Author Topic: Prices on guns now days!  (Read 875 times)

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Prices on guns now days!
« on: March 25, 2006, 12:36:23 PM »
:D   This will probably get me flamed but!  

Is it just me or is the prices on new and used guns just going out of sight.  Everytime I turn around it seems as if the prices are rising.  I know that the gun manufactures need to pay for those stupid  law suites and I know the cost of everything is going up.  But lately you can't touch a good 45 auto for much under a grand and some are two grand. I look in the gun magazines and see smith and wesson 45 auto's for MSRP of 1900.00 or 2000.00.  I realize that is sugested price, but still thats out of line to me. It's not just handguns either.   Try buying a new good double barrel shotgun lately most start at  2000.00. Used guns are just as bad.  I used to buy older winchester lever actions.  Have you noticed the prices for decent well used (not collector grade) 1886's, 95's ect. Thank God I got mine before now.  

I know I am probably looking at this with a narrow mind and someone out there will correct me I am sure. But it just seems to me that the prices are getting in the realm of unreasonable.  I am not rich but I make a good living I can afford a custom gun or two if need be.  But what about the folks in the lower income brackets.  How about the young person just starting out that wants to get into guns and maybe even start a small collection.  He is left with very little choices in the realm of good quality guns.  I am all for supporting the gun manufactures I would hate to see even one go out of business. But there is a limit to my support and they are reaching it very fast!  :?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 01:02:18 PM »
Hunting, shooting and gun collecting is getting to be a rich mans hobby. There are some gun makers still making inexpensive guns.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Savage

Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 01:08:06 PM »
Skeeterbaymac,
Prices on custom guns are a little on the high side for this country boy. However, the prices are market driven, so if we want custom work, we're going to have to pay for it. I don't own any custom jobs myself, the high end Kimbers are about as close as I get. There are still bargins to be had on the new and used market. The CZs/XDs are good examples of that. Police trade in pistols are available at bargan prices as well. If one can't afford those, there's always the mil surps. On an average, I think new gun prices are pretty much in line with inflation.
Good shooting,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 02:19:42 PM »
Savage:

I know what your saying about custom guns.  I just had a custom conversion made by Mr. Bowen and it was worth every penny I paid for it!  I would sleep with it if the wife would let me LOL! I got no problem paying more money for a high end custom gun. What I am talking about is factory mass produced guns.

I will take my favorite company and use them for an example.  Keep in mind I really like Ruger firearms. I just don't think that a good quality double action revolver in 44 mag or higher, should cost "MSRP 779.00-860.00" Thats getting awful close to 1000.00 for a double action revolver? I can not imagine that is in line with inflation. What about the gold label, MSRP 2050.00 thats a bit much for a factory mass produced shotgun.  Their bolt action standard mark II is MSRP of 695.00 and up.  How long would a twenty year old kid have to work at McDonalds to pay for a new ruger bolt action rifle? I am just using them for an example.

I didn't think about police trade ins and such.  You are right about them I have seen some real good deals on good high quality police trade ins. Sig, Smith revolvers and autos priced very good.  Along with some military surplus bolt guns being very good deals.   I guess my problem is that all the old used guns I like and would want are now collector items.  I think your also right about market driven, to a point.  Look at the Winchester model 94.  How many of those little guns are floating around? But the minute the company announces they are stopping production wham prices are climbing. There is still just as many in the used shops but now they want more for them.  

Well just my opinion like I say and I am wrong more than I am right most of the time. :D

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 02:40:24 PM »
Redhawk:

You are right! The t/c is still a good deal and a guy can change to a new cal pretty cheap.  If I was broke and twenty again, I think a small battery of contender or encore barrels and a frame would be the way I would go. Nothing I couldn't hunt with either one and the right barrels.  :-)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 02:43:59 PM »
The Encore is a great example of a good quality gun at an affordable price.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 03:04:06 PM »
I somewhat agree on how prices have gone crazy.  There are a few examples where $2000 is proper, then there are other case where $500 is too much.

Even 14 years ago 1911's were too much for my wallet.  So I purchased a Norinco version for $279.   Glad I did too, because how far even "cheap" ones have sky rocketed.   I've learned too that the Norinco's are made of the hi-quality steel that the high dollar units are made of and is on Clark's and another's accepted list of manufacturers for custom work-a short list at that.

I'd be lucky to scrounge up the money for a $300 pistol these days..  It'd take months to do so.  Us poor folks are backed into a corner on what we can afford.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Savage

Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 01:10:34 AM »
A decent 1911 can be had now days in the $650-$800 range. That's a far cry from the going price 20yrs ago for sure. There are still bargins out there, but you have to be patient and look for them. In pistols there's the CZs, still a lot of gun for the money, and don't forget their clones, the Witness line. Don't know about the quality but, there are a lot of good deals on the Turkish and Russian shotguns. Then there's the old standy of bargin shotguns, Mossberg. A couple of months ago Academy Sports was selling Remmington rifles in your choice of 30-06/7mm Rem. Mag./.270 w/scope for $305. I believe it was a model 7. There are still potential bargins to be had out there if you want to get off the beaten path a little! :D
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Paul S

Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 01:12:16 PM »
Hey Skeeter, I have to agree with you on prices. But I think I found a good deal on a nice gun I'll pass along. I bought a Savage .17 HMR in stainless with a bull barrel  for $239 @ Bass Pro in Springfield MO. After shooting it I think I got a steal. Man it is a tack driver. You can put 5 rounds in the size of a nickle everytime at 150 yards. And I'm not a great shot. I walked out of there feeling pretty good about what I had to spend on it. Now the scope was no bargin. What puckers up my knickers is putting in $60 of gas on Monday and doing it again in a few days. Auuugh that's killing me. At least you have something to show for your $ when you buy a gun. :eek:

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 04:37:17 PM »
Ok I guess you guys are right about there being good deals left out there.  A Reminton rifle new for 305 is a good deal. I guess maybe what I was getting hung up on was. every time one of these gun magazines does an article on a gun. It seems the gun cost a grand or better.  Just tonight I opened my new issue of Shooting Times and I see an article on a Sig pistol  and one on a couple of HK's that were around 1000.00 +.  Now I know the HK is a great gun and I carried my sig 45 on duty till the finish was worn completely off, she never let me down once. Both are great guns, but 1000.00 guns?  Not in my mind. I didn't even bother to read the articles. Just turns me off.  Maybe I need to stop reading the magazines!

Paul S:   Sounds like you got a great shooting rifle there and I sure couldn't argue with that price. :D

Offline Dusty Miller

Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »
Hey, don't complain until you've paid the going rate in the PRC and then jump thru all the hoops required to buy a gun here!  Its a ZOO!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Rod B

Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »
Everything seems to keep going up;

Taxes, Guns, Cars, Gasoline, Electricity, Natural Gas, Food, Etc. :(

I suppose someday some of us will look back & say, "remember the good pricing we had on guns in 2005". :)

Rod. :wink:
Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon.
~Horatio Nelson

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 04:49:12 PM »
I have to say that guns aren't going up nearly as much as some stuff, like gas!!  I was looking through my buddies pictures and he had one from four years ago.... at a gas station where gas was $0.99!!!  But it is true...  prices are going up on everything.  Guns are becoming less of a commodity, and more of a specialized product...  There is definitely a lot more flash than there was 50 years ago.  With all the new regulations, and the truth is our new "technological" society is becoming more interesting in games and the internet (kick myself in the butt right here, as I'm on the internet) than the outdoors.  Which technology prices are right up there.  I think I might sell my computer and buy a couple more nice revolvers....   :-D  :-D  :-D
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 07:38:40 AM »
I don't know if it's because of the law suites or not, my guess would be no, but the prices of guns are going up. Well, the prices of everything is going up too.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 01:36:48 PM »
If you think back it cost a cowboy about a months wages for a gun. Based on that the prices haven't gone up a whole bunch.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline rockbilly

Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »
:D You are right, prices for guns continue to go up, but have you notice how expensive women are getting?  Seems like it cost more to trap the last one, and her upkeep is out of sight.  I never learn, always looking for a sharp one knowing she will be high maintenance........... :roll:

Offline PaulS

Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »
Well, the cost of guns hasn't got me down - its the gas to get to the range that I am having trouble with. I think if I can find a way to use powder to power my car it would be cheaper!
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
Prices on guns now days!
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 03:48:53 AM »
PaulS:  Your are right on that.  Filled my truck the other day, $154.00 and the tanks were about 1/4 full before I started.  The wife's van yesterday with two cups of coffee added, cost $81.00.  I am not sure how I am going to afford to start a tractor this year!  I have been thinking about making my own Bio Diesel!  :D