Author Topic: The great escape  (Read 842 times)

Offline crow_feather

• Trade Count: (0)
The great escape
« on: September 09, 2006, 04:07:52 AM »
Big doins here in Eastern Idaho.  160 elk have escaped from an enclosed high fence hunting compound.  The governer has issued an order to the fish and game are to shoot all escaped elk they can find.  The roads are full of hunters willing to assist fish and game in their duties.  The governer has also ordered that private land owners, or people that the land owners allow on the property, can shoot all escaped elk that they find on their land.  Except the land owners are not allowing anyone on their land and are not shooting their neighbor's elk. 

Some side issues:
1.  The elk's owner had over 160 elk on 200 acres of high fenced land.
2.  Even though the governer has ordered the fish and game to kill these animals, nothing is being shot at the present time.  (that could change later this date)
3.  The elk's owner failed to report the escape of the elk for at least one week.  (per newspaper)
4.  These elk are like cattle with no fear of humans.
5.  These elk are not pure Rocky Mountain Elk but are mixed with the Red Stag.  (better antlers)
6.  Many of these animals will escape an mingle with the wild elk.
7.  Most ethical people fear that if they do shoot one of these elk on private land, they will be arrested for killing someone's private property.

I have heard that this is the largest escape of domestic elk in Idaho and that there is a great fear of contaminating the wild herds. 

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: The great escape
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 07:21:40 AM »
 >:( Unfortunately, one of the ideas of the spread of CWD into WI is that it came from elk farms. I hope these animals were all tested (I think they test for it).

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 11:38:28 AM »
Yes, the only big problem that hunters and others see is that these elk are a hybred and will introduce red stag characteristics into the rocky mountain elk herds in the yellowstone area.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 10:43:06 AM »
My first thought was how you gonna tell if they are the pen raised elk.  If they don't run I guess you punch em through the heart/lungs?

nutty.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 07:02:38 PM »
Now they have cancelled bow season in the unit these elk escaped in.  Fish and game are going to draw 50 people with tags from that area, and let them hunt these elk.  Except they do not have to tag any tame elk they shoot.  I guess it's shoot til you get a wild one.  What a mess!  I don't think the State of Idaho ever planned on something like this happening and were caught by suprise.  At least I hope so because they have managed to upset most of the hunters in this part of Idaho.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 07:15:33 AM »
If they're like cattle, I'll grab my rope, load the horse and be right there.  I never threw a loop on an elk but it sounds like fun.  Keep us posted if they put a bounty on them.  I failed to fill my muzzle loader tag in Colo. so maybe Idaho will honor it.
jim