Author Topic: Scoping a .44 Handi  (Read 539 times)

Offline Kentucky Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Scoping a .44 Handi
« on: April 23, 2006, 03:11:42 PM »
I am interested in getting a .44Mag Handi Rifle. I currently have a handi in .223 and am very satisfied with it. If I go forward with getting one in 44, I plan to put a low power scope on it, such as a Weaver V 1-3 for a short-range woods/brush rifle. My concern is this: Those handis such as my .223 have a monte-carlo stock which gets your face up higher for scoped shooting. Pictures of the .44 Mag (or any open sighted handi) do not show a monte carlo stock, but instead, a stock which appears to have considerable drop. Does anyone have one of these rifles scoped, and if so, is there a problem with too much drop in the factory stock? If I will have to lift my face off the stock to see through the scope, I will have to look at other options. Thanks for any advice you may offer.
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands...."- Charlton Heston, 2000 NRA Convention

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Scoping a .44 Handi
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »
I have several Handi's, Sportsters, and Pardners with the regular (non Monte Carlo) stocks on them with scopes mounted and there is no problem at all shooting them. I hear some here speak of "cheek weld" which is a term which must have been coined after I was introduced to shooting. It may have some signifigance to long range scope assisted shooting when time is of no consequence but I find a high Monte Carlo stock is of no help when quickley sighting in and shooting a scope equipped woods rifle in a hunting situation. If you find it bothersome where I do not, it is a very simple matter to swap buttstocks for a Monte Carlo style. I suggest you try it first with an open mind and then choose which stock you like best for your style of hunting. Best of luck....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Scope on straight stock
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 04:40:27 PM »
I don't have 44 Mag, But do have a 357 Maxie put 4X shotgun scope on it
 works just fine. I have to have a scope, tired old eyes just can't see
 open sights! :)  Marv.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Scoping a .44 Handi
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 04:44:29 PM »
I've used a scoped Handi with the low comb buttstock before...your eye will most likely be way to low with a comfortable check placement.
And same with open sighted Handis using a Monte stock...your eye will most likely be too high, causing you to slouch down on the stock to align your front blade with the rear. Which is quite uncomfortable.
Open sights-Low Comb/Straight
Scoped -Monte
Thats my preferance, and the main reason they are offered are to suit which sights you choose to use.
And as MSP said, switching out stocks in a breeze. So use what you are comfortable with.
-Aaron

Offline Uncle Ji

• Avid Poster
  • ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM EST
    • Hawaiian Style
Scoping a .44 Handi
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 05:31:11 PM »
If you already have a Handi in 223 with a high comb why don't you just get that receiver matched with a 44 barrel?  You'll save money, and space in your gun locker too.  :grin:

Offline Kentucky Shooter

Scoping a .44 Handi
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 01:23:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I may give that extra barrel some thought---what is involved there? Does the rifle have to be sent back to the factory?
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands...."- Charlton Heston, 2000 NRA Convention

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Scoping a .44 Handi
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 03:11:20 AM »
Hello KY Shooter.

If you want to purchase the barrel new from NEF, they require that you send them a frame and stock (although some on this site have sent just the frame in due to experiancing damaged stocks during the process.  Others send the frame with a sythetic or dinged wood stock).  If you purchase the barrel from another source, there are barrel fitting instructions in the FAQ area that provides details on how to fit it to your frame.

If you send a frame to NEF, you may want to consider having a trigger job completed, if one is needed.  There are posts regarding this and the benefits of doing so.

Good luck.

EVOC ONE

Offline 9x19

• Trade Count: (3)
Scoping a .44 Handi
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 05:30:50 AM »
Rarely does one size actually fit everyone... I have no trouble getting a good cheek-weld using the non-monte stock.