Author Topic: Ruger vs S&W  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Ghostrider_23

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger vs S&W
« on: April 19, 2006, 02:05:30 PM »
I am looking atgetting a new revolver and I'd liketo go with either a S&W airweight or a Ruger SP 101. I've decided to get it in 357 2" barrel but I have not shot either one and can not find any to rent. S&W is smaller and is lighter by 10 oz. The Ruger is made of Stainless steel which I like would last alot longer. So what do you think can you help a person out if you have shot either one and can give some input? Which one is a better shooting gun???? Pros & Cons Please :-D

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
Neither is a pocket gun.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 03:17:05 PM »
You can have a lot more power, and a lot more controlability in other, belt size autoloaders. For instance, in a J frame, 2.2" barreled 357, 125 gr jhp .357's are 1250 fps (at best). It's very easy for a 5" barreled, 8" long 9mm to get a 125 gr jhp to 1250 fps. The difference is that you can easily learn to get .20 second repeat hits with the 9mm, you will probably never get repeat hits with full charge mags, from a j frame 357, in less than .40 second. Why give an attacker ANY extra time in which to harm you? He might get off several "mere" .22's at you in that time, and any one of them can maim or kill you, or a loved one.

He doesn't HAVE to stop you instantly. He doesn't CARE about harming innnocents. You have to care, and you have to stop him instantly (or trust to LUCK). So you have to let him start first, and you have to be much better prepared than he is, or luck WILL be the main determinant of the outcome.  The 357 snub is a bad choice. The Ruger will be a bit easier to manage in rapidfire, but heavier on your person. The Smith will have a better trigger pull, the ruger will stand up longer under lots of full charge practice ammo.  The Ruger will probably cost a bit less.  

I suggest that you look at a good 9mm instead. Like a couple of Star BM's, at less than $200 each, from Aim Surplus, J &G Sales, or SOG Int'l. That price is with a spare mag, retail, out the door, taxes paid.  7.2" long, 8 rd single stack mag, 28 ozs, nice sights, trigger pull, safety lever. It's a simplified, compact variant of the 1911, an SA auto, very durable and reliable.

Load your Star BM 9mm with CorBon's 100 gr PowRBall jhp's, for 1500 fps and 500 ft lbs of power, with very good reliability of feeding and expansion of the bullet.  Practice with one, carry the other. Then you need not worry about wear or fouling getting to the carry pc. Of course, you need to put 200 rds of practice ammo thru it (and repeat every year) along with maybe 50 rds of your actual "carry" defensive ammo) but the other 2-5000 rds of annual practice firing should be done with the "practice-spare".  

357 snubs, especially the smith, can't tolerate much in the way of full charge firing. 2000 rds, at most, for the smith, before major problems will surface. The ruger might go 5000 such rds. Still, as hard as a 357 snub is to control, you NEED to fire  5000 rds a year out of it, to achieve and maintain just a semblance of ability to use it well enough for defense. That much practice with a good SA 9mm will make you many times more defense-capable.  it's just a lot easier to use the 9mm well.

9mm practice ammo is `10c a shot, 357 ammo is about 2x as expensive. You don't learn to control the 357 by practicing with 38 ammo,. and .38 ammo has considerably less stopping power than the 9mm Corbon load.  Also, for under $200, you can find a used, 4", skinny-barreled variant of the Buckmark Browning .22lr, which has sights, safety, trigger, etc, close enough to that of the Star to make it a good "understudy" for you, on your way to mastering the Star 9mm.  At a savings of 8c a shot, the Buckmark will pay for itself in a mere 2500 rds, and you can always sell it for $125. So it really pays for itself in 1000 rds.  1000 rds is just a nice day at the range, or 2 half days in a weekend.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
Ruger vs S&W
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 04:48:48 PM »
The Ruger is a better shooter the S&W Airweight is a better carry gun, a better comparison would be the Ruger SP101 with the S&W M60 3"
I carry a S&W M49 and it carries well and shoots well.( I also carry a Sig 225 sometimes ) :D

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Re: Neither is a pocket gun.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 04:59:36 PM »
slink, I'm just curious, when people ask a question regarding 'A' or 'B', why do you always seem to answer wih 'C'? Maybe the author is asking about revolvers for a particular reason. For example, Lehigh County Sheriff Deputies are not allowed to carry autoloaders on duty. Armed security guards in Florida are limited to revolvers in .38special. Etc. So telling such an individual to get a Star BM is completely useless information.

I don't know what Ghostrider_23 particular situation is but I trust that he narrowed down his choices to a S&W airweight or a Ruger SP 101 for good reasons and we should respect that.

Ghostrider_23, to answer your question. I own both a 340 and the SP101 and you have to make certain trade off's. A 340 is much easier to carry and you can almost forget that you are carrying it. However, even loaded with .38 +P's, it's still a handful. Putting .357mags into it is downright painful. The SP101, on the other hand, can shoot .38 +P's without a problem and even .357mags are manageable with practice. However, the gun is a bit bigger and about twice as heavy as the 340.

Quote from: slink
357 snubs, especially the smith, can't tolerate much in the way of full charge firing. 2000 rds, at most, for the smith, before major problems will surface.
References please.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
Ruger vs S&W
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 05:06:28 PM »
Mr Ghostrider: To answer your question.  I have a Ruger SP101 in 357mag.  It's been a good gun and has put up with a lot of abuse. Never a clitch never a hitch and it is plenty accurate for what it is.  I have actually qualified with it before so it is accurate enough for personal protection. I have owned and used several Smiths and a Colt with a 2" barrel and my SP101 is more accurate, (read that's my results) some may have different results. It's also is a bit heavier and larger than the chief Specials and Colt.  But it's still small enough to stick in my jean front pocket. I also carry it a lot in my back pocket and the grip sticks out just enough for me to get ahold of it. I would buy another without question and you would be well armed with one.  :D

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
smith quit making the K frame in 357, cause it wouldn't
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 05:15:24 PM »
handle more than about 2000 rds of full charge ammo, before having problems (HP White lab tests, 1980's) You expect a J frame to last longer?  :-) hell, even .38 snubs can't handle much of the plus P  38 158 gr lhp load, 1-2 k of such ammo and they are out of time, distorted, etc.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.

