Author Topic: OT but looking for traffic  (Read 508 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
OT but looking for traffic
« on: April 21, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »
If you are interested in a Golf Forum here at GBO please click on the following link and vote. Thanks.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=90712
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »
I think it would be interesting for those times we are not shooting. I play and also fit, make, and repair clubs. I even leave a couple of sets of older clubs for myself and my wife at my camp in Maine. There is a nice little course about 5 miles away, the "Whitetail Golf Course" in Charleston, Maine. It is run by a nice young couple with GREAT food. It used to be a farm run by one of their grandfathers and is surrounded by prime deer country. As they say in Maine, "It don't get much better than that". If we are lucky enough to get it, those that don't play don't have to visit it if they don't want to, it would not hurt them or GB's in any way. For anyone interested it might be a nice place to learn a bit about golf....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 05:19:39 PM »
MSP,

I've just picked up the clubs again after laying them down about 23 years ago.  My (at that time future) Farther-in-law got the golf bug for a few years and he would drag me out to go golf with him from time to time.  Even though I seemed to have a natural knack for the game, I beat 'Dad' just about every game we played and may have been one of the reasons he quit playing, back then I thought the game was about as exciting as watching grass grow and never got into it.  Well I recently did some work at a private golf club and the manager said that I was welcome to use the facilities. So I borrowed a set of clubs and took him up on the offer.  Don't know if age has something to do with it but I found golf to be a lot more interesting this time, even though my game was a lot better 23 years ago.  'Dad' has given me his old clubs and I've been practicing my chipping and pitching out on the back 40.   :)  I plan to be up on the Cape the second week of July.  If we have time maybe we could hook up for a round, Andy.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 01:54:25 PM »
That would be great Brett. I played a little when I was 16 and then as you I put the clubs down for about 30+ years, what a silly game it was then. It does however seem much more interesting npw , if not more difficult!!! Get in touch with me as the time draws near and we will get together....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 02:09:37 PM »
Sounds like a plan Andy. We've chatted together on this forum seems like forever.  I'm looking forward to finally meeting face to face.  Any thoughts on where we could play? I only get up that way about once or twice a year and it seems to change so much every time I get up there.  Is the Pocasset Golf Club still in existence or is it a condo development now? I don't know if you need to be a member to golf there or not.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 03:34:59 AM »
I am not sure of the Pocasset Golf Club, however in that poart of the Cape the Broofside Golf Club on Rt 28 about 3 miles south of the Bourne State Police Barracks (D-7) has really turned into a fine course. They owner, Richard McCarthy has just added a big new Clubhouse. If you wanted to travel more towards Hyannis we could play at either Bass River GC or at Bayberry Hills, which is a great course and would be my choice. Brookside might be nice also, there are many courses to choose from on the Cape....<><.... :grin:

Offline Brett

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 10:30:04 AM »
Whatever course you think will work the best is fine with me Andy. I've not lived on the Cape for 27 years so you would know better than me. We can finalize the details when the time gets closer.

Brett

By the way.  It doesn't look like a golf forum is getting much support here at GBO which really surprises me since most of the guys I know who hunt & fish also play a little golf.  However, I have found a brand new golf forum site, administrated by a golf pro out of Albuquerque, NM  by the name of Ross Duplessis.  The site looks promising and he offers a lot of tips and free instructional video clips on the site. Here is a link to the forum: http://52.freebb.com/mygolftalk/

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 12:37:29 PM »
Thanks  Brett, it looks loke a good site and I have added it to my "Golf" favorites. By the way, did you see the names of some of the posters there? "Shotgunanglr" and "shooter mike" were two of the first I saw, I agree with you that many of my friends that hunt and fish also play golf....<><.... :grin:

Offline Brett

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 01:14:11 PM »
Did you check out any of the videos. They look real good. Very clear instruction.  

Oh, Don't know anything about 'Shooter Mike' but I've been told that that 'Shotgunanglr' character is a hard headed, opinionated old salt from the bay state.  :wink: