Author Topic: fulchoke  (Read 552 times)

Offline tireman

• Trade Count: (6)
fulchoke
« on: March 24, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »
I just got a 24 inch full choke 12 ga . Is it safe to shoot slugs and buckshoy in this full choke gun?  tireman

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
fulchoke
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 03:31:32 PM »
yes
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
fulchoke
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:46:18 AM »
Hey tireman,
Lets us all know when you get a chance to put some slugs to paper?  Always wondered about accurracy outa that full choke.  Thinking of maybe a 22" Youth...don't have one of those, YET.
COOKIE
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline one$$shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
fulchoke
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 08:25:39 AM »
Shouldn't be any problem.  I've read on the web that it's not a good idea to shoot plastic sabots out of a smoothbore but you can shoot everything else out of it despite the full choke.  The Federal TruBall foster slugs would probably come out of a full choke quite nicely.  They have a ball inside the slug to thwart off deformation as the slug exits through the narrowing of the full choke.  The fins on the slug will compress to keep the slug from jamming in the end of the barrel.  They don't actually rotate the projectile in flight.

Happy Shooting!  

:grin:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
fulchoke
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 08:57:44 AM »
It probably wouldn't hurt it to shoot sabot type slugs trough it, but it would be a waste of money since they wouldn't shoot worth a darn. The only slugs that I'd shoot through it would be the cheap foster type. The only thing I'd really shy away from are the hard cast slugs like Dixie and larger size hevi-shot. Larger size shot sometimes will not pattern well out of a full choke. The best thing to do is set up a pattern board and send some lead down range.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline tireman

• Trade Count: (6)
Thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 05:24:05 PM »
Thanks for the help. I did not want to ruin a barrel by putting a slug out the full choke and find it would not fit. May be some time befor I shoot it much for pattern. Got a foot of snow Monday that is taking my free time. Tireman