Author Topic: Opening morning turkey update for Kentucky  (Read 332 times)

Offline kylongbeard

• Trade Count: (0)
Opening morning turkey update for Kentucky
« on: April 17, 2006, 03:40:23 AM »
Well, I must say I'm completely satisfied with my 10 Ga. SB2 at this point. I had a wonderful opening morning. Worked 3 birds before I finally shot one at 9:30 A.M. He got within 20 yds befoer I pulled the trigger. I placed the BSA Red Dot right on his throat and let it fly! At 20yds, the Kicks GT choke tube practically took his head right off. He did a complete back flip and slid down a hill. Not much movement after that.

On a different note. My brother-in-law and I had met back up at the house at 9:00 to discuss our strategy for the second round of hunting for the morning. He had already shot one after 15 minutes of hunting Sat. morning. He wanted to do the calling for me this time. I agreed and I must say it is totally different when someone else is calling for you. All I had to do was worry about making a good clean shot. He sat-up about 50 yds beyond me and called him in within 20 yds. What a rush. I've taken many birds at this time in my life, but this is the first time I've ever had someone else do the calling. It was a blast. Not to mention that I had a good friend to celebrate the hunt with (as it was really both of ours). After a few high-fives and handshakes, we weighed him in at 19.5 lbs. He had just over 1 inch spurs and a 9 inch beard. Not a huge bird, but not too small either.

Good luck to all and thanks for allowign me to share my hunt with you guys.

kylongbeard

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:30:13 AM »
Congratulations kylongbeard! Our season opened today too, but my hunt doesn't start until May 1st. :cry: I'll be ready when it gets here. :grin:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline moose

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »
KYlongbeard...........so the red-dot iscope is working good :eek: ..congrats on the gobbler :D

Offline kylongbeard

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 03:31:01 AM »
Thanks Moose and Busta.  Yep...the scope worked just fine.  However, with all the excitement, I did forget to turn the scope off right away.  I remembered about 5 minutes later.  I have to get used to turning it off.  Going back out this weekend and hope to get a little longer shot this time.  Everything happened so fast on this bird that I really didn't get a chance to keep the scope on him very long.  I would like to be able to get about a 40 yd shot at one next to really try out the Kicks GT with the scope.  The pattern is so tight with the Kicks tube that I was afraid I could miss him at 15-20 yds.

Good luck everyone! :D