Author Topic: Anyone else not get to go this year?  (Read 692 times)

Offline DavOh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Anyone else not get to go this year?
« on: January 09, 2006, 04:28:19 PM »
I'm promising myself that from now on, I'm planning my hunts way in advance. This year for alot of reasons, I didnt get to go hunting. This is really depressing to me as Sitting in a tree, in a blind or on the side of a hill at the family ranch is my absolute favorite thing/place in the world...

Anyone else have this problem this year?  :(
-Davoh

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »
I didn't get to go this year either, but not for the same reason. Between my huntin partner's triple bypass and my elective surgery, we decided maybe this was a good year to sit out since neither one of us was healthy enough to pack the other one out if something bad happened. It's the first time in over 50yrs that I haven't gone deer huntin, cept for when the US Army had other plans for me! There's always next year! :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline John

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 08:27:27 AM »
I know how you feel. I missed last year because I was a sick puppy, pneumonia and then breathing complications, ICU, and then a month later back in the hospital again, but I'm nearly normal now, and went this year.

The pisser was that I loaded the ammo for my brother, nephew, and son-in-law, who went in my place. Loaned my redhawk to my brother, and my 06 to my son-in-law, they all killed a deer, and I never even got a taste.

Gratitude at its finest. :)
Hey, hold my beer and watch this.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 09:38:41 AM »
My story is a little different.  I did not draw my tag of choice in a good unit.  Then I made the choice of not hunting another traditional area with my "old" and "young" hunting partners because I had committed myself to work.  I wanted the income to pay for assessories for the new hunting rig.  Almost does not make sense.  Another factor was the cost of gas!

Instead I made a contribution to the F&G by purchasing a tag in a rather poor unit.  I observed very few deer but I enjoyed my time in the outdoors.  Most any day is a good day in the woods.  I got in some good hikes, crossed a few bear tracks, and then found a bear track on top of my track.  I loved it.

But I missed the time with my old friends in camp.  I know that the sunset is coming on my hunting years and I need to prolong them.  My daily hike has been about 2.5 miles, but I need to kick it back to 4.0 miles.  And I need to increase it from there.  Because I know that when my retirement job kicks in during the summer I will go backwards with the long hours.

I find the stationary bike a great help.  It helped me in recovery from two knee surgeries.  The weather outside nor the amount of remaining daylight does not control when I can take advantage of the stationary bike.  

When I was out this year and ran into other hunters I made an interesting observation.  The average age was in the high 60's.  One time I observed a young father with a little guy with a stick gun tracking behind him.  

And to Dick, I hope you had a good season in the happy hunting grounds.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 10:44:59 AM »
I can relate Siski... friends and hunting partners, especially family can really make the trip.... It is good to hear that someone took their kid with 'em.... does my heart good, and reminds me of my own upbringin...

My dad and I have always hunted together. That's always been an important part of my life. Now I find myself married and I'm starting to feel the tug to start my own hunting traditions and without relying on my dad to be there. He lives about 6 hours the wrong direction from the family ranch, and his line of work prevents anymore than 2 days off at a time, so that drive is a bugger for him....  I just hope next year he can get some decent time off to go.

On the up side, my wife has professed a desire to hunt and that really helps.

-Davoh
-Davoh

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 01:18:05 PM »
I blew out my knee on ice before the season 5 years ago. I spent opening day in the hospital... The first opening day I missed in 40 years. Did a lot of thinking... Don't need to go into the psychology, but that season off was great on reflection, and regeneration. In appreciation of the hunt, and why I hunt, I honestly believe that I am a better hunter now. I think it's great to miss things that one loves every once in a while!!!

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 05:04:01 PM »
Got my hunting license/tags in Oct. car died (small part called an engine :evil: ) 2 days later. I have a mini-van but I could not get a day or weekend when some one in the household needed it. As if the rain didn't pour, one of my teeth chipped on a bone fragment just enough to expose the nerve :shock:  :eek:  . Guess which tooth.... the one right where my cheek wield  would be shooting my rifles. Got the tooth extracted Dec. 19 (yes 6 days before Christmas) and made for a nice contribution to my dentist's holiday fund :roll:  , leaving my hunting fund mostly empty.

Next Year :-D

kjeff50cal
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 11:32:35 AM »
This year I was intending to take all 5 deer early.  In my county in Texas the limit is 5 deer, 2 bucks max.  We also have an extended season for spikes and does.  As it turned out I go 1 doe yesterday.  The weather (way too hot) and work keep interfering.  :eek:

This has got to change.  Especially given I only need to walk out the back door.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 03:15:10 PM »
Realizing Texas is a big State I suspect many Texas hunters have had their plans upset with all the wildland fire activity?
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 10:17:38 AM »
I've set out this season and made only one trip last season. On the one last season I climbed the 14' ladder to what is called The Original Stand aka Faye's Treehouse. I've hunted from that old stand since about '89 or '90 and it's still sound and solid. But on my way down I for some reason just kinda turned loose and felt myself falling from the tree in a manner that would have had me landing on my back or head 14' below. I managed to catch myself just in time and still have no clue why I turned loose unless I blacked out momentarily. I have been doing that some of late. At any rate I've decided no more trees for me.

My shortness of breath has gotten so bad I'd not be able to dress a deer or get it out of the woods if I shot one. I have a hard time walking 50 yards without having to stop for a long session of huffing and puffing to get my breath back. Dunno if my hunting days are over but it seems they are getting close and what I can do in the mean time will not be like it was.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 11:29:57 AM »
I'm jealous. All you Texans talking about hunting. Well, I went to college in TX...graduated in 1991. I started hunting while there. I hunted with new friends who owned or leased land. It was easy to find someone to hunt with, everyone hunted. We started in Oct. with squirrels and went through early Jan.  I moved back to Florida after college and have only hunted 4 times since. That's 15 years folks! So, no, I didn't make it out this year. I have been looking for a parcel of land within a 4 hour drive from where I live but prices in FL are just too high to a parcel big enough. I guess I'll have to stick to my "every 4 year" trip to the Brady Ranch or other guided hunt.

Good luck guys.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 01:30:38 PM »
I am fortunate that I haven't had to sit out an entire season since my college days.  I did have to sit out a few weeks this year with a dislocated shoulder and cracked clavicle.  I had a hunt planned in Pike County, Ill last year, and I recuperated in time to hunt.(Although I was a sore puppy).  God willing, I will continue to hunt hard every year.  It would kill me if I couldn't.  I guess that it goes to show that every minute of time afield is precious and to try to make the most of it while we can.  The memories can help you through when you can't.  I hope that everyone has a healthy season and can enjoy our sport!