Author Topic: New to NEF - scope questions  (Read 477 times)

Offline orchemo

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
New to NEF - scope questions
« on: March 15, 2006, 08:32:35 PM »
Found a used NEF Hani with 30-06 and 243 barrels in a local gun shop today. After reading posting here, figured it would be a good addition and atleast a great back-up hunting rifle.

Was thinking about using Warne quick detach mount for a scope and changing the scope between the barrels. Sight in the scope for the 30-06 and re-set the turrets, then switch to the 243 and sight in the scope. Thus knowing that going to zero on the turrets should be sighted in for the 30-06.

This requires a scope that has repeatable clicks. Anyone else been successful trying this? Recomendation for scopes? Budget < $200, new or used fine (if used prefer Leupold for the warranty and also local service)

Thanks in advance

Eric

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 05:30:48 AM »
When I was younger,  I had a friend who would switch a scope between rifles and it seemed like a real pain. Anyway he would make it work. Have you given any thought to getting two $100.00 scopes? one for each rifle? Still would have to get mounts and rings though.

John

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 05:30:50 AM »
I've not done what you want to do, I have dedicated scopes to every barrel. But I know of many shooters that use the Warne and Leupold QRW rings, they say that POI is maintained  within ΒΌ" if they remove and reinstall their scope.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 06:23:36 AM »
I have done this on several Leupold scopes..I have mine set up with the Leupold QRW rings..and it does work..you just have to remember your original scope settings from the original barrel..and using the same ammo..Repeatability is what I've found with the Leupold scopes..I've tried it with Simmons Atec's,Nicon Buckmasters, Weaver Grand Slams,and Mueller's..the Leupolds are the best in my opinion..I even do this with the VX-1's and the friction ring they have..it works with them very well too..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...