Author Topic: Stainless vs. Blued  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Smokepole cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Stainless vs. Blued
« on: March 05, 2006, 03:37:18 AM »
In deciding between a blued barrel and a stainless barrel, what are the pro's and con's of each?

Offline str8shooter48

• Contributor
Stainless vs. Blued
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 03:46:53 AM »
Stainless, much higher resitance to corrosion than the blued steel. Looks, I know its preference, but I like the looks of stainless.

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Stainless vs. Blued
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 04:11:16 AM »
My take on it is.
When it comes to center fire it's all about which one looks better to you. Both will hold up fine with regular and proper maintenance in center fire guns.
Stainless is the way to go when youÂ’re dealing with muzzleloaders. Everybody knows that stainless is a lot less prone to rust and corrosion than blued steel. The powders associated with muzzle loading are very corrosive. Every advantage you can get to help make cleaning easier and make your smoke pole barrel last longer should be used.
I will never buy another blued smoke pole again, they will all be stainless.
As a matter of fact 80% of all my guns are stainless center fire or not. And no stainless dosen't scare the deer. Well it does when I pull the trigger this actually scares them to death.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Stainless vs. Blued
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 11:53:38 AM »
I have to agree with marylandeer, but I do own a lot of blued rifles also.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline toytruck

• Avid Poster
Stainless vs. Blued
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 01:12:33 PM »
You could always spend about $70 and get the blued guns tefloned they call it "black ice".
Whites & TC Renegade

Life may change us, but we start and end with family.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
Stainless vs. Blued
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 01:19:01 PM »
I find it just as easy to bring my guns home clean them up well and stick with blue.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 150_Class

Stainless vs. Blued
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 04:00:20 PM »
SS is OK. Blued is OK. I have both and to be honest with you, I think the SS is a waste of money unless you want it for the different looks. At the end of the day, they both still need to be cleaned and the SS can give you a false sense of thinking it is OK to let it wait.

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Stainless vs. Blued
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 04:29:58 PM »
I prefer blue.  With a muzzle loader either needs to be cleaned right away.  While stainless is more resistant to rust, it depends on the type of staineless a company is using.  I have seen more rust on stainless T/C barrels than I have ever seen on my blue T/C barrels.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Stainless vs. Blued
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 01:46:36 AM »
I don't have rust on any of my barrels, either blued or stainless. It is all in how you take care of them.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline toytruck

• Avid Poster
Stainless vs. Blued
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 07:36:12 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
I don't have rust on any of my barrels, either blued or stainless. It is all in how you take care of them.  :D

I will second that!.  I don't have any rust on any blued guns or the Encore stainless. Just need to take care of them right away.

I did have the White Super 91 .451 tefloned and it is really nice.  Actually better than stainless, all you need to do is wipe it down and oil the moving parts and the bore.  I can clean the White alot easier and faster than the Encore.  If you put oil or rust preventative on the teflon it just slides off!! 8)
Whites & TC Renegade

Life may change us, but we start and end with family.

Offline Doublejake

Stainless vs. Blued
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 08:28:25 PM »
For a muzzle loader, I would say stainless, rifle is about the same as long as they get the same care, but if you give a muzzle loader with stainless VS Blued the same care the stainess will outlast by far. Also the manufacturer's quality of steel makes a difference, and don't confuse yourself with nickel over stainless, I had a Buckwacker that I thought was stainless when I bought it because of the color. Rusted quicker than a old toyota pickup.
Take A walk on the wide side! Go hunting!!