Offline Old Griz

Ruger vs S&W
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 09:57:26 PM »
:cb2: The Airweight will be easier to carry, because it's so light, however, the Ruger is much more plesant to shoot because it is heavier, and your hand is a bit closer to the center axis of the bore which also helps with felt recoil.

When S&W beefed up their J-frames to handle .357s, it was in response to the SP101. I remember more than one writer describing the small S&W .357s as "punishing." My wife shoots her SP101 with ease, and I promiseĀ—if it hurt her at all, she wouldn't shoot it!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
Ruger vs S&W
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 02:41:25 PM »
I agree with Griz.  If you want to carry every day and shoot a little, go with the S&W.  Ruger is heavier, but MUCH more pleasant, and probably one of the most durable revovlers on the market.  Both nice guns, though.

Offline NYH1

Re: Neither is a pocket gun.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 06:40:49 AM »
Quote from: Sir Knight
slink, I'm just curious, when people ask a question regarding 'A' or 'B', why do you always seem to answer wih 'C'? Maybe the author is asking about revolvers for a particular reason. For example, Lehigh County Sheriff Deputies are not allowed to carry autoloaders on duty. Armed security guards in Florida are limited to revolvers in .38special. Etc. So telling such an individual to get a Star BM is completely useless information.
Good point.

Ghostrider_23, if you're gonna shoot this pistol a lot you might want to look really hard at the SP101. It's just a bigger pistol and will be a little easier to shoot. If you're not going to shoot it that much and will mainly just use it as a carry piece them a S&W Airweight is a good choice.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline jimmyp50

• Avid Poster
.....the better shooting gun....
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 07:27:43 AM »
This was your original question.  No doubt the better shooting gun is the Ruger as you will enjoy shooting it more, it will be easier to hit with, and will withstand more punishment.  If it is a carry gun you seek and you like the Ruger, get a good leather hip holster to carry it in (I presume we are talking about a short ruger here).  All of that aside I carry a Smith Airweight titanium because I am not looking for the "better shooting gun" but the easiest to forget I am carrying it gun!! Don't let anyone fool you a short .38 can hit a pie plate 5 out of 5 times at 15 yards with good regularity and unless you are Rambo Jr. or Mr. Mall Ninja you do probably (statistically speaking) do not need anything better.  Personally I can break clay pigeons with my DAO smith at 15 yards but I am not you and you are not me!! Get the Ruger and bang away!!
Jimmyp50Georgia

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Ruger vs S&W
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 02:22:23 AM »
Ghostrider - here's the skinny.  The Ruger is a rock solid little hunk (and I mean hunk) of steel.  It will go ya for a long, long time shooting whatever 38s you want to shoot.  But, it is a heavy chunk of gun.  The S&W J-frame is much lighter and is just as sturdy.

Do not be misled by slink's last post.  The problems S&W had with the K-frame 357s was the ammo they shot, the high speed hps, that used fast buring powder that caused erosion of the somewhat fragile spacers at the end of the cylinder.  Those very same K-frames held up to any of the heavier 357 loads that used slower buring powders.  I used to shoot silhouette with a pair of K-frame Model 19s using 200 gn slugs, and they would shoot, and shoot, and shoot, and then shoot some more.  

The older J-frame S&W snubnoses were not rated to +P performance.  However, S&W changed that after one gunwriter put two J-frames, one older an done newer through a 2500 round torture test of mixed bag +P loads and those revolvers both survived the tests and even shot better afterward.  They were also more accurate reported the article I read.  Following this S&W performed some minor re-working on their J-frames and they are now rated for +P use.  

All that being said, you really don't need +Ps in a 38 snubbie, you get more blast and bark than oooomph.  And the grips that come on the S&W snubbies should be the first thing to be changed - I put a set of Pachmyers on both my snubbies and they feel 'very right' as son as I grip the piece.  You may not want a 357 J-frame snubby - again, more blast and bark than the 38 and not enough 'ooomph' from a 2" bbl to make it owrth the effort.  If you do not reload I would suggest you consider it.  The 38 is a reloader's dream.

Accuracy - pal, I can hit a 12" gong at 100 yds with both my snubbies.  There are more 'snubby' clubs out there than you can shake a stick at and ringin' the gong at 100 m is a great confidence builder and a lot of fun.  You toe the line with some of those folks and ring that gong once or twice and you just might never change your mind.  

I loaded up some 200 gn semiwadcutter 'bowling pin' loads over a factory Winchester powder charge and had a one hole ragged group at 25m.  You could practically see these things moving downrange on a winter day with clean snow on the range but man, when they hit that gong it sang out and started swingin' like it had been wanged with a sledgehammer.  The real trick was to keep her singin' and swayin' with all 5 rounds but it was music to my ears and one incredible bunch of fun.  

It is your choice as to the revolver you want and although the Ruger is a solid piece, a new S&W J-frame will make you happy.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline Old Griz

Ruger vs S&W
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 04:48:02 PM »
:cb2: The Ruger has a one piece frame. It doesn't have a sideplate screwed on like the Smiths, Colts, etc. The only screw on the Ruger is the one in the grip. It has the edge on strength and "sturdy."
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."