Author Topic: new rifle  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Pike

• Trade Count: (0)
new rifle
« on: February 22, 2006, 10:07:08 AM »
I am in the market for a starter rifle for my 12 year old daughter. Any suggestions. I would like something that will last  but not break the bank. Also any ideas on caliber. She is 5 feet tall and 85 lbs. I would like something that is enjoyable for her to shoot and still be large enough for deer.

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
new rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 11:15:34 AM »
Remington Model 7 in 243 or 7mm-08 would be my first choice. If funds are even more limited, one of the NEF Handi rifles in one of the same calibers would do nicely.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
new rifle
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:21:21 PM »
There are a host of good rifles out there from under 300.00 (Stevens) to lots higher.  But the 7m-08 would also be my pick for a caliber.  I started one boy with the 243 and the other with the 7m-08.  For deer, even though I like the 243 I think the 7m-08 is the better choice.  120 gn bullets and a light load for starters then down the road 140 gn bullets and a hotter load will last her the rest of her life.  As far as a rifle is concerned, I wanted to get each of my boys one good rifle that they would keep for the rest of their lives.  One got a Pre-T3 Tikka whitetail hunter (243) and the other a Remington LSS Mtn (7m-08).  The 243 is now in my rack (too nice to let go) and was replaced with a 30-06.  The 7m-08 is not going anywhere, that son loves it.  I did not want to have to sell and buy different rifles so the boys could "work their way up" to what they would finally keep.  So I started where I did.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Savage .250

new rifle
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 01:46:56 AM »
Good place to start is your local gun-shows.   New guns, used ones and you can usually come up with a cal and price that suites your needs.
   Plus you can handle a bunch to see how they feel as far as weight,length
   ,etc are concerned. Your "new" hunter may like the shop and look angle,
   makes her a part of the process.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Pike

new gun
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 02:43:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice,
I have been to several gun shows and took my daughter and she enjoyed herself. What ever I get for her will be a youth model just have a few more questions about caliber. Several venders at on of the shows suggested a 223. I would think that that would be to small for deer hunting or am I wrong? Al so what is the difference in recoil between a 7mm-08 and a 243?

Offline Dusty Miller

new rifle
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 08:14:09 AM »
Take a look at the 257 Roberts.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
new rifle
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 10:41:08 AM »
In my opinion the 223 is way too light for deer size game.  The 243 does have about 4-5 lbs less recoil than the 7m-08, but the top weight bullet for the 243 is about 105 grains where the light bullet for the 7m-08 is 120.  The 243 is considered, by some, as too light for a beginner . . . I dont agree.  If you use a good bullet I think it would be a great caliber as long as she takes the right shots.

I think that the 7m-08 is a better caliber for deer, but as long as you are going with a youth model, you might want the lighter recoiling caliber.  Of course if you reload you could significantly reduce the recoil of the 120 in the 7m-08.  

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Big Hext Finnigan

• Contributor
    • http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php
new rifle
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 03:08:28 PM »
Howdy,

It's hard to tell someone else what is right for them, even harder about what's right for their kid.
Here's what I did for my son.  First it was .22s, a Chipmunk and then I dunno how many more.  Then a .222 that I cut way down, just to get him ready for centerfire.  Too light for deer but fun and cheap to shoot.
He's 14 now and last year, he got big enough for a full-size rifle.

When I asked him what rifle he wanted, he went and grabbed my Rem M7 SS/Syn in .243 with a Leupold compact 3x9.  This is a dead deer making gun and one that I use a lot.. Not exactly what I meant, but it was hard to argue with his logic.  My confidence in that gun gave him confidence in that gun.  So I needed to find a replacement for that carbine in my arsenal.  When a Ruger 77 Compact showed up in .257 Roberts.. well, it fit the bill.  

Which is a long way of saying there are lots of ways to skin that cat.  Recoil sensitivity is a big issue with youngsters, so be careful.  The fact that you've got a kid who WANTS to hunt with you is big.. protect that.
Adios,
But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.  - Edmund Burke

Offline tbmaker

• Avid Poster
new rifle
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 03:29:43 PM »
I second the 257 Rob. suggestion.
Great cartridge.
How about the 260 Rem?
I've shot several 7mm-08's, great round but borderline recoil for smaller hunters. Started my wife out with one for deer and changed to a 25-06, she is much happier at the bench. She's left handed, that's why she didn't get a 257 Roberts.
The 243 is the minimum for me, I've harvested plenty of deer with this cartridge, good 100 grainers will kill deer just fine.

I started my boys, now 10 and 12, with pellet guns, 22's, then 20ga.
Now the both shoot my 257 built on a mauser action. The oldest gets to hunt this coming fall and will carry the 257. My youngest gets to go next year, so he will get the 257 and the oldest moves on to my 6.5x55 Swede.
Before they are 16 they will have their own 30-06, a 22 rifle and 12ga.

Offline beemanbeme

new rifle
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 07:26:20 AM »
I would not handicap any new shooter with a .243.  A .260 or a 7-08 would be a much better choice.  I would suggest one with a standard stock and buy an aftermarket "cadet" stock for it.  Then when the kid grows, you can replace the short stock with the regular one.

Offline Big Hext Finnigan

• Contributor
    • http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php
new rifle
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 06:26:49 AM »
Howdy,

One more idea..
Remington is producing a "low recoil" cartridge for the 270, 308 and 30-06 (I think the 300 Win Mag too, but I'm not sure I get that ;))
This round allows the purchase of a legitimate big game gun with no recoil issues.

Adios,
But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.  - Edmund Burke

Offline oso45-70

new rifle
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 09:38:14 AM »
Quote from: Wynn
Remington Model 7 in 243 or 7mm-08 would be my first choice. If funds are even more limited, one of the NEF Handi rifles in one of the same calibers would do nicely.

I think Wynn has the right idea, The Model 7 is short light and easy to handle, Either cal. would be ok. The7mmo-8 would be the most vesatile as far as what game it would take, But if the person is rather small the 243 win might be the answer, Depending on the individual. Good luck.........Joe........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
new rifle
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 09:21:17 AM »
Pike,  my 12 yr. old daughter likes my Encore with a 24" 6.5 x 55 barrel.  I reload 95 gr Hornady ballistic tips w/ 37 gr. of Varget for her.   Being a single shot, it is safe and easy for her to load and unload. The recoil is light and she shoots good groups with it.  It has a Leupold  3 x 9 tactical which I can adjust for my 120  or 140 gr. loads without having to fire a shot   She will use it if we are able to draw a Wyoming antelope tags this year. I picked the used barrel up for $175.  She has shot a couple of turkeys using a 20 ga. Rem 1100 but she doesn't like that much recoil.  I have a 7mm-08 heavy barrel for the encore, which has only slightly more recoil  but it would be heavy for her to tote around.
james

Offline xraze

Youth deer gun
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »
Pike:
I agree with Dusty and Finnegan's post regarding the 257 Roberts in a Ruger compact.  I snagged one at a local gun show a couple of years ago, and have been extremely pleased with it. Great caliber for the beginner 'cause you can shoot 75grain varmit pills off of a bench easily without too much recoil.
Same gun with 100 grainers will dispatch deer with authority. Been there and done that!  :-)  Got a couple of daughters myself; How'd you get her interested in shooting?  Mine are 9 and 14 yrs.  Am I too late? :?:

Offline Pike

new gun
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 03:02:12 AM »
xraze,
 My girl is the youngest of three with 2 older brothers[16,19]. She has always wanted to do everything that they doso I let her.She still has her girlish side and thats ok.
 Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I am going to Wally World this week to put a youth size Handi rifle in 243 on layaway. Am going to get it with the 20 guage barrel combo for trap shooting also. It is nice to know that there is this wealth of knowledge out there and people who are willing to share it. When I get the rifle out to the reange with her I will send a report. Pike

Offline slide-flipper

My daughters first deer gun...
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 08:04:49 PM »
was the 20 slug gun from H&R.  It is here: http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=3&subcat=17#34.

You can go from 2 3/4" to 3" slugs and even pick the lightest and slowest slugs which still give .44 magnum like ballistics.  My daughter starter shooting hers at 11 years and about 90 pounds.  Didn't bother her a bit.  The range isn't really and issue, I mean, how many of us shoot deer at more than 100 yds on a regular basis and how many kids should be shooting deer that far anyway?  I put a cheaper Bushnell on it, I think its a 1.5x5x32 that works pretty well.  Gun shoots into about 1 1-2" at 75 yards for me.  Liked it so much we now have two exactly alike except for slings (gotta be able to tell'em apart 'cause she doesn't want to share hers).

I know someone is going to chime in with "my 4 year old shot a 300 lb 12 pointer at 350 yards last season with a .22 lr" so go ahead and get it out of the way.  We all know that is the exception rather than the rule.

slide-flipper

[/url]

Offline Pike

new Handi
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 07:58:33 AM »
I picked up the new handi for my daughter last week and took bnoth to the range on Monday  and had a ball.I used the 100 grain Winchesters in it and was really impressde with it.I put an old Simmons scope on it and in no time was shooting one and a half inch groups at 100 yards and my girl was shooting the same at 50 yards.I do believe that it is going to be tough for us to share.I am hooked and so is she. I want to thank everyone for their input once again. Thanks