Author Topic: Problem keeping my Contender locked  (Read 716 times)

Offline dubber123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Problem keeping my Contender locked
« on: May 23, 2006, 02:56:29 PM »
I recently bought a custom 50-70 Govt' barrel in 6-1/2".  I had a problem with my dies and couldn't shoot it much until lately.  I started working up a load, and thought I had reached a real winner. ( I won't tell you my groups, you won't believe me anyways.)  I continued shooting and my groups started stringing up and down.  About 1 bullet wide, but a foot or more up and down.  My "Super Load" wasn't super anymore.  I finally noticed a firing pin mark I had seen once before with a really hot load, that indicates partial unlocking.  I blamed it on my grip before, but that isn't the case.  I loaded some way down, and the primers look fine and groups are almost acceptable.  I have lost serious power though, and point of aim is way off.  Does anyone make a stronger locking spring?  My locking lug is making full contact, no wiggle at all when closed.  I think the sharp recoil in the light gun is the problem.  Gun weighs just over 2-1/2 #'s.  I am shooting 450-500 gr. bullets.  Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline KN

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 03:25:11 PM »
You are exactly right. I had the same problem with an Encore barrel that I cut to 10" in 45/70. With full house loads it would unlock, some times throwing the empty over my shoulder. I figured the problem was actually that durring recoil, as the pistol rocked back in my hand, that the trigger guard was staying stationary and tapping the locking luggs as it fired.  I added another spring that holds tension on the trigger guard and it helped quite a bit. I have two springs in it, one over the outside of the other, sort of like a dual recoil spring setup. Ultimatlly I ended up doing some major porting to the barrel to greatly reduce muzzle rise and it cured it all together. I'm sure you know that the contender was never designed to handle the 50/70 and that high end loads will greatly reduce pistol life. If your barrel is not ported I would start there. Magna porting would probably be the best.  KN

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 03:52:38 PM »
Thanks KN for the quick reply.  I am going to disassemble my gun and start with shimming/replacing the locking lug spring. I never wanted to shoot maxed out loads, I wanted a 450 gr. at about 850 fps. in a short light gun.  Well I have the light ( 2 1/2 pounds). The short ( A little shorter than a 4" S&W N-frame), and I have gotten 500 grainers over 900 fps.  The latter aren't fun.  I have the early small wood grips that I like, but suck in the recoil department.  If a little tuning will make this thing dependable, I'll be happy.  If I can't keep it locked up with a 450 gr. at 850, well I guess it's off to the glue factory, so to speak!  Thanks again.

Offline KN

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 05:43:58 PM »
No problem, You would be surprised how much difference some well placed porting will make. It would turn that beast into a whole new gun.   KN

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 06:19:40 PM »
KN, I am hoping that the spring thing will accomplish enough.  I know that porting can work wonders, but I really like the looks of a plain barrel.  I actually only own 1 ported gun, a Marlin .44 carbine that came that way from the factory.  Why they bothered on a .44 rifle I don't know, but whatever.  I have added a 1/4" solid shim under the locking lug spring in the Contender that really makes the action snap shut now.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to investigate your setup with the trigger guard spring.  I haven't really torn into a TC that much, but I guess I may have to learn!  Thanks.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 04:49:26 PM »
Fired about 30 rounds today after work with the shim under the locking lug spring.  All primers look good now, and best group of the day was .885" at 50 yds.  The best shooting load was the hottest load that I tried, (not really hot), which is typical for this gun.   I think with the big case, it's hard to get consistant pressures until the case gets quite a bit of powder in it.  Anyway, the spring shim appears to help.  I have also just found out that Encore locking lug springs are the same diameter, but with a heavier wire diameter, and will add power to a regular Contender lock by simply trimming the Encore spring to length and flat grinding the end.  I have two of the Encore springs on the way, just in case my shim idea doesn't hold up.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 12:01:44 AM »
Any thoughts about how long that frame is going to last if you have to jimmy it to get it to hold up to the recoil?  You may want to keep a close eye on it, looking for stretching and cracks.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 04:16:52 PM »
Keith, I have no idea as to the longevity of this thing.  I can't really see how a 450 gr. at 850 should be that punishing to the gun, but I guess time will tell.  I have a 390 gr. wadcutter bullet that I tinkered with today, trying to get an even lighter practice load.  I got a couple groups under 1-1/2" at 50 yds, which shows some promise.  I didn't have time to chronograph them, but they are definately milder than the 450 grainers.  I am going to try Hodgdens new Trail Boss powder, which may help get the practice loads even milder, which will obviously be nicer to the gun ( and me).  I only have a couple hundred rounds through it so far, I'll post if anything goes askew.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 12:44:51 AM »
Be careful.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin