Author Topic: Any commentary on the Uberti Schofield?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline rvtrav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Any commentary on the Uberti Schofield?
« on: June 04, 2005, 04:33:11 PM »
Hello to all,

I have posted a similar query on the single action forum as well, But figured if anyone has put one of these guns through it's paces it has to be the CAS crowd.
   I've been looking real hard at the Uberti Schofield revolver, and at the Uberti Colt's as well. What information that I can find as far as test reports go etc. is always glowing and flolowery no matter what gun they are writing about.
   A Schofield is gonna cost me around $725, and the colt copies around $350 or so, I really like the looks of the Schofield, are they worth the extra cash?
  Are they rugged and durable? do they have any hangups or problems?
  If you've got any comments, I'd sure love to hear 'em before I'm $725 dollars poorer,
    Thanks, Rvtrav

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 02:19:43 AM »
I guess the question is what are you going to be using it for?  They can be finicky but not usually.  They aren't meant to shoot super hot loads in.  They do take a bit of getting used to if your used to a Colt type but they are neat guns.

Offline rvtrav

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 04:32:54 PM »
Hello Critter,

I like to do a great deal of informal plinking shooting, I am getting started into some local groups that are Cowboy action shooters, and although it sounds pretty mondane, I do shoot a bunch.
   I plan to shoot modest cast bullet loads for the most part, perhaps an occasional jacketed bullet load for hunting.(still modest with the charges)
  I'm really not into the 'soup it up' mentality, if I want a bigger gun, I use a bigger gun.
  Mostly I am concerned with durability and ruggedness as far as lots of shooting is concerned. I usually go through 700 to 1500 rounds a month, if It is my latest toy and a pleasure to shoot I may shoot more than that.
  I've heard that the Italian guns have some soft parts and wear/break with extended use, but several friends have the colt clones, and they seem to hold up well, maybe a replaced spring or a screw check occasionaly. Just worried about the model and design, if the Scholfield has any known short comings.

Thanks again, Rvtrav

Offline Flint

NA/Uberti Schofield
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 02:22:29 PM »
The Schofield (and the Russian) are probably the best fit and finished guns Uberti makes, some are almost flawless.  The bores are so smooth in my 44-40 Schofields that they don't even lead up, with the same bullets that will lead up the my Colt type Ubertis.

That said, they can sometimes break springs, usually the smaller hand spring or such (mine havenen't yet), but so will the Colt types, (or the Colt itself).  The Italians seem to have never gotten a lock on heat treating springs.

Trap shooters with their VERY expensive Perazzis always keep a bag full of springs at hand.

Because of the geometry and dimensions of the hammer, trigger and gripframe, they cycle a little slower than the SAA Colt, as your fingers and thumb are jointed in the wrong places, but they sure do reload fast.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline rvtrav

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 04:53:24 PM »
Many thanks Flint.
   I've just about convinced myself into that I just can't live without one, and Everything you said about their fit and finish is helping me along.
  I just have to convince myself that the shofield is worth that much more than the SAA, and wether the .44/40 or .45 colt?.......

Thanks again, RVtrav

Offline xpress19

uberti 45 schofield
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 08:22:30 PM »
Get a 45 ...

much easier to mess with ...Uberti makes fine guns ...

Just got my 5 and a half inch in 45 ...Cant wait to shoot it ..!!!

I also have a highwall in 45-90 and, sharps in the massive 45-120..

I like punishment ...!!

other guns .. Ruger 458 Lott, CZ 416 Rigby, Ruger 405 Winchester, got my order in for a Ruger 9.3 X 74 R, if they ever get the production going, Ruger 375 H & H, 340 Weatherby, 300 Weatherby. and a 204 Ruger...

Offline CyberSniper

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 03:44:28 PM »
Hmmmm....I think I know who this guy is !!!