Author Topic: Sulfuric Acid vs Aluminum Alum  (Read 1111 times)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Sulfuric Acid vs Aluminum Alum
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:49:54 AM »
I've heard of many people using a two step process, pickling and then tanning, with two different solutions for hides such as bear, you guys have any experience with this?  And what do you see as the benifits or drawbacks of using sulfuric accid vs aluminum alum, and will there be a difference when using these two on different thicknesses of hide?  I'm a very do it myselfer type, and would like to try and get my bear hides perfect myself instead of taking them to a taxidermist.  Thanks for any help.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Sulfuric Acid vs Aluminum Alum
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 09:29:29 AM »
I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2 chemicals, but I do know that bear hides are not easy to flesh.  You have to remove a lot of tissue to get it to a decent thickness and its very easy to cut through it.  We sent mine out to be tanned before we mount it.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne