Author Topic: 7 Habits of Highly effective individuals....  (Read 376 times)

Offline SAWgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
7 Habits of Highly effective individuals....
« on: April 11, 2006, 06:31:46 AM »
I put in individuals because I am not on the up and up with copyright laws.

Anyway, I was digging through my old Army certificates today, and have a funny story for you people.

Quick run-down on the subject line.  This is a program run by a Gentleman whose first name is Franklin, and is a huge corporation with many stores in urban malls, etc., etc.  You might even recognize some of his products which are the "motivational" pictures such as "Teamwork" which shows a picture of a rowing team and has a witty caption.  Anyway, here it goes.

While I was in the Army, I worked for a few Three letter agencies in various places in the country.  I was working for one when I made Buck Sergeant, so this was considered a leadership position in the company.  I was approached by my Air Force supervisor one day, and was told that I would attend this course that a large defense contractor was holding, and it was in Civvies.  "Yes!"...score, or so I thought.

So here we go...SGT SAWgunner..proud, Hooah, and fresh out of PLDC ready to change the world.  Hah hah hah!!  I show up to class with a buddy of mine, also Army, and a Marine Staff Sergeant, and an Air Force female.  The rest were contractor civilians.  We did all of these team building exercises, and the really cool civilian things that strengthen your workplace confidence  :wink: .  On the second day My buddy, the Marine and myself were almost seperated from class with a phone call to the Air Force Colonel which was the Site Commander.  Here are the events which led to that phone call, to the best of my memory.

"Rick (Which we will call the Marine), do you value your subordinates feelings in the workplace?"

"No, ma'am."

"And why not?"

"Ma'am, when they joined the Corp., they left a democracy and therefore have no voice."

At this point my buddy and myself were rolling.

"Well, Rick, don't you think that it makes for a hostile work environment?"

"Maybe...but armed conflict is a hostile work environment, but I can't change that."

So then, she moves to me.

"Jason, what about you...do you think that your subordinates have valuable input?"

"No ma'am, not for the most part.  We are stationed on an Air Force base in the Army...the chow is good, they are not deployed, and we don't go to the field.  So when they complain, it is warrantless."

The Marine Staff Sergeant winked at me and smiled.

"So, don't you think you should be a little more sympathetic to their needs and goals."

"Ma'am, I counsel them every month, so I know what they tell me they want to do, other than that I am at a loss."

SO this went on for about a half hour more, and were taken into the hall and counseled.  Hah hah.  The AF Colonel told us to straighten up, and we WILL finsih this course with no more mishaps.  Yes, sir!

Anyway, they never offered that to Non-Commissioned officers anymore.  It was restricted to Contractors, Government Civilians, and Military Officers in a leadership position.  HAHAHAHA!!!

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23