Author Topic: Gunsmith in the West  (Read 941 times)

Offline M8ball

• Trade Count: (0)
Gunsmith in the West
« on: April 20, 2006, 07:42:59 PM »
Let's say you've had a custom reamer made up, you've got an action, and you've picked out a barrel.  Now who do you take it to?  In most gun magazines there are scads of ads for gunsmiths who do custom work, but I've seen enough "custom guns" in shops and shows that were so crudely built or finished it was scary.  

Anybody got a favorite smith who specializes in building wildcat rifles?  I've been looking around my area (Northern Colorado, Wyoming) for such a person but the only good candidate is Z-hat in Casper, and despite repeated attempts I can't get a single response.  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
Gunsmith in the West
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 03:18:20 AM »
Let see have Dave Sullivan,Westwind rifle in Erie Co @ (303) 828-3823.  Mark Chanlyn of Rocky Mtn Barrel @ (303) 823-6270
GRE'TAN Rifles in Kersey , Co @ (970) 5940
Mark Chanlyn makes his own cut rifle barrels up in Longmont, Co and he can put together a pretty nice rifle.   He would be the first one I'd call.  Well good luck.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Gunsmith in the West
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 05:25:35 PM »
I hope that Montana is close enough. I Live in Arkansas & I send my work to this guy, he is no doubt one of the best in the Nation. His name is Kirby
Allen. He builds alot of Custom rifles, in fact he has his own line of wildcat
cartridges that are making quite a name for themselves. I sent my Sendero to him last summer & the rifle is in a different class now. E-mail him with what you want to do & I promise you WILL be impressed.
His E-Mail is   kballen@3rivers.net
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Gunsmith in the West
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 02:52:54 AM »
Here in Albuquerque you can call Charley at Score High Gunsmithing, 1-800-326-5632 or on the web at www.probed2000.com
He's the one who makes the single shot benchrest followers, pillar bed kits, epoxy, and does great custom rifles.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline M8ball

Gunsmith in the West
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 06:58:24 PM »
Thanks guys.  I don't suppose any of you fellows can post a picture to show off your favorite 'smith's talents?

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Gunsmith in the West
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 04:27:04 AM »
No, I am sorry, I am slowly but surely advanceing to the Hi-tech Redneck
stage, but I need a new digital & will have one soon. However, you can see alot of Kirby's work on  www.longrangehunting.com

Plus if you e-mail him for pics, he can send you plenty.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.