Author Topic: Defective Brand-New S&W Revolver  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Mainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Defective Brand-New S&W Revolver
« on: April 03, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
As I posted  a couple of weeks ago, I purchased a brand-new S&W 629-6 .44 Mag. revolver.

The same weekend I picked it up at the dealer, I took it to the range and shot it.  I was happy with it; however, toward the end of the range session I noticed that the cylinder was becoming hard to open.  I had to tap it with the palm of my hand to open it.  I assumed that there was unburned powder under the extractor star which was causing things to bind.

Well, I've been busy the past couple of weeks, so this past weekend was the first chance I had to clean the gun after the range session (I did clean it immediately after I bought it).

When I went to clean it, the first thing I noticed was that the cylinder was hard to open, even with no cases in it (I had to tap it with the palm of my hand).  Upon opening the cylinder, I found the underneath of the extractor star to be clean, thus unburned powder was not the problem.

I proceeded to remove the cylinder and clean the gun.

Upon reassembly, I could not get the cylinder to close.  I discovered that the detent pin that fits into the front of the ejector rod is too long.  The ejector rod pushes against it without forcing it forward--i.e., the ejector rod and the detent pin stay parallel to each other.  Now, the cylinder won't close at all.

I'm taking the gun back to the dealer next Saturday to ship it back to the factory for repair.

This is my third S&W.  All three have been new (the others are a 4" .22 J-frame revolver and a 4506).  This is the only S&W with which I have had problems.

I'm not mad.  But I am disturbed because I bought a revolver FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF RELIABILITY.  

I'm also disturbed by the number of problems I've had with various different firearms.  It appears to me that the firearms industry fails to make a product for the casual user (i.e., anyone who's not a gunsmith, tinkerer, armoror, or firearms fanatic)--you need to watch these things like a hawk to guard against breakdowns and you need spares for those that stop working.  This shouldn't be happening.  The industry has had 100+ years to perfect today's firearms and their manufacture. :evil:
NRA Life Member

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 05:51:08 PM »
Sorry to here about your troubles.  I have not bought a new smith in years so I can not comment on them.  Never had any trouble with them years ago.  I have a couple of older ones and they are all good.

I will say that I have to agree with you to a point.  Seems like everything is getting cheaper and cheaper made but prices are going up and up.  Seems like craftsmanship is getting farther and father behind the drive for the high profit margin. Not only guns but cars and anything else you can think of.  Any more I get real excited when somthing actually works as advertised!

I sure hope yours is just a fluke and they will have it back to you in no time.  :D

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 02:35:23 AM »
I have bought 6 New S&W revolvers in the past year and none have had a problem. I bought 4 of the 460's a 500 Mag and a Model 629P. All function well.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 02:55:45 AM »
:D Wow 4 of the 460's.  Redhawk you must love that caliber.  I have read about it but have not seen one or seen one used.  I guess from what I read it's really something!  :-)

Mainer probably got one bad one in the lot.  Like I said I have a couple (not new) and they are good guns!   :-)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 03:27:01 AM »
Skeeterbaymac, I am down to 2 of the S&W 460 Mags, I kept 2 of the 7.5 inch PC models and one 460 Mag in an Encore. I have sold all my other revolvers from 375 Mags to 454 Casulls. I only have 460 Mags and 500 Mags for handgun hunting. In my opinion the S&W460 Mag is a very versatile gun.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 06:49:32 AM »
Had a similiar problem with my 625 Moountain Gun a few weeks ago.  On it the ejector was unscrewing from the cylinder and was causing interference with the detent.  You might want to check it.  It has left hand threads.  If it is loose do not overtighten it, just put some locktite on it and snug it down.

I put a post in the gunsmithing forum and got the answer to fixing mine.  Funny thing was the first reply was "Sounds like the infamous loose ejector rod".  Now if it is that much of a problem, why don't S&W put some locktite on it to start with.

I also agree about the poor quality.  About half the guns I have bought the past few years have had problems (from different manufactures) and a few had to be sent back.  The bad thing is that 3 of the trouble free ones have been Benneli's made in Italy and a CZ made in Turkey.  I have pretty much said that I am done buying new guns.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 11:35:50 AM »
Just goes to show you that you can have problems with ANY manufacturer...S&W is not immune to quality control issues...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 11:58:26 AM »
Gotta jump in here just so there's anothr Mainer responing in this thread.  
   Hope your probelsm are taken care of and you're back out on the range with that Smith soon.  Gotta get that dialed in before fall.  :wink:
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 12:20:28 PM »
:eek: I have a safe full of Smiths, both revolvers and auto.  Over an almost 50 year period, I have had problems with only one, and it a simular problem to yours.  Mine was bought used (a K-22 Masterpiece) and had been fired quite a bit before I bought it.  I sent it back to the factory for a complet re-work including blueing.  When it was returned (about 4 months later) it looked and functioned like a new gun.

When you consider the number of guns they turn out each day you expect one to have problems every now and then.  The proof of the pudding tho is how quick it is repaired and returned to you.

I am sure you will be pleased when you get it back. :D

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 12:46:56 PM »
It does sound like the ejector pin is loose.  Just remember it's threaded backward and see if screwing it in fixes it. As for those of you who seem shocked that an S&W wouldn't work right go out and buy a 22A.

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 03:50:01 PM »
Bullseye hit the nail on the head. :D   The ejector rod screwed down into place.

I feel stupid that all it took was such a simple fix :oops: , but I saw nothing about it in the owner's manual.  A problem like this could get a person killed by preventing him from loading or reloading his firearm.

Why doesn't S&W mention this in the owner's manual?  How many guns do they have sent back to them for this issue because the owner simply doesn't know how to correct it?
NRA Life Member

Offline Bullseye

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 04:33:21 PM »
Glad that is what it was and it is easily fixed.

I am not on a S&W bash, but I must say that I never owned one until about 6 months ago and I now have three.  When I had the problem with my Mountain Gun, my 657 was at Smith at the time because it was rolling a big burr on the sides of the rectangular lock holes in the cylinder and the cylinder was catching.  My Mountain Gun also has a hitch in it and the hammer sometimes will not cock but it is slowly working itself out.  My other is a 617.  No problems with it so far, but I have not seen the great accuracy out of it that they are suppose to have.  I recently put a scope on it to give it a good test.

Like I say, I am not on a bash, but for the money I have in those three guns and two of them have had problems in the first 300-400 rounds is not good.  Guess I will put up with them since they are hopefully fixed now, because I like them better than any other brand revolvers I have had (and no I cannot afford a Freedom Arms).

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
product liability issues
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 10:11:12 PM »
I read this thread and I start thinking about the anti gunners who rant and rave that there is no Govt product standards and their efforts to ruin our gun makers with various harrassment.  

I would hope the makers would tighten up their QC on their own before the antis find an opening to shove something down their and our collective throats.

The industry can't afford to be sloppy and they better wake up.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline JD11

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 04:38:44 AM »
Mainer, (and others with new S&W's) if I may ask how's your trigger pull?  I just bought a 329 44Mag and we are definitely NOT talking lawyer trigger here.   Light is nice, but this one is so light when cocked I have to be very careful when firing with gloves on.    I had the pistol in my truck at an event last week where S&W had a booth with reps and they said they were getting away from the lawyer trigger deal but I'm sorry now I didn't bring it in and get their opinion as to whether mine has a problem.  Anyone else's new models seem extremely light?

Offline Bullseye

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 06:39:46 AM »
All three of my triggers were right at 4 1/2 lbs with no creep.  I changed the rebound springs in them and they are now about 3 lbs 4 oz.  It is funny that they all are about the same within a few ounces.

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 03:39:47 PM »
Dand: I agree entirely that self policing by the firearms industry would be a prudent step to guard against anti-gun legislation creeping in under the guise of "regulatory standards."

JD11:  The single action trigger pull is excellent.  Far lighter than the single action trigger pull on my .44 Mag. Ruger Bisley Vaquero.  So much so that it startled me, and I almost put the first single action shot off the paper at 50'.  The double action pull is heavy but very smooth.
NRA Life Member

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 03:48:42 PM »
my s&w  460 x-frame had a slight catch right when the trigger would break.   not actually a defect but an annoyance.
sent it back to s&w, returnes in a custom shop box with the best trigger pull i have ever had - and i've got a tuned python and full custom shop 629 to compare it to!!
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline JD11

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 04:55:02 AM »
The single action trigger pull is excellent. Far lighter than the single action trigger pull on my .44 Mag. Ruger Bisley Vaquero. So much so that it startled me, and I almost put the first single action shot off the paper at 50'. The double action pull is heavy but very smooth.

Thanks Mainer and others, your's sounds a lot like mine, and like you, I was used to my Vaquero.   My Smith will take a little getting used to, I've only put about 50 rounds through it.  I wish I had a trigger pull scale then I'd have an accurate figure.

Offline Doc TH

S&W ejector rod
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 04:13:50 PM »
Had the same problem with a new 686.  Tightened it up (added loctite), no recurrent problems.  However, my much older Model 13 3" has never had the problem.  Old vs. newer manufacture? - Maybe so,