Author Topic: how much camo do you use?  (Read 922 times)

Offline 340wby

• Trade Count: (0)
how much camo do you use?
« on: December 21, 2003, 06:11:47 AM »
IM a huge beleiver in properly used camo, I know that some of you guys aren,t and when your willing to take long range shots I can readily see where camo has a limited effect on success, but I always try to get in as close as possiable before shooting for extremely percise shot placement, ,I personally feel that trying to get to under 50 yards before firing adds a great deal to the challange and satisfaction of the hunt! now that in no way means I won,t take a 300 yard shot if that as close as I can get,but I will pass a reasonable  300 yard shot if I feel I can get close almost every time! and yes I practice at long range frequently. but over the years I have seen good camo make a big differance in how close I, and other hunters can get before being spotted

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-camo-3d-leaf.htm

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 04:14:29 AM »
340, you sure do look like part of the forest.  For myself, I wear wool clothes and an orange hunting vest (required in Michigan - the orange that is).  I shoot all my deer withing 60-70 yards, and get by with just breaking up my outline and sitting still.  Yearly I have deer come with in 10 yds of me with no problem.  I guess I am more of the old school of hunters.  But I gotta admit, you look pretty cool.  Just dont sneak up on me someday and give me a heart attack. :lol:

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline 340wby

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 04:59:23 AM »
thats not me in the picture but IT might as well be because it looks almost identical, Ive had numerous hunters walk by at 5-15 yards and never give the slightest indication that I was there, Ive had deer and ELK pass within a few yards with no indication that I was there also,thats one of the reasons Im convinced it helps. now Im not saying its necessary, and some of my friends wear black/green check wool shirts and brown slacks and still kill elk, but they also are making longer range shots on average, and see less game on average, by their own admission. you would be amazed at how your damn near invisable wearing that camo if your sitting in the shade under some low hanging branches on a ridge while watching for game to pass, so much so that Ive had hunters not be able to spot me even after speaking to them!, one guy only 5yards away almost jumped strait in the air he was so startled when I said" goodmorning! seen anything?" he spun around searching for me and still did not see me untill I stood, then was startled as if I arose out of the ground in front of him,we had a brief conversation, then he left. later that day one of my hunting partners mentioned having a conversation with the guy where he mentioned running into a talking bush, my partner had a good laugh but admitted that was a good description!

Offline ghostZ

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 05:07:28 AM »
I am not in the west but in the midwest...I hunt in Carhart duck brown on every hunt and don't have a problem with deer coming in to 15 yards.  I would use the camo but don't have the $ to put in on it.

Offline 340wby

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 05:32:51 AM »
the expence... is not that large, at about $40-$70
youll need one or two packs of SNEEKY LEAVES and a HEAD NET added to the normal camo

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-camo-3d-leaf.htm

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 06:16:26 AM »
:D I use camo when its legal to use but I have been within a few yards distance of deer without camo.I think that covering the hands and face are very important and the type of camo less important. Sitting in shade and having nothing shiney seems like a good idea. This said, I've shot many deer with a shotgun wearing blaze orange within 5 to 10 yards.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 12:39:37 PM »
While I do use camo I don't honestly think it is all that important. Motion and the human form are the two biggest things that spook deer other than them smelling you which is the end of it rat now. If you are still and not standing where the human outline is obvious you can get by with no camo and even when in orange. I have many times. I do agree that covering the face and hands with something really helps a white person as that white face and hands really shines. So does my white beard so I try to hide that somewhat.

I've had deer pass me at 15' or so when I was standing and leaning against a tree wearing orange hat and vest. They looked in my direction perhaps because the large blobs of orange looked out of place to them but went on about their business with no sign of concern over me standing there still as can be and looking like a knot on the tree and not a man.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 03:49:51 PM »
I wear full camo during archery and muzzleloader hunts, but not during rifle seasons.  It's just too dangerous not too make your presence known.

Not that I think anyone will intentionally shoot at someone in camo, but rather that they will not see you in the background when shooting at some game.  You could be lower down on the opposite side of the canyon and not be seen in the background.

Just like bird hunting, it makes it easier for your partners to keep track of you and not dropping shot down on you or worse.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 04:41:50 PM »
While turkey hunting I wear full camo.  Big game hunting I wear forrest green pants mostly(sometimes camo) and a camo shirt with a flo. orange vest and hat.  Not a law here in Calif. but I prefer to be safe than sorry.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline ghostZ

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 02:12:23 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
....So does my white[/i] beard so I try to hide that somewhat.

GB

WHITE??????  I thought it was grey? :-D  :)

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Camo Cola????
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2003, 05:01:49 AM »
With all the new camo products out there, just heard about some camo finished golf balls on television this morning.  

There is camo underwear in the stores, how long do you think it will take for them to begin marketing a camoflauge soft drink?  Camo cola, a soft drink to make you camoflauge from the inside out.  Now when I was a whole lot younger we used to drink hard stuff that make you feel you turned those colors, but I would not be surprised to see a camo soft drink marketed and selling.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003, 05:53:02 AM »
WHITE?????? I thought it was grey?

Once it was red.  :lol:  Then it was gray.  :eek:  Now it is mostly white.  :oops:  Time has been tough on this old fat boy.  :roll:

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline MarkJ_Thompson

Camo for big game?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2004, 07:51:21 PM »
In Washington State we have to wear too many freakin inches of hunter orange (modern firearm season)...That sort of rules out Camo being effective. Before the orange law I always wore what was clean in my dresser. The animals never criticized me for the the clothes I wore.  :grin: