Author Topic: recommendation for rings and base  (Read 379 times)

Offline harvester

• Trade Count: (6)
recommendation for rings and base
« on: April 17, 2006, 04:36:43 AM »
hello gentlemen -

i've got my first savage rifle on order, due to arrive sometime in may.  its a 114 euro classic - with the monte carlo stock, chambered in a 30-06.

i'd like to get the scope base and rings picked out, wondering if anyone had recommendations.  i've read that the 114's are the same action as the 110, and the same rings can be used.

the scope i'm putting on it is a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40mm fixed power.  its 11" long, with 3.25" of eye relief.

i've been told i can use low rings, and i'd like to, but the 40mm objective on the scope seems like it might require medium height rings.

any suggestions?

Offline safari

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 09:48:18 AM »
If it were me I would definitely use Burris Signature rings, they have the synthetic inserts that wont mar the scope and will compensate for any mis-alignment of the rings or bases. The Signatures don't come in low so medium would be what you want. These come in standard, dual dovetail, or Weaver Zee style. Dual dovetail is my first coice of any rifle that the bases are available, then the standard style, which is front dovetail and rear screw locking. Then the Weaver style if you need a detatchable style for using iron sights or swapping scopes. All of my rifles have Leupold bases(I think they look alot better than the blocky Burris bases) , either standard or dual dovetail, and Burris Signature rings. Only once have I had to use offset inserts to get a rifle to zero, but they sure do work great when they are needed.
So, if it were me I'd order a set of Leupold Dual Dovetail bases, and a set of Burris Signature Dual Dovetail Medium rings, and you'll have a very nice setup when your Savage comes in.

Offline harvester

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 01:45:27 AM »
thanks for the advice!