Author Topic: Mortar pic  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Mortar pic
« on: April 08, 2006, 07:31:20 PM »
Just checking to see if I can post a pic here. My friend's Coehorn a few years back...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/Victor3/morter.jpg

Is that how you guys post pics here or is there a better way?

Thanks.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Mortar pic
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 08:03:11 PM »
You can post images at Graybeard which presumably will not expire as they eventually do at photobucket.  Click on GBO Photo Album in the top banner to begin the process.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Mortar pic
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 08:22:39 PM »
From Photo bucket you can use any of the three links given below the picture.

If you use just the URL after pasting in the reply window highlight the URL and click on the Img button about the reply window and your link will then look like this

Code: [Select]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/Victor3/morter.jpg[/img]

If you notice it is in the same format as the link photo bucket calls IMG.   Either way it will come out looking like this.

That's the simple way...

By the way tell us more about the mortar, got any close ups of it.

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Mortar pic
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 08:28:24 PM »
You can also upload them to a free hosting site then link them here as an image.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
Mortar pic
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 09:02:52 PM »
I see, says the compooter dummy...

Thanks gents!

More info - My friend made this mortar many years ago. The pic is a scan of a photo I took when we fired it a while back. The bore is 3 1/8". We fired it with 3" lead balls. I forget the charge weight. I may buy the thing off of him soon. The bbl alone weighs ~200#. It was made from 4340 bar IIRC. I can't lift the thing by myself. On the first shot, the wood split on both sides (It had been sitting for ~20 years and had termite damage). New wood (Red oak) has been made now.

Any idea of how much something like this would be worth (With all associated tools and ball mould)? It's quality made, and fairly historically correct. My friend used it at Civil War reinactments for many years.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

Mortar pic
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 10:44:47 PM »
The value of such an item depends on quality, construction  materials, historical accuracy, visual appearance, scale and of course market.

If you are the seller it worth more than if you are a buyer.

Do you have any close up pictures of it.

Oh an informal rule that one of regulars here has requested. If you take pictures of your cannons or mortars include a powder can  in the picture for scale.  It has became almost a board tradition.  In fact once you become a board regular you will be severly chastised by the board members if you forget....they are merciless on that!!!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
Mortar pic
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 11:35:30 PM »
No problem - I have a Goex can and a Johnson & Johnson baby powder can here.

Which is the standard :) ?

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

Mortar pic
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 12:01:38 AM »
Johnson baby powder can, hum lets see I think that ones been done here before... okay another out of work comedian looking forwork :)  :)  :)...although when it was done I think a baking powder can was also represented...If you can get it by Blaster Bob  your home free.  It's his rule!

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Mortar pic
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 03:08:56 AM »
Quote from: Double D

Oh an informal rule that one of regulars here has requested. If you take pictures of your cannons or mortars include a powder can  in the picture for scale.  It has became almost a board tradition.  In fact once you become a board regular you will be severly chastised by the board members if you forget....they are merciless on that!!!

Wow, I now notice that ole DD even has the "required" powder can for scale in his new avatar.  I have been so chastised that I now carry an empty GOEX powder can along with me where ever I go, especially on trips.  If the camera goes, then the powder can goes too... :)  :)
And Victor 3, we are anxious to see some close up shots of that mortar..
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
Mortar pic
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 06:43:39 PM »
Here is a scan of the only other pics I have of it. The others went to the owner...

Sorry, no powder can. You can see some 12ga shells on the ground though. It's about 4' long overall.

There was a brass "crossed cannons" plaque on the top/back before the bbl swung around and knocked it off (Hence the strap). You can see where the wood split right behind the trunnion mounts. The wood had some termite damage, and I remember now that the mounting bolts were loose when we checked them after the shot that caused the damage.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Mortar pic
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 01:22:02 AM »
Keep your powder dry and termites out of your mortar/cannon bases!

Thanx for the pix!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)