Author Topic: AR Malfunction  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
AR Malfunction
« on: November 23, 2002, 05:20:51 AM »
Guys,
At the range the other day I wittnessed an unusual malfunction of a friend's AR. After firing abour 50 rds the weapon locked up as the bolt would not go back into battery. It stoppred about 3/4" out. We tried to disassemble the weapon but could not due to the rearward protrusion of the bolt thru the receiver. We then removed the buttstock and recoil spring tube. This was no help as we still could not seperate the upper from the lower. Then my friend noticed that the gas tube had come unpinned and seperated from the gas port under the handguard. He held the gas tube in the forward position with a pair of hemostats and was able to remove the bolt and complete disassembly. All he needs now is a roll pin to repin the gas tube and the problem is solved!! Anyone ever seen this type of problem with an AR?????????
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
AR Malfunction
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 04:22:16 AM »
i havew seen this once before in homemade parts guns! was it a factory gun or parts!

Offline Savage

AR Malfunction
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 08:22:48 AM »
Deputy,
The lower was Colt. The upper was a factory assembly. I don't know off hand who the manafacturer was, but it wasn't Colt. Do you know where he can find a roll pin for it?
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
AR Malfunction
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 02:25:48 PM »
he could try bushmaster, or dpms websites! they sell a host of parts for the ar's  good luck.  i would have a local gunsmith look it over and double check it before firing again! just for giggles!

Offline ibfestus

ar malf...
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2003, 05:42:55 AM »
Never saw that one before.  My first thought was you had the front half of a separated case stuck in the chamber.  You still should have been able to push both pins and separate the halves.  As far as the pin itself, SARCO and others sell kits that contain every pin and spring in an AR/M16 and they are very reasonably priced.
:D

Offline boneguru

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
sounds like something I've seen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 09:46:15 AM »
once on the range, I saw an M-4 with collapsable stock do what you are describing. the thead had backed out and the recoil buffer pin had been able to rise up therefore trapping the bolt. this did stop the unit from coming apart easily. had to depress the pin and would come apart and could be fixed. never did like those darn stocks. hope this helps. Raymond
"Rangers Lead the Way"
SUA SPONTE