Author Topic: Jammed Ball - suggestions?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline CaptTHighbiter

• Trade Count: (0)
Jammed Ball - suggestions?
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:17:05 AM »
Got a lead ( I hope) ball jammed in the bore of a 1-5/8" diameter x 30 barrel ( no I didnt do it, it  came that way - e-bay buyers beware!).

ANy suggestions?  SO far I am going to try and drill a small pilot hole and then using a lag screw welded to the end of a long steel rod ( like an oversize ball puller) fashion a slide hammer of sorts to get it out.

Any other suggestions from you  learned folks?

Only other idea I have to have the thing drilled out at a machine shop, but not many are set up to do this type of work ( barrel weighs a good 150 lb and the ball is stuck almost at the far end).

Thanks!!
"Cannon bring class to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl"
http://thebrigands.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 03:28:54 AM »
Does it have a powder charge in it?  I would treat it as if it does.  Flood the breech through the vent.   Your plan is a good one.

Alternate plan: If the ball is close to the breech end dribble powder into the breech through the vent, place the barrel into a trench, and light a fuse the will give you time to back away and hopefully the ball will be blown out without damaging the barrel.

Alternate plan B:  If  you are absolutely sure that there is no powder in the barrel, heat the barrel and melt the lead out.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline CaptTHighbiter

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 03:53:18 AM »
Yikes, I didnt even consider that there might be an old powder charge in there.  Will flood tonight.

As far as trying to blow the ball out with a charge... hmmm.. too expesive a barrel to risk blowing the thing up.

heating it up..  thats an idea..  what would heat a brass barrel up enough to melt the lead but not weaken the barrel? Induction heating?

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 04:36:19 AM »
Any possibility there are two balls or two loads in it?  :shock:

Offline CaptTHighbiter

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 05:13:16 AM »
LOL, i'll let you know after I get the first one out. Only way I can think of to tell is to have the barrel x-rayed.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 05:47:15 AM »
I'd do what  Artilleryman said  Flush the bore first.  

Take some measurements and figure out how deep the ball is down the bore and figure out how much space you have behind the ball  and like Artilleryman said trickle some powder in lay it in a trench and shoot it  out.  You aren't going to hurt anything.

Keep in mind that the ball went in to were it is now and stuck and it is only stuck at that one spot.   I would go with the powder first. It isn't going to take much.  It will come out easier than with a slide hammer which also a good idea, that might not work..

It is going to take some serious Heating to melt a lead ball that big out of a cannon that big and I would be concerned about damaging the gun.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 06:59:35 AM »
I would not heat the barrel. I have cast a lot of bronze over the years and one way to reduce large pieces of bronze for the melting crucible is to heat them and break them up with a hammer. some bronzes break up at a fairly low temp. You will probably destroy the barrel before the round is melted. You might want to try compressed air first.

Max
Max

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 07:50:53 AM »
Try to figure out why it is stuck (oversize ball, wedge holding it, etc.)  Then deal with that first.

As said before, stick a rod down the bore and mark where the front of the ball is to see how much space is behind it.  Stand the barrel muzzle up and fill the bore with water.  It should seep past the ball and dribble out the touch hole.  You can monitor its progress by watching the water level lower down the bore.  If the water doesn't drain from the bore, the gun may have been spiked by blocking the touch hole, which will be another interesting exercise to free.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 05:17:30 PM »
Compressed air works quite well for getting objects out. although if you do this, be sure that the muzzle is clear for several feet.  Some times when rebuilding Hydrolic rams I use air to remove the ram, It can come out with some velocity. if your bore is 1.625" dia. with 120 psi you should have a total force of 249 pounds pushing on the ball. when it gives, be clear.  Once removed then check the bore for exactness in it's Dia. through the entire lenght of the bore. Ask your self why did the ball stick.  

good luck,    Rick
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline The Shootist

I you can beg/borrow/steal one...
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 06:29:18 PM »
a bore scope would slip down the barrel for a quick look-see.

Careful with the lag screw idea...it will tend to expand the ball as it screws in.

Try a drill, a size or 2 smaller than the bore, with a bushing fixed around the bit to keep it from comming into contact with the bore. Turned by hand, via a long shaft, the soft lead should be cut out in no time. The remaining bits should be easy to work out with a cleaning rod.

Keep in mind that a stuck ball has likely been pounded on and will be expanded to a very snug fit in the barrel.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 09:11:04 PM »
Another method to consider, especially if the bore is blocked such that water will not seep past the ball and out the touch hole, is to tap the touch hole for a grease fitting and pump up the space behind the ball with grease from a grease gun until it is dislodged.  The grease gun can be manual or an air operated one in a service station.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline CaptTHighbiter

Success!!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 10:58:35 PM »
Well I got the bloody thing out  and a more mishapen lumpy excuse for a ball I have not seen the like. No wonder this was jammed. Parting line and sprue gate still intact, looks ike someone took the ball straight  from the mould and tried to fire it.

after flushing it, i fashioned 2 bushings to keep the home made ball puller centered and screwed it home. After a few taps with the slide hammer, i knew it was coming out.  Now the bore is clear to the touch hole and to night she will speak for the first time in God knows how long. I have to say this is quite a well made barrel and I suspect it is far older then the carriage it came on.

My thanks to all for the suggestions and ideas!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 12:48:31 AM »
Ahhhh -  SUCCESS!

How about a few pictures for those who may encounter this in the future?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 01:11:41 PM »
please send pictures .... we all want to she her  :lol:

Offline CaptTHighbiter

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 02:37:46 PM »

The Bishop of Wolverhapton is the third one from the front.  Pictured is also our gunners mate, Butch Cannon