Author Topic: Choates stock , Anyone else?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline zapper223

• Trade Count: (0)
Choates stock , Anyone else?
« on: March 15, 2005, 10:11:18 PM »
I put a choates sniper/ varmint stock and forearm on my bull barrel .223 and love it . I was just wondering if anyone else has and what they thought? My gun was camoed any way so I wasn't worried about the looks, but I like the way it looks and it is a bit lighter . The best thing is the adjustable length of pull ,  the flat forend is great at the range and it sets on my knee alot better when set up to call predators. The "T" rail bipod mount is handy as is the adjustment screw on the bottom of the flat stock. It even has a no fault lifetime warranty , you cant beat that with a stick. Just wondering , I haven't seen any posts about it.
                   Good-Luck,
                              zapper :D
U.S. Navy SubForce,Stonewall Jackson,SSBN 634. 1991-1997    
                                The day I quit learning will be my last day on this earth

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 11:09:18 PM »
Got a picture of your setup?  Sounds interesting.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline youngbdv

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 01:54:34 AM »
zapper 223  
Does it shoot the same , what about the recoil pad and total weight ?
Thanks

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 03:03:04 AM »
The forearm sounds like a good idea and does not look to bad. However, I think what puts people off (me for sure) is the looks of that stock. It looks cheap and ugly. It's a really butt-ugly buttstock to me. Of course some guys like redheads, some like blonds, and some like brunettes, then some like them all!!!....<><.... :-D  :-D  :-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 09:12:04 AM »
I posted my impressions and a picture in a thread in the Rimfire Dept.

To recap, I love it. It is on a Sportster chambered in 17HMR.

Might add one to the 223 Handi as well. Funds permitting.

Nixter

Here is the link to that thread. http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=52570

Offline pascalp

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 10:46:51 AM »
One other good thing is the pistol grip, it "lighten" the trigger pull.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=58266&sid=85adeb46550a64d8d1ac57eb036b30b8

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5032&PN=1

Haven't seen mine, strange, i'm so glad that i post pic as soon as i can  :D

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Choate varmint stock and forearm
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 03:14:32 PM »
I like it.  I have always liked the "futuristic/ tactical" look in long arms.
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline zapper223

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 05:06:47 PM »
MSP Ret ,
                                      I was worried about the strength just seeing it on the net. I'll tell ya" you'd be surprised , it is ROCK solid and the pistol grip is the greatest. As far as accuracy I believe it improved if anything but there was nothing wrong with accuracy in the first place. As far a weight it feels lighter to me but I never weighed it, I didn't want to know if it was actually heavier , as I had it in my mind it was lighter no reason to mess up a good thing. LOL They are very strong and IMHO a whole lot easier to hold steady when in the field or at the bench. I plan on putting one on my 25/06 and my pardner 20 ga.
                                         Good-Luck,
                                                         zapper :D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 01:10:20 AM »
zapper223, I do have an original "pistol grip" Survivor stock on my .22 Mag coyote gun and although I did not originally like the looks of it, as you said the pistol grip really does allow great control and accurate shooting in the field, especially in the sitting or concealed positons while coyote hunting....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 01:46:46 AM »
I have one on my son's fluted ultra varmint  .223.  Very comfortable to shoot.  Haven't had time to tinker with the stock too much yet, although did shorten LOP for the boy.  The rail in the forearm....what kind of mount/hardware do I need to mount a bipod?  Anyone know? Thanks, Mark
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA
http://www.njcsd.org/

Offline zapper223

Mount ?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 03:04:13 PM »
Hi, Mark,
                      didn't your forearm come with the "T" rail that you mount the bipod to? Mine did, they recommend a harris bipod , I just used my caldwell sitting bipod and attached to the sling stud on the "T" rail. I dont recommend this the way , the caldwell is made is to fit against the forearm and its not real tight when on the "T" rail, but when set up its fine. I don't have the need for my bipod most of the time when I'm coyote hunting . Most of my shots are 100yds or less and the bipod gets in my way. I'm sure if you e-mail the folks at choate they'll be more than happy to help you out. They seem like a bunch of good people.
                                                 Good-Luck,
                                                     zapper   :D

Offline pascalp

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 06:36:18 AM »
Harris bipod and T adaptor, let a little amount of roll (same problem as Zapper).
You may saw on my pic that i add 2 pieces of wood (white between foram and bipod) to tighten the mount.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 11:02:22 AM »
I just put this Choate Varmint stock and forearm on my old bull barrel H&R 22-250 with the plain laminate birch stock set.  

As zapper223 stated it comes with spacers for an adjustable length-of-pull.  There are 2 spacers, each ½ inch thick.  You can order additional spacers, ½ inch or ¼ inch.  

I really like the forearm, flat and wide and seemingly indestructible.  The total weight of the Choate stock set is more than the wood laminate that were on it.

MSP Ret, you are right, it IS ugly but NOT cheap.  Both pieces seem indestructible.  As far as the ugly part, nothing to do about that, but I tell you it is a joy to shoot.

Going to order the Harris bipod for it, this gun will be going to the Pdog shoot this year, anyone there may try it out.  This gun has the Mueller 8.5-25x mounted, seems to make the "tactical" style look if that is possible with a Handi.

Thanks to the guys here for making me take a chance on it.

Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 01:51:12 PM »
Hi GrampaMike, nice to hear from you on the board...Wow, this thread is almost a year old!!! Check your PM's for incoming....<><.... :grin:

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 03:59:03 PM »
Best way I know on improving accuracy and reducing recoil is to use the Choate Varmit setup....I have 4 or 5 handi' setup like that.Made my 308 and 45-70 really enjoyable to shoot.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 12:37:18 AM »
I have to agree, this stock is most comfortable and workable. Very solid too, and it's not a just comparison with the Survivor stock. The difference in weight, and structure is a hands down on the Varmint model. I love everything about it except 1 VERY small aspect. I wish I could fit my hand in the pistol grip just a little better. It's just a hair tight getting my whole hand in there, due to the position of the bolt that holds it on the frame. But then again, I guess I have big hands :)  For Big guys though, this stock is great, and being able to adjust the length of pull is a much need aspect for my shooting.
However, everyone should know that if you order this from Choate- and I am pretty sure from NEF as well, -the adjustable cheekpieces are not included.
Or at least mine and a few others didn't, so If I am wrong and someone ordered the same and theirs did come with ...well then I best be on the phone getting them. I believe both pieces, the high and low, are about $5-10. I'll have to call and confirm this again.

Some like pretty:

Some like tacticle:

I like a little of both :grin:
-Aaron

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 08:26:58 AM »
If anyone has a picture of these stocks with the additional cheek piece on it..could you post it please..

Thanks

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 08:58:01 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 12:34:35 PM »
great looking set up. What type of scope do you have on it? How well does it shoot for you?
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline spudsnva

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 01:59:57 PM »
Just got my .223 fluted bbl with the coate stock a week ago, and it is awesome. Fits very well and is very flexible for many different shooting positions. The one thing that I thought I would not like was the handgun style grip. I have shot many rifles with this style grip and have hated them all. This one is perfect. Great angle for a steady trigger pull, comfortable, and I am a lot more steady when setting up a shot. It looks and feels a lot more unbreakable in person than it does in pictures. I wouldn't trade it for the world. As for the bipod, I just mounted my old one from cabelas and tightened it down to the rail with channel locks. Doesn't look very sturdy, but it gets the job done. When you don't want the bipod on just loosen the rail and the whole thing slides right off, takes every bit on 5 seconds. I would reccomend it for everyone. If you don't like it, you're only out $40, and can jump on the forums here and sell it. Someone will always be wanting one and looking to save a few $'s.