Author Topic: A Ruger pistol question  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
A Ruger pistol question
« on: April 26, 2006, 06:29:50 PM »
Monday I bought my first Ruger firearm, a .22LR semi-auto pistol from Gander Mountain Houston store.  Both sales receipt and UPC label on Ruger box  said I had a Ruger MK4 pistol.

Nex day I open Ruger box to read instruction manual and notice it says Ruger MK II.  Examine pistol and it is stamped MK II.  Gee thought I had a MK4.  

Go to Ruger web site looking for MK4s or MKIIs and neither shown.  Realize that MKII is a discontinued model no longer shown on web site.  However they do have a MKIII-4 and found a picture of it on web site and it matches my pistol.  Only difference I can see is their picture clearly shows MKIII stamped on receiver and I have MKII on mine.  Study their serial number history chart and note it is for MKIIs and it goes to year 2005.  The history chart's 3 digit prefix used for 2004 is 224, 2005 is 225, so I assume my 226 prefix on pistol is for 2006 manufacture.

Called store and spoke to clerk who sold me pistol and explained what I had learned.  He was stumped too and could not explain why mine stamped MKII or why their system shows only MK4s.  Had two other version of this 22LR pistol with all shown as MK4s.

So, you Ruger experts out there, anyone have an opinion for me of why my pistol stamped MKII?

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
A Ruger pistol question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:15:47 PM »
call 928-778-6555. That is Ruger's customer service line...see if they can help.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Castaway

A Ruger pistol question
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 12:32:37 AM »
Easy way to check while waiting to call Ruger is to see if it has a magazine disconnect safety.  If so you have a mis-marked collector in you hands, if not, I'd take it back.

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
A Ruger pistol question
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:59:34 AM »
Gander Mt often marks their guns incorrectly on both the shelf tag and in their computer system.  The last gun that I purchased from them was an Acusport Bisley in 45 Colt and the shelf tag had it labeled as a Blackhawk in .30 Luger.  Not even close!  The reciept showed the same thing.  I've heard the same thing from others.  You have to know what you are buying when you do business with them.  I've also seen used guns in their used case that they are trying to sell for more than the identical gun new in the box.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
A Ruger pistol question
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 11:48:44 AM »
The Mark II (or III) is the series number and the MK4 is the model.  So what you should have is a Ruger Mark II, MK-4, which is a semi-auto .22 caliber pistol with a blued finish and a 4 3/4" barrel.  Were it a stainless one it would be a KMK-4.  If it were a Mark III series it would simply be a MKIII4.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
Gandermountain yuk
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 03:30:04 PM »
I bought a "new" Browning hi power 9mm in April 2006 from Gander. Gun malfunctioned from the get-go. Took it back to Gander who told me it would take them 5 weeks to take a look at it. After I got mad the gun smith took a look and said the firearm was "perfect'. Took it to the range and had the same problem. Ammo feeds but hammer doesn't go down every 10 rounds or so. Recently sent the gun to Browning. Found out from Browning gun was shipped to Gander 3 years ago!!! Contacted Gander who doesn't want to talk or acknowledge my letters. I guess they  know they sold me a used gun. Do yourself a favor-pay the extra money at a reputable gun store.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
Re: Gandermountain yuk
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 11:33:07 AM »
Quote from: 1marty
I bought a "new" Browning hi power 9mm in April 2006 from Gander. Gun malfunctioned from the get-go. Took it back to Gander who told me it would take them 5 weeks to take a look at it.  Do yourself a favor-pay the extra money at a reputable gun store.

I don't see where this is really a issue that Gander is responsible for.  It should've been an issue between you and Browning.  Gander didn't make it so why should they be the fall guy for a malfunctioning gun?

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
A Ruger pistol question
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 02:26:01 PM »
The issue is that Gander sold me a pistol which was shipped to them 3 years prior. I never heard of a gun store turning over their inventory once every 3 years. I suspect they took back the pistol from another customer and resold it to me. Last I'm buying from Gander not Browning-therefore, it's Gander who is responsible; they also guaranty all repairs on  firearms for 1 year; take it from me they never looked at the gun; now it cost me so far $20 to send it to Browning.

Offline Dusty Miller

A Ruger pistol question
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 09:20:19 PM »
Well, we live and learn in this world and one of the things I've learned is that a "bargain" often turns out to be a bargain for the other guy.  CAVIOT EMPTOR, or sumth'n like that!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
A Ruger pistol question
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 01:00:48 AM »
Quote from: 1marty
The issue is that Gander sold me a pistol which was shipped to them 3 years prior. I never heard of a gun store turning over their inventory once every 3 years. I suspect they took back the pistol from another customer and resold it to me. Last I'm buying from Gander not Browning-therefore, it's Gander who is responsible; they also guaranty all repairs on  firearms for 1 year; take it from me they never looked at the gun; now it cost me so far $20 to send it to Browning.

Turn over isn't always a fast process.  Some guns will sit for years before even being shipped from the factory.  What makes you believe this sat at Gander for so long?   You're suggesting they sold you a used gun as "new".  Now did you visually inspect this gun prior to buying it?  Any useage would've been evident regardless of it have been cleaned.  Not all useage is removeable.   While I think it's good they have the 1yr guarantee, does it state a turn around time?  If they told you a time that was too long for your lkes, perhaps they're busy with other work ahead of yours.   In regards to the $20 to ship it to browning, I'd rather trust the manufacturer with my gun than a regualar shop.  Better chance the issue will be fixed and also more likely any additional issues would be taken care of too and more likely than not at a lesser expense.   Would you rather have Gander test all thier guns for functionability?  :wink: