Author Topic: What other variation of stocks would you guys like offered?  (Read 954 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
What other variation of stocks would you guys like offered?
« on: March 06, 2006, 04:29:08 PM »
Laminates..Synthetics..or other Woods?
There are so many different colors of Lams that can be made.
Cinnamon and Rainbows are great, and I'm glad they are availible to us :agree:
NEF/H&R has made different ones in the past, but seems now stuck on just these 2 colors.
Perhaps this is a good referance site for colors and grades of wood:
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/
And I wished they offered them fitted for a Handi :cry:

So what do you all want to see?
-Aaron

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
What other variation of stocks would you gu
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 05:14:14 PM »
1.  A really marbly English walnut.  
2.  Something in Purple Heart wood(no, I'm not gay!  just a fine looking piece of wood)
3.  Not really into laminates, but that site has a couple I wouldn't mind having for a Handi.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 07:58:40 PM »
Good question Arron..

My  :money:  :money: would also be for a good quility Purple heart..I've had a few long bows with the risers in that wood..simply beautiful when done correctly..also some Curly Buinga.. Macassar Ebony..Cocobolo..Tulip Wood..is also very nice..as with Snakewood...we also can't over look all those wonderfull burl woods either...like Amboyna Burl..Buckeye Burl.. Thuya Burl..and one of my favorites..Vitica Arborea Burl..Boy-o'-Boy..could a guy go nuts for some of those( not to mention very broke as well.. :)  :)  )....now..as far as their laminates..they all look very nice...the Black Widow laminate is pretty nice..same for the purple one as well....and I like the Claro Walnut as well...Guess I better start saving again.. :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Cold One

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 12:15:26 AM »
Camo Monte Carlo stock; Mossy Oak or Digital Woodland.

I'd like one for my Handi, but all thay have is the shotgun stock in camo. :?

Offline myarmor

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 12:39:42 AM »
These guys make really nice stocks. And for a ton of inlets too. It would be so easy for them to make a few configs to fit a Handi...Perhaps we should take a Poll and send it to them? With enough demand I don't see why they they wouldn't offer them. Especially when you consider that they only make them on request. So it's not like manufacturing so many and having run off that is dead stock and not moving.
Something to think about..

These beaut's
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/laminated_woods.htm

and the Quilited Maple
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/hardwood_grades.htm

And on the Synthetic side, some Hogue Rubber Overmold would setup a perfect hunting rig 8)
http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/overmolded.html

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
stock choices
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 03:22:56 AM »
I too like the crazy colored laminate stocks, if you go to mauser central .com you will see some really crazy colored laminate stocks on custom mausers posted there.....I have a .270 Ultra Comp I found all alone in a small gunshop in Freeport Maine and I love that gray/green/brown camo laminate stock, really dresses up the single shot rifle....as a left-handed shooter, I like the handi because it is "handy" for a lefty and i like the survivor type stock and plan to order a .223 survivor at the local walmart before it is too late, but I would like to see a plain wood thumbhole stock and forearm set (with a really large foreend/forearm piece) that is high combed for scope use and with a thumbhole cut that is left and right handed friendly...that is all....

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 03:53:28 AM »
What i do not understand is why some of these stock makers don't make sets for the H&R/NEF . They can make them for the mod. 94 Win. and the TCs .

We all know that there is a market for them , if the 1 or 2 % that come here want them , then what about the other 98 or 99 % that don't , these people may want them also .

The tooling is in place so why not make a run of the diffrent woods . Gun Stocks Inc. makes some fine stocks but you have to finish them .

Look at the number of guns that H&R puts out every year , surely some of these people would want them . For that matter H&R could run some diffrent colors , they have in the past .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 04:36:30 AM »
I would also like to see a high quality synthetic stock offered as well....something on the order of a McMillan..not just pressed out of a mold...

Mac

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 04:48:52 AM »
I think the reason we don't see more offerings for the Handis is money. The bean counters of today are always watching the bottom line. If a profit can be made, they will produce the product. The Handi shooters that are active in these forums are the exception. Most Handi owners want the most bang for the buck and don't really want to add another $100 plus to the cost.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 07:40:56 AM »
I'd be happy to see them produce a walnut buttstock that comes close to fitting the receiver rather than the 1/8" extra wood all around the grip. And I bet I'm not the only one wishing this.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »
Steelbanger:
Watch for a stock off the older H&R 157 or 158 series. They had great wood and fit the action perfect.

Wally

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline myarmor

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 03:39:45 PM »
:x Yes that is one of my pet pevs..the extra honking wood around the grip! I have yet to see many H&R/NEF stocks that fit right flush to the receiver.

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 07:31:26 PM »
Myarmor:
You are 100% correct. Since the actions are all standardized in exterior dimensions, the stocks could just as easily be cut to a better fit. Would cost no more. I can see no reason for this problem to be present. As a Moderator has pointed out, if someone was to call NEF maybe they could give the reason?
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 02:13:08 AM »
Quote from: Steelbanger
I'd be happy to see them produce a walnut buttstock that comes close to fitting the receiver rather than the 1/8" extra wood all around the grip. And I bet I'm not the only one wishing this.

:wink: I'm for that improvement, and have done so myself on some of mine.

In terms of stock material, variety, including the choices already offered, synthetic, laminates, plain hardwood, plus higher grades, walnut, curly, etc. BUT fit the darn wrist to the receiver! :?

The main change I think is in order is a classic profile buttstock with straight comb high enough for good eye to scope alignment...  enough Monte Carlo's already.  :x
This would be an especially easy manufacturing change with the synthetic models.
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline myarmor

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 12:53:13 PM »
A higher comb and lower hammer would make it much easier.
Imagine that with flush fit stocks...Man is this too much out of reason to request? :?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 06:52:47 PM »
I expect to see perfectly fitted stocks when they get the custom shop up and running... :wink:

Mac

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 01:35:27 AM »
Quote from: Mac11700
I expect to see perfectly fitted stocks when they get the custom shop up and running... :wink:

Mac

Mac,
 Do you mean H&R/Marlin will open a custom shop? :roll:

Maybe with all the experience you and Quick have you guys might be planning something?   :P
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline myarmor

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 02:54:16 AM »
Quote from: Mac11700

Mac

Which means either never...or... :?  :wink:  :grin:
Spill it my friend! :devil2: