Author Topic: Decissions, decissions, 22" or 32"  (Read 383 times)

Offline Uncle Ji

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM EST
    • Hawaiian Style
Decissions, decissions, 22" or 32"
« on: April 24, 2006, 12:34:12 AM »
I've always wanted a 45-70 ever since shooting my dad's old Trapdoor Springfield almost 40 years ago.  I have my stainless barrel nickel plate receiver Handi Rifle in 223 but would like to add a 45-70 barrel.  My rifle has the synthetic stock so considering all aspects including asthetics of a long barrel on a nickel receiver synthetic stock.  My ideal would have been a 26" barrel but not sure I want to hacksaw the 32" barrel.  Anyone here ever ordered the BC 32" barrel for their standard Handi?  How does she look and perform.  What in YOUR oppinion are the pros, and cons 22" versus 32" barrels in 45/70.  Thank you gentlemen for your input.

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:17:55 AM »
uncle ji why dont you look round for a good second hand buffalow classic and get some good sights put on it.from what you said that you enjoyed shooting your dads springfield the two guns are quite similer,i presume that you just wont one for fun shooting whith. but they are  also orsum hunting rifles.heres a pick of mine to give you an idea.
bernie :D

if its feral its in peril

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 04:28:23 AM »
The 45-70 is a awsome gun in any configuration you have..short barrels are fun to tote around..long barrels give you a long siting plane to work with for open sites.Me personally..I prefere the feel and balance of the longer barrels..this goes a long way for shooting off hand..which is something I enjoy doing with them..When I get a 32" Buff barrel..it will be cut back though..probably to 26" or 28"..I will do this because I don't shoot black powder..and with todays modern powders that long of a barrel isn't really needed...It is more historically correct and needed if your planning on doing any period type shooting sports..but..for just hunting or target work it's not.The performance level levels off after the 28" mark with modern powders.The short barrels give almost as much..so it really comes down to personal preference..which is why most 45-70 owners usually want more than just 1 of them... :)

I've owned several Marlins with barrels ranging from 18-1/2" to 26"..and a nice Limited 22" Ultra..they all are capable of great accuracy and give spectacular results on game....Your nickled reciever will look good with any barrel lenght you choose...be it shorter than 22" or not....but if you elect to go with the full 32" barrel and want to shoot open sites..I highly recommend getting the Buff Classic stock to keep it original when you do..the stock dimensions will aid you in using the open sites...as too getting some of the laminated ones if you prefere without the Monte Carlo design....Quickdtoo and others have changed the curved metal butt plate and have added real nice recoil pads to tame the recoil down quite a bit and make it more enjoyable to shoot..and is something you might want to consider doing as well..Now..if you want to make a super hunting rifle and have it scoped...the regular 22" barrels are really nice as well..this was my Limited witha nice green laminated checkered stock set put on it..and a Limbsaver recoil pad added..I also added 2lbs of weight to the stock to aid in recoil reduction of my 300 grain Nosler loads..

Any way you elect to go will give you a super gun that you will enjoy for years to come..and a good start to you 45-70 collection which will surely follow.. :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
????????????
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:11:34 AM »
A thought.

Get a Buffalo Classic barrel on your frame and see how you like it at 32".  If you decide to shorten it and think you're goona like say ...... 26 inches, why not cut off with a hack saw one or two inches at a time to see how it feels and balances?, but leave a good 1/2 to 3/4 to 1 inch more than what you think you want it finished at - to give a gunsmith some metal to work with on the muzzle?

This is the process I might use when "adjusting" the length of the .45/70 I end up with.    8)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:33:46 AM »
Here's a similar previous thread on the topic...

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=90635
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain