
Hi Matt,

The first thing I advice you is to change the grip by a FA's grip or SK custom grip. SK made very good wood grip for FA. I can imagin how is hawful to shoot a .454 Casull with the Pachmayr grip  :eek:

There are lots of good custom wood grip maker for FA but I prefer the 2 wood grips mde by FA the Rosewood and the black micarta.

Link for Sk custom grip
http://home.att.net/~s.kolar/
------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2003, 11:47:07 PM »
I had Scott Kolar fit a set of my stags to my .475 he did such a nice job that Im having him build me a set of buckey burl grips to my .500 I also have a set of his french walnut bisleys that I havent decided what to put on yet.  hes not cheap but he does top shelf work and only works with exibition grade wood. I can highly recomend him http://home.att.net/~s.kolar/
blue lives matter

Offline Ravenwolf

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 02:41:07 AM »
Matt, I too can recommend Scott Kolar (SK Custom Grips) to restock your FA.  He just got finished making me a set of custom Leopard Wood grips for my Gary Reeder round butted Bisley 5-shot 45LC and his work is impeccable.  Plus he doesn't put on that flare on the bottom of the grip panels which, for me, helps greatly with the recoil....good luck....RW
shoot straight, shoot often, shoot safe

Offline Zeus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 01:22:05 PM »
I have to agree with the others, Scott at SK made the grips that I have on my 1911 45 and they look great.  He is a great person to deal with and his work is top notch.  I'm thinking of having some made for another revolver right now.  However, the rosewoods on my 454 FA busted and they replaced them with the Black Micarta.  I prefer the Black Micarta on my FA.

Offline 1badmagnum

• http://pub64.ezboard.com/fthedeserteaglefrm1
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2003, 01:22:35 PM »
I use 45 acp bullets in my 454 and 45 long colt loads for plinking.
these are half the price of the 250 or 300 grainers,and have almost the same felt recoil.
obviously the hp's make fantastic defense/hunting rounds,but I prefer lots of range time.
using the cheaper bullets,my plinking rounds cost about 15 cents each to handload.
I would also like somr grips for my raging bull,but alas,nobody makes them.sigh. :shock:

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 05:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I ordered a holster from A.E. Nelson Leather Company and send my grip frame off to SK Custom Grips for some wood grips.

Offline Paul H

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2003, 12:05:54 PM »
Matt,

I agree that Pachmeyrs on an FA 83 are a crime.  I've shot both micarta and laminated wood gripped 454's, and liked both grips.  As far as holsters, Bianchi makes a chest holster that is really nice.  I've dunked guns carried on the hip in snow and water, so prefer to pack the guns higher.  I'm using an underarm holster on my 480, but am thinking about getting a bianchi.

If you can make it out to Rabbit Creek at lunchtime for a shooting session, stop on by.

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2003, 03:14:29 PM »
Paul -- I'll try and link up with you some time out at Rabbit Creek.  I'm hoping my FA 454 will be back in my hands in a couple weeks.