Author Topic: Take a kid hunting  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Dogshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Take a kid hunting
« on: October 05, 2003, 02:43:33 PM »
I have a cousin that has gone to Sh....t via meth. There ain't much I can do for him because he refuses to get off the stuff but he has an 11 year old son. This weekend I went and talked to my cousin and asked if I could take the boy hunting. Of course the answer was "who cares" so I took him. We had a great time and got a deer and the look an this kids face all weekend was worth a million bucks to me. He kept thanking me for taking him and I told him he is welcome to go any time I go and I intend to keep taking him. A sorry home life is tough on a kid but at least our hunting trips give him something to look forward to. If you know someone that could use the same, unobtrusive intervention, do it for the kids sake.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline dawg_doc

Take a kid hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 11:03:40 AM »
You might also call your local extension agent and see if there is a 4-H shooting sports program in your area (if not start one  :grin: ).  A good percentage of the kids in our program are single parent families or from rough home lives).  The kids get to shoot lots, learn life building skills and interact with others.  I'm a big fan of the 4-H philosophy (we call it 'building kids through the shooting sports').

None the less, congrats on your efforts, you are to be commended.

Offline HuntingGirl2005

Taking a kid hunting
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 03:57:30 PM »
Tell your Cousin's son I said congratulations on the Deer! :grin:
Jasmine Alexis Kay Smith

Offline HuntingGirl2005

Take a kid hunting
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 03:25:41 PM »
Im still working on killing a deer
Jasmine Alexis Kay Smith

Offline huntmdown

• Huntmdown
Re: Take a kid hunting
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 06:16:34 AM »
Dogshooter,
What a heart warming story! Do you have any pictures? Let's keep this kids self esteem growing! I'd like to post this little story on my website! Send me a PM! :)
my sweeter insanity... www.huntmdown.com