Author Topic: Golf balls not too accurate...Help  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.lioby.com
Golf balls not too accurate...Help
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2006, 02:53:37 AM »
going along with the nail idea, it won't be too hard to pop a little burr on the muzzle with a MIG welder. If it didn't work out it could be filed / sanded off

Offline kappullen

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2006, 03:23:02 AM »
Self sticking velcro is commomly used in industry to put a little resistance in feeding mechanisms.

It is used to retain blisters, in blister packing machines to limit the feed to one per cycle.

It would be easy to experiment with it in a cannon barrel, even if the velcro life is poor.

Kap

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2006, 04:00:24 AM »
Any kind of barrel restriction in a cannon bore is just asking for trouble and should be avoided!! If the projectile hangs it can drive pressures up guick and instead of a cannon you have  a bomb.

If you are using golf balls as projectiles then you must accept the limitations.

It's about safety guys!!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 05:38:51 PM »
Agree with DD.

The amount of pressure is AMAZING.

I once used a board under the tube of the mortar to adjust the elevation when I first made it.  One time the board extended just past the muzzle - the muzzle blast broke the board.  Anything in that area is subject to much abuse on every shot - consider it in your design.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2006, 03:36:56 PM »
Hi 30/40.  It appears that you might have one of the cannons I built, #0002 or#0005? If you do, thanks for the purchase.  I think the problem with the golf balls may possibly be the air speed of the ball is exceeding its aerodynamic design.  You might want to try cutting the powder charge back to about 100 grains or so and give that a try.  Use a foil pack to center the charge behind the ball.  My thought is that the coehorn golfball mortars use a reduced charge and the trajectory is more consistent than the  high charges normally used in a cannon.  The mortars have shorter barrels which should make them less accurate than a cannon, but but that doesn't appear to be the case.  I fired a golfball mortar with a high charge and the ball 'curved'.  With the reduced charge, it traveled a  straighter path.  Good luck.  Dom

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2006, 05:39:19 AM »
Dom,

That repsonse is about as plain as the nose on your face!!!   I'll bet you are right!!!