Author Topic: Had to tend to a dirty task today...  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Had to tend to a dirty task today...
« on: March 06, 2006, 11:50:10 AM »
and I just felt I needed to talk to someone.  Yep, today I had to 'put down' several very aged grapefruit to spare them from any further deterioration.
So I herded them all up and walked them out to the back 40 and dispatched them as humanely as I could with the help of a 4" .22 cal. revolver.  Since I had some round nosed solids and some hollow points on hand I thought it would be interesting to see if I would see any noticeable difference in the amount of damage to the fruit when using the different ammo.  At the lower velocities from a 4" revolver I really didn't expect any. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that even from a 4" barrel the hollow points were far more destructive than the round nosed solids.  The RNSs would pretty much just punch a .22 caliber hole right threw both sides of the fruit were as the HPs would split the back of the grapefruit wide open.
Well, thanks for allowing me to talk about the dirty task I had to attend to.    :D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Daks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 12:20:33 PM »
The things we do for science... :-D

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 01:07:13 PM »
Well, at least they went out with a BANG LOL :D

Offline wolfsong

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 04:52:20 PM »
Quote from: TM7
I had the same thing happen with several golfballs. They couldn't be trusted anymore and started going their own way. Eventually they became dangerous to be around and needed termination. I obliged and did the deed with my CZ, while not showing any mercy or sparing lead. But alas, some of the orny critters arise from the dead and need the same treatment again..... :-)

....................................TM7
Oh no! The dreaded zombie golfballs! To arms! To arms! Don't shoot til you see the whites of their, er, balls? Dimples? Ah, what the heck, shoot 'em, boys!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 11:09:23 PM »
I have trouble hitting a golf ball with a club much less with a bullet at 25yards.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 01:58:03 AM »
I've had to 'do the dirty' before on some old fruit and although an emotionally painful job I was resolute, and the fruits of my labors can be found scattered around my back yard..................... mikey.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 06:10:08 AM »
Yes, shooting at fruit can be a very sour experience.  :)  :roll:

Though a must admit I found Honeydew melon popping with .38 wad cutters to be kinda sweet.  :grin:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 04:05:22 PM »
don't play with your food - eat it.
don't you know there are starving children in africa that would love to have that?
yes mother.

grapefruit really do work the best. with a .308 the top half goes almost out of sight.
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »
All you fellas are making me jealous with the fruit....with all the chickens we have running around, all I have is a boat load of excess eggs to shoot.  Shooting with a .22 splats them good, but a .357, or .41 REALLY splats them.

~~~Amos :D
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 04:28:06 PM »
how true.
around here egg shoots are about as common as trap shoots.
hard with .22s at 100 yards, challenge with target rifles at 200 yards, damn near impossible with anything at 300........
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 02:16:29 AM »
I was plagued by an infestation of milk jugs and coffee cans trying to take over the laundry room.......The wife said they have to go.....I tried drowning them but they only gained weight.  They did make for some interesting off hand shooting, which was the only way to eliminate the problem!  Set at 100 yards and hit with a 200 grain corlockt out of the .35 remington one doesn't need to guess if they've been hit.  Perfect targets for minute of deer accuracy while providing good experience while shooting from the standing position.

I think they laid eggs.....and are starting to take over again!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 01:40:39 AM »
my dirty deed involved cream corn, my wife had about ten cans of cream corn in the pantry from god knows when and she wanted me to throw em away, but my father inlaw and i found a much better solution that involved a 45 acp....i wasnt very impressed though untill i shot em with the 300 win mag though...sent em 20 feet up in the air and in peices...and oh yea the corn was way creamier! :wink:

country rebel
they can try and take my guns....but i aint givin' em up until all my shells are gone or i quit breathing.

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 02:54:23 AM »
the best food related target i remember was way back in college days - about 1979.  we picked up a bag of grapefruit and put some out on a frozen pond.  don't remember what rifle we had but a grapefruit vaporized.  when we got up to walk out and see what happened little pieces of grapefruit started raining down.  next thing - SPLAT - the biggest piece hit the ground.  it had been airbourne for several seconds by that time.
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 02:24:53 AM »
Shooting 'fruits', huh? How about veggies? I've euthenized a number of pounds of aged potatoes with various calibers. :P

By the way, shooting oranges with 22LR and 22Mag offers a really good idea of the difference in energy between the two.
Generally, 22LR blew a nickel sized hole whereas 22Mag blew the aft end wide open at the same distance.  :shock:

I usually do this in an area where the 'targets' can be left where they fall so they can be recycled by the wildlife. :wink:
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